2 weeks left to chicken out.. my random thoughts

That party theme is adorbs! The kids are going to love it.
The invitation idea is soooo clever and absolutely darling.
I think you'll be able to make it at Day 12. You may not feel super energetic, but who knows....
Just because you go, doesn't mean you have to stay the entire time if you start pooping out.

I feel for you with the anxiety, sweetie. It stinks and it's something you just have to get through.
I think it's the worst part of the whole thing, I truly do. But it's taking you one step closer to regaining
all you're now missing out on. They'll make you so comfortable on the day and it will fly by. You'll feel so relieved
when it's over.

The DVT cuffs are inflatable and they're about 6-10 inches wide....north to south. You Velcro them around your ankles and they continually inflate / squeeze, then deflate. They'll most likely put them on you in the hospital. It's blood clot prevention.

My doc sent them home with me to use for an additional week or two, off and on, throughout the day. I felt in the minority with this protocol within the forum. They're a nuisance! Hopefully you don't need them beyond your hospital stay. By request, I just got copies of my surgery report yesterday and it stated I am a smoker!!
I am NOT a smoker and I don't know where they ever got that crazy notion! When I read it on my surgery report yesterday I was like WHAT?!!! Is that why I had to put up with those annoying contraptions? I believe smokers are at a greater risk for blood clots, post surgery. I also don't have any health conditions. So my conclusion is that my OS is just a big meanie, lol!
 
@Layla - my OS Uses the inflatable cuffs for all his patients and so do the other surgeons at the surgery center I went to. He uses them instead of the compression stockings so many others have had to use and said he switched over to aspirin as an anticoagulant instead of heparin or xarelto etc when he did. He only requires use for 10 days because he expects you to be active enough at that time to just rely on the aspirin.
 
I had socks and cuffs. A male nurse at my surgery center told me to use both for 2 weeks until I saw my PA at first post op appt. I told him that my OS's office scheduled me for 3 weeks out for my post op visit. The guy looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said "Ok, 3 weeks then." I came to learn that my doc and his team were all off for the week of the 4th of July, which obviously affected the scheduling of my first post op visit. Of course THEY didn't tell me that. I found out from the answering service when I called to ask a question about the dumb cuffs one day :tantrum2: @SaraK.

Sorry Mascaramom for the derail but you're learning something through this convo :)
 
I feel like I'm going to have to change my name to Jamie Sommers when this is over!

Thanks for the laugh tonight, ladies. I really needed it.

@Layla and @SaraK .... Thanks for the thorough Descriptions. It really does help, knowing all of these little details in advance. It feels like when I'm trying to prepare my youngest for a trip to the dentist. :yikes:

I can honestly say this is the worst my anxiety has ever been. I've never felt PHYSICAL side effects like I have over the last few weeks. Added in with all of this, my hormones this time of the month are off the charts! I'm just glad I recognize it as stress, and anxiety and not some medical emergency. Im able to focus on breathing and shake myself out of it, most of the time.... the uncontrollable crying is another story lol but I didn't cry all day today!!!!!! Thank goodness for small victories:flwrysmile:
 
It stinks, we understand. I wish I could make it go away, honey :console2:
Hope you sleep well tonight :sleeep:
 
@Mascaramom grabbers are brilliant I have been using them for months for everything from feeding the dogs to getting dressed have a few around the house and they have one for me here to take home .
 
I’ve been through this before @Mascaramom and still have some anxiety. It would be abnormal if we weren’t. I am helped by the fact that this past week the hip has been fairly constant in what i term discomfort and downright pain. Of course, my current biggest source of anxiety is the snow coming in this weekend-would really hate a weather delay!

Don’t worry about the tears-there are worse ways you could deal with stress. One more weekend to make it through. New life begins for you on Tuesday.
 
@Mascaramom they said there's a greater chance of infection????? I don't know--I've been shaving forever and never gotten an infection from it. They also gave me two antibacterial sponges that I have to use. one Monday night to clean everywhere below the neck and one to shower with Tuesday morning. The packaging on the sponges says not to shave too (so maybe it has something to do with that). At least they gave me a waterproof bandage so I'll be able to shower once I get home. My staples have to stay in for 14 days. I've never had stitches or staples before. Hopefully it's not too itchy. Ah the stupid things I worry about when thinking of Tuesday. The top Chef Jr party sounds awesome! Smart woman to organize it so you don't have to do all the work. :) It'll be so much fun for the kids too! Hope you're having a good day!
 
The reason you can't shave just pre-op is that if you have any kind of cut or nick on the op leg they may need to postpone your surgery. Best to not risk a delay. Please don't stress about this. You won't die if you don't shave. Then there are always cream hair removers.
 
New life begins for you on Tuesday.

I've been repeating this to myself ALL DAY.
I thought yesterday was tough...... whew. Today raised the bar.

I know you probably disagree, but boy do I miss the snow. I've lived in S Fl . For 20 years and I'm still not used to it.

They also gave me two antibacterial sponges that I have to use. one Monday night to clean everywhere below the neck and one to shower with Tuesday morning. The packaging on the sponges says not to shave too (so maybe it has something to do with that).

Wow! I wonder if I'll get all that at my Pre op on Monday. Will you be in the hospital for a few days?
I'm looking forward to shaving. I've NEVER said that before. Lolol. It's hot here. We wear shorts A LOT!
Thanks for the links @Jaycey :praying:



(((((@Layla )))) Today was GORGEOUS weather wise. It's ALL that got me through. I was able to sit out on the patio after I got the kiddos to school, and tried to focus on the sunshine and getting some "admin stuff" acomplished.
I kept thinking about how much I'm looking forward to going back to the pool and playing at the beach. (I live 3 miles inland but my parents live on the ocean which makes beach days so convenient)

My Oldest has her very first opening day, Softball game tomorrow morning. Lots of celebration. She has to be there at 8:30, A parade at 9, and then the game at 11.. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make it through... but.... I have to. So I will..... :tiredwheel:

Thank you for checking up on me. ❤
 
I'm planning on the cream hair removal prior to and afterwards. DH is kind enough that if I asked him to shave my legs that he would. But, I think the cream would be easier and less scary for him. :scaredycat:(I seem to be creating posts today & not posting. Look what I just found)
 
Ack! I forgot about cream hair removal. Great idea!! I may try that.
@Mascaramom enjoy the game! It’ll be fun and distract you for a while. :)
 
Hi sweetie,
I'ts great you were able to spend time with work as you soaked in some rays today.
High here today was about 10 degrees :rotfl:
Your dreams of hanging at your parents on the beach will happen sooner than you imagine,

At some point make sure you're clear on your OS's recommendations re: baths, pools, hot tubs, oceans etc.
That's a topic that's been widely discussed within the forum with dramatic differences in protocol.
My doc recommended no baths, pools, bodies of water for three months post op. Yep, meanie that he was!

I think the activity of tomorrow is a good thing. You'll be forced to engage and it will be a healthy distraction. You may not be in the mood, but it will help you get all the closer to Tuesday. The day you're getting your new start, your second chance. They're going to fix you all up and in a very short time you'll once again be that pretty young mommy just bopping around with her hubby and kids.
You're going to love it. They're going to love it. It's going to be great!
We're walking right alongside you :loveshwr:
Hope tomorrow is good!
 
Last edited:
@Mascaramom I know I know it is easy to say for me now but please don't try and over think everything you are going to be in the care of a highly skilled very caring professional team who want and will do nothing but the best for you. Our minds can be so cruel at times like this creating stress . It will all be good :SUNsmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom