THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dianehelen - Diane, that is very positive news! I hope that nothing changes it and you can get on with healing now! Its scary for all of us to worry about infections, how much harder to actually be in the middle of one! Hoping for nothing but improvement but either way, we'll all be here for you!
 
Ok we seem to have a plan and all parties seem to agree. The only growth in the cultures from monday are in the superficial wound area and absolutely nothing in the deep joint cultures. For now they replaced my wound vac, and hope to be sending me home tomorrow with a (ughh) 6 week course of iv merrem,, every 8 hours to treat what grew in the wound, providenca(sp?). I still am unclear as to how after the weeks of treating and apparently killing off the 2 strains of ecoli with first cifepime, then ertapenem, and the wound sealed with the vac, how a new bacteria developed. But for now I'll try to keep a good thought that this is the beginning of the end of this horrible week I have just been thru, and that I can keep my hip and continue the healing.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All the best Diane and I will be following your story - at home with an IV will be tough but remember in the long run it is for the best and sending you positive thoughts all the way!
 
Great news Diane @dianehelen to your not great situation

It's hard to believe how you can get another infection whilst on so many ABX but it does happen.

When I got my hip removed I got a urinary tract infection (UTI) that was sensitive to just about every ABX except of course the one that I was on.....sometimes you have to laugh or you will slit your wrists!!!!! :bawl:

I am so thrilled that your infection is not in your joint. Some good news at last!!!!!!

My OS actually says that the more superficial aggressive infections Like yours (superficial meaning near surface of skin and aggressive because it appeared in the early weeks) are usually easier to treat and the deep ones are not as aggressive (less symptoms ) but bubble away slowly are harder to get......so the hopefully excellent news is this will be a one off event and that all this pain, agony and hard times will be over soon without the joint having to come out!!!!!

Praying and thinking of you always

Xxxx
 
What a relief! I bet you'll actually be happy to meet up with that wound vac again! (OK, sorry -- bad joke).

So happy it's superficial & not deep. Necessary bummer on the IV ABX -- will they teach you to do them yourself or need a nurse in to do them? I remember being trained to do it myself years ago for a different infection.
Hope you get to go home tomorrow. All the best...
 
Well this Will be my third round: ib abx do I'm sure is doable, just an annoying pita. Just hoping it's the push kind vs the drip kind, just easier. I have power mediport, from last years medical adventure, breast cancer. At this point I don't even care, I just want to go home. Thanks so much for every wonderful caring thoughtful person here who always mace me feel i was not alone. Barely slept last night, just want outta here.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Could you get an MRI to actually confirm there isn't a sinus track from your joint to your wound. That is how my track was discovered. The fact that the Dr initially thought there was a track and now thinks there isn't wouldn't be good enough for me.
My thoughts exactly.
 
I asked him and he said there is no medical indicators for mri as all cultures from the hip joint were negative.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Diane, I am glad we all found Bonesmart to help ease our fears, and provide others for support.
Hope you get home today soon!
 
I'M HOME! What a week, hope I never have to do THAT again. Lots of dr appts to make and follow up with to keep on top of all this, u ghh, but for now I'M HOME! . So happy to be out of that hospital. Off to hug my dogs. Thanks everyone here for always being so loving and caring and supportive.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
I'm so happy you are home. I know you are just worn out with all this. But I wonder if maybe you would consider at some point going for a second opinion on your case. Sometimes it helps to get a new set of eyes on a joint with problems. I was able to locate a surgeon in Orlando who came highly recommended and deals with the more difficult cases. If you are interested in talking with him, please let me know.
 
So glad to hear you're home & hoping you continue on the upswing... it's enough already,
 
Glad you are home & able to hug your dogs....nothing better!! Hoping this crappy THR journey of yours improves ....xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Morning from home, ahh real coffee, my greek yogurt, my dogs, waking up with my sweet, wonderful husband sleeping next to me. My home care nurse came out last night to teach me the new iv abx deal. They were able to supply it as a push vs drip so not too bad. Well I just did my first of many and I did mostly ok. My only little problem was, somehow,, after the whole mixing the drug (powder) with the sterile water in the syringe, I was not able to draw up the very last bit of the mixture into the syringe from the bottle. I would say maybe 1/4 tsp, just could not get, to maneuver the needle in the bottle to get that last bit. I hope that's not a problem. I did ok with the saline pre and post flush, as well as the heparin finish. I feel like I'm playing doctor on myself, and not in a fun way, but I think I can get thru it. Evelyn (home nurse) comes back at 11 for vac dressing change, I'll tell her of my abx experience then.

As for 2nd opinion, I don't know, but curious who the Orlando surgeon is, and if he is even on my insurance network. But please do share who he is, never hurts to have info, thanks @Jamie

Now off to enjoy coffee, and just being home.
 
@FionaW , I dont understand your post. Are you referring to earlier posts of mine?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Oops, yes, for some reason I only saw up to the bottom of page 18 (maybe clicking on tiny icons with fat fingers on my phone!)... I have read pages 19 and 20 now, and what a difference! I am SO glad you have had some good news at last! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your continuing improvement!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom