Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
 
Checking in for a quick update and to ask a question. So hip finally seems to be coming along,,wound from infection surgery and wound vac still havoc in my life. I see the wound dr today and have lots of questions. But my issue today is my knees and legs. Now that I'm trying to move a bit more, walk around the house, out for a occasional dinner, after sitting for a while, and then getting up to walk, my knees and/legs are very achey. Is this from them maybe getting atrophied from being so immobile for so long? Any particular light exercises I can do to strengthen them? Or is this a new issue I'm facing?

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
I remember having this issue too - pain for the first 5-10 steps maybe? I know others have said so also. Hopefully someone has some suggestions... other than just keep walking as you are able.
 
Hmm.interesting. funny thing, the glute pain I was having has subsided, but resulted in this new crop of knee/leg pain. Always encouraging to hear others have walked (limped) the same path.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Is this from them maybe getting atrophied from being so immobile for so long? Any particular light exercises I can do to strengthen them?
I am always intrigued that Americans always say their muscles are "atrophied" when all they really are is a little out of condition and weak. BIG difference!

So yes, this problem does occur when a person is inactive or under active for a period of time. But you will make up for it in due course so don't let it worry you. I find I have the same issue when I've spent all day on the computer or more lately, been suffering from a period of chronic fatigue syndrome which keeps me sleeping or at least 'resting' almost all day! After a few days of this, I certainly notice the difference when I get up to get a drink or visit the bathroom!
 
@shrinkette thanks for asking how I was. Thought I'd give a brief update here instead of on vetgirls post. I'm still struggling, but getting around a bit better. The wound vac will send me to a loony bin tho. Between where on my body it is, fighting creases and fat folds, and my skin really messed up from the tape, it's very hit and miss to get the vac to work and not leak. And from what the wound dr says, it will be close to another 3 months of this torture to live thru. I'm also halfway thru the 6 weeks, 3x a day iv abx. I saw the infectious dr last week and my bloodwork looks good, so trying to keep a good thought. I'm really so tired of sitting around all day, but still have to build up my stamina as even short trips out exhaust me. How are you doing?
 
Glad to hear there is some improvement in your mobility, at least! After all, that's the real name of the game. That wound vac would make me homicidal, I swear! I SO feel for you. And having those extra creases & folds doesn't help the situation, so I'd be in the same boat. Good sign that your bloodwork looks good, so there are some definite positives. Now all required of you is the patience of a saint & temperament of an angel. Soooo NOT!

Re me: Still hanging in there. Some progress when least expected as they say. My hip feels great, but it's the now-old story of my numb foot. I never knew this was a risk of surgery, particularly certain approaches. Anyway, the rate at which the nerves are coming back is exceedingly slow. Recently I was finally able to move my toes independently of my foot, which I can flex & walk heel/toe. It's still numb across the top & still have a few small areas straight up the back of my heel & on the left side of my lower ankle which are very sensitive ... almost feels like the nerves are close to the surface. If something rubs against those areas, it can be painful. I can therefore wear no shoes other than my Nikes; I again tried some slip-ons, but the top of the shoe hits precisely in those areas! I tried some sling-back wedge heels & while I'm too unsteady to be on the wedges, I think the sling back could work, so I'm gonna try to find flat sandals. I also can't put my own shoe on because I can't FEEL my foot although, yes, I can see it -- a very peculiar, disturbing sensation that also requires me to be dependent. But... I'm driving & moving/walking about more, although my stamina is lacking. The process is excruciatingly slow... I know you can identify with THAT! Well, that's my story & I'm sticking to it!! Keep hanging in there -- your day will come. :heehee:
 
Hi @dianehelen I apologise for not dropping in and offering my support.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm always thinking of you and hoping your infection gets cured without more surgery.

I found some comfort in planning a project or researching things that i haven't had the time or energy to do in the past. This has really helped me pass the time. I've made a photobook and ordered some photos, my phone and ipad is nice and organised too. I have been so devoid of energy that it's a shock to want to do stuff.

I really encourage you to get a second opinion...even if it is out of your insurance area. there were a few things that I would be alarmed about or were inconsistent with your DRs give pointed these out before ) and for a few hundred dollars it would certainly ease my own mind. I totally agree with Jaimie and Jo that the OS know way more about this stuff than other DRs. My OS sent me to a professor to advise in conjunction with himself on the best way to handle the infection.n you certainly want to get the right advice and get it sorted and a few hundred dollars is cheaper than what I'm going through..ok just my 2 cents worth.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers....hang in there

Xxx
 
Ughh @shrinkette the numbness sounds very frustrating too. But seems like you are making progress, albeit not as rapid as we would like, same here.

@Vetgirl thanks for your thoughts, but at this point I'm pretty confident that now 3 drs, specialist in 3 fields have been monitoring my bloodwork as well as my cultures. The cultures taken directly from the joint are still all negative, and will be watched for several.more weeks as some bugs can take up to 6 weeks to grow. But my surgeon, the infectious specialist, and the wound care specialist are all pretty confident that my infection was confined to the wound area and the joint is safe. I'm just putting my trust in them at this point.

And today I get to see one more dr, oh joy, today is my oncologist follow up, he also has been in the loop following my progress and issues. I am really about sick of doctors at this point.

All the very best to you for your next adventure, hopefully a successful one to give you your life back! Cheering you on

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks Diane @dianehelen

I'm really glad that you are happy with your team and it certainly is a team!!!!

I'm sure your day will come soon

See you on the other side....
 
Oh it went ok, he started me on Femara, blech, not looking forward to side effects of bone and joint pain, I have enough of that already. He knew most of my hip struggles, but I filled him in on the details. I actually have a whole week now of no damn dr appts. But then next week the infectious dr and the wound dr. I saw my OS also this week and he says all is coming along. I just wish I could be done with this damn vac, it's so omnipresent in my life. Tomorrow, for the first time in 3 months we are going to attemp the hour and 40 min drive out to our beach house. I.know I can't go to the actual beach, sadly, but I can have achange of scenery, sit by the bay and watch pelicans, drink some wine. Just concerned about sitting in the car that long. We shall see. Thanks for asking about me ;-)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen - the change of scenery will do you the world of good, even if you can't get the sand between your toes.

Pleased your oncologist appt. went well, sorry about the drugs and side effects.

Does ice or heat packs help with the journey, maybe at your back. I am 2.5 years post and we travel 3 hours nd I have to have a hot water bottle at my back, it helps in preventing me from becoming too stiff.. Oc course you are in a far different situation with the wound vac..

Enjoy the different scenery, I have been watching a family of sea eagles just 100m right in front of me catching the thermals... It is the little things isn't it xx
 
What are sea eagles? I.Love water fowl, I can watch pelicans for hours. The sitting is painful because of where the wound and vac are. I can't put ice on it, or heat for that matter.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Yes we watch pelicans, we seem to have a magic set of thermals that all the sea birds love to catch an d we have huge ceiling to floor windows with perfect views of them, literally 100m in front of us.. Here is a sea eagle.. Last evening just as the sun was starting to go down, we saw a seal in the water and the pelicans and sea eagles were diving it, lol... At one point there the sun caught the underside of the sea eagle and the feathers shone like gold! @dianehelen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 174
Sea eagles look cool...

I hope you can getaway to your beach hours. Sounds nice!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh, I feel for you @dianehelen - I do hope the wound vac is a thing of the past for you soon..
 
I really hope you can get away Diane @dianehelen that would make a lovely change for you.

Enjoy the week off from Drs....isn't it sad that, that's what we look forward too???? One day this will be but a distant memory. Keep up the good fight keeping that infection away from your joint!!!!

Hang in there....
 
Hope you made it to your beach house as comfortably as possible & that you're enjoying the different scenery. I wouldn't mind s change, too.... It's been a very long time & the only changes were a hospital & rehab. Ugh!
Are you on the west or east coast? Problem for me is it's so damn hot -- I don't enjoy the heat...Hubby says let's go to nice hotel on beach just to get away. But what to do there on a walker in the heat? Maybe find place overlooking beach... Nice restaurants... We'll see. Used to like Sanibel, but maybe stick closer.

Hope you get to see some pelicans & other creatures. And relax a bit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom