2 weeks left to chicken out.. my random thoughts

I've spent the last few days staring at my discharge instructions. I guess I shouldn't have them hanging in plain sight on my bulletin board over my desk.
It says without a doubt, NO RECLINERS..... ugh.... no fair!
Don't bend here, don't sleep there, make sure you move that, don't sit for more than 30 minutes......
CLOTS??? Oy....
I'm feeling so overwhelmed. ... What if I forget something???
 
You don't 'need' a recliner.
I bought a medical office waiting room chair from Costco. Sturdy back, and armrests. I read that it is best not to sit in the same place for too long. I think it will help.
I think it will all work out. I think we can handle the precautions. I am sooo done with the alternative.
 
Ask about the recliner - I saw lots of things that said no recliner but it depended really on whether you would have the 90 degree restrictions, etc and how easy/accessible it is to open and close (one that you have to push the footrest down with your feet or one that rocks forward as you try to stand can be problematic). Many of us couldn't have survived without our recliners. Mine was my bed for most of the last 2 years because I couldn't sleep flat on my back or either side in bed.
 
I'm to dangle my legs off the bed 4xs a day, keep heels off bed? , no pillows under knees, no recliners, lawn chairs, or sofas! Firm seat with arms/handles. Don't cross your legs, keep legs 3-6 inches apart, don't bend at the waist or raise knee more than 45 degrees...
I'm going to be running around town with a ruler and a protractor measuring my knee angles!!:rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign:
 
Now breathe @Mascaramom, you are going to be fine. I know I usually say to follow docs guidance, but those instructions? Seriously dude I think the 70’s called and wants them back.

@SaraK is right, you have to be care with type of recliner, you won’t be able to push back or kick leg rest back in place. @sequin98 is right, you need something with arms and good support. I needed something to keep legs up so I could elevate. Really hard to elevate hips without something under them and your legs. Also didn’t want to lay in bed continuously.

I spent first two weeks in my lift chair. Purchased a wedge pillow for this surgery so I can elevate properly. Bending depends upon approach. Do you currently regularly lift your knee more than 45 degrees, you should be able to handle this.

Leg crossing, yes that’s a universal no, but when you forget it will hurt and you’ll remember you’re not supposed to do that.

Not sure where your heels go if not on the bed somewhere when you’re laying in it. I think the point is to be careful you don’t leave them in one position and get pressure sores.

You will want to get up and move around every hour for a few minor (however, only during day!)

You are going to make this. It is recovery, not a art form. Stay in touch with the forum, use common sense, stay on top of pain, ice, elevate and walk.

We got this!
 
You were worried about the 5 sets of sheets.... @Mascaramom .... now you tell me all THOSE rules! Yikes. I don't have all that info. Yet. I hope I get it tomorrow. I hope you feel better now. You see how different the order of disbursement of info is. All is well. We can do this. How boring it would be if we all had the same instructions? What would we talk about?? :rofsign:
 
How amazing would it be if we followed all of the restrictions?! Except for what Josephine tells us. :snork:
 
Last edited:
@Mascaramom hi lovey hope you're ok? It seems to me like we have all been given different advice so I would just go with what these guys say on here. There are lots of success stories to be read on lots of threads so my money is on them getting it right!! As long as you have grabbers, big underwear and comfy pants, somewhere comfortable to sit and lay, ice packs, pain meds and love from your family and of course your extended family here, you are sorted! Your recovery will be different than everybody else's but the common denominator seems to be any pain is temporary, hip pain isn't so you are doing the right thing girl
 
I'm not sure I am understanding some of your restrictions @Mascaramom ! I would ask lots of questions when you see PT in the hospital.
 
Those do sound like very arcane restrictions. I couldn't sleep on my back without having a pillow under my knees. And keeping your legs 3-6 inches apart - is that at all times? Do you have to walk with a pillow between your legs?? I agree you could probably push back on some of these things.
 
Okay.. here it is... my head is SPINNING!



Activity:
Ambulation with Walker. progress to cane as tolerated. Weight bear to tolerance. Ice knee after physical therapy. Enourage full extension at all times. Full extension or fully flexed.
(IN CAPS AND BOLD FONT) No recliners. No lazy boy. No pillows under knees.

Thigh high compression stockings, removed for hygiene only. Dangle legs over side of bed 90゚...QID

You may shower but do not get incision wet. No tape on skin. Assistive devices for ADL's per OT
Keep Heels off bed

Physical therapy daily: Ambulation with Walker, full weight bearing . Abductor/adductor strengthening. Straight leg raises. Range of motion hip and knee. Ankle pumps. Achieve FULL extension. Teach home program for range of motion. Ambulate with knee immobilizer until straight leg raises on their own *patient to sleep with me a mobilizer at night ONLY. it is to be snug....

Xarelto
ferrous sulfate
Colace
Percocet



1. Have the family bring2 pillows for you to sit on in the car.
2. you will need help with dressing and bathing.
3 use a chair with arms and a firm seat. Do not sit in lawn chairs, recliners, lounge chairs or sofas.
4.walk as much as possible but do not over tire
5. Do not sit for more than 30 to 45 minutes at a time without standing.
6. Avoid crossing your legs while lying down or sitting. Keep your legs 3 to 6" apart.
7 Do not ride in a car for more than one hour without short walking..
8 do not bend at the waist or raise the knee higher than 45゚.
9 sleep on your back.
10 Continue wearing your support hose during the day for 6 weeks you must wear them at night for the 1st week
. 11th pump your feet while sitting or lying in bed. And on and on...............
 
Ice knee after physical therapy. Enourage full extension at all times. Full extension or fully flexed.
Sounds to me that you have the wrong post op instructions. These are for knees - not hips. Note is says "ice knee after PT".
Another reference to knee
Ambulate with knee immobilizer until straight leg raises on their own
I would call your surgeon's office or did they give you a number to call in the hospital? Tell them you need post op instructions for hips. If they say you have the right set - well up to you but this doesn't sound the least bit logical for hip recovery.
 
I just heard back from the nurse. She apologized profusely that the papers got mixed up. They really have been very good with me and are aware of my anxiety so she was so very apologetic. New instructions are being sent to me now. Thank you so much for checking things over with me @Jaycey
 
Yay! This will be you :dancy::spin:
I'll bet the new instructions will make more sense :fingersx:
Share if you care too....
@Mascaramom
 
That sounded like a weird mix of both knee and hip precautions!
 
Sadly not much changed... At least not in my anxious eyes......
thoughts everyone??????



Patient:


DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT


  1. Have the family bring two (2) pillows for you to sit on in the car.

  2. You will need some help with dressing and bathing.

  3. Use a chair with arms and a firm seat. Do NOT sit in lawn chairs, recliners, lounge chairs or sofas.

  4. Walk as much as possible, but do not overtire yourself. It is better to take short frequent walks, rather then one long walk.

  5. Do not sit for more than 30-45 minutes at one time without standing and stretching your hip muscles.

  6. Avoid crossing your legs while lying down or sitting. Keep your legs 3-6 inches apart.

  7. Do NOT ride in a car for more than one (1) hour without a short walking period.

  8. Do not bend at the waist or raise the knee higher than 45 degrees.

  9. Sleep on your back.

  10. Continue wearing your support hose during the daytime hours for six (6) weeks from your surgery date. You MUST wear them at night for the first week after you leave the hospital, but as you become more active you will not need them at night unless your legs swell.

  11. Pump your feet while sitting or lying in bed.

  12. You may take a shower after your sutures/staples are removed.

  13. Use you cane, crutches, or walker as instructed at all times. Walk on level surfaces. Wear low shoes for your safety.

  14. You may NOT drive a car for six (6) weeks.

  15. It is extremely important that you keep your weight under control for the rest of your life.

  16. Report the following to your physician:

    1. Any redness, swelling or drainage from the incision.

    2. Dramatic changes in the size of the lower extremity.

    3. Increase in pain or fever.

    4. Shortness of breath or chest pain.
  17. Before any minor surgery or dental work, please remind your
Doctor that you have a hip replacement. You should take an antibiotic one (1) hour before and for twelve (12) hours following the procedure. (usually every 6 hrs). Should the doctor or dentist have any questions, they should contact our office.


When you go home, if you find there is something new or different, or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office @ 561-694-7776.


Post Op appt is _ @ _ in our _ office

DATE:


MR:


NAME:



SCOTT NORRIS, D.O.


DO’S & DON’TS FOR HIP SURGERY



  1. DO GO WALKING

  2. DO BIKE RIDE

  3. DO GO SWIMMING

  4. TO WASH FEET USE A SPONGE OR LOOFAH ON A STICK



  1. DO NOT KNEEL

  2. DO NOT SQUAT

  3. DO NOT CRAWL

  4. NO SITTING IN LOW CHAIRS

  5. NO TWISTING OR BENDING


Patient:


DISCHARGE ORDERS

DR. SCOTT NORRIS

BIPOLAR & TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT TO GO TO REHAB OR HOME WITH PATIENT


ACTIVITY:

Ambulation with walker progress to cane as tolerated.

Weight bear to tolerance.

Abduction pillow at all times except for ambulation ie: bed and chair.


STAPLES OUT ON POST OP DAY 12. *PT NEEDS TO BE IN THE STANDING POSITION

MAY GET WOUND WET ON POST OP DAY 13.

Exercise and reinforce total hip precautions.

NO SITTING IN SHOWER

Keep heels off bed.

NO SITTING IN LOW CHAIRS OR STOOLS*NO RECLINERS*NO LAZYBOYS

NO DRIVING


PHYSICAL THERAPY DAILY:

Ambulation with walker, full weight bearing

Active range of motion hip and knee*NO passive range of motion

Ankle pumps

Reinforce total hip precautions


DIET: Hospital Consent:

Regular unless otherwise noted by internist Date: Time:

Dr. Norris Consent:

***CHECK ALLERGIES*** Date: Time:

Medications:

Xarelto 10mg Qd x21 days

Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg PO BID

Colace 100 mg PO BID AS NEEDED

Percocet 5/325 mg # 50 1-2 PO Q 4-6 hr PRN

Resume pre op medications as per internist


Follow Up:

Appt has been made for ________________________________________

***CALL THE OFFICE @ 561-694-7776 IF THE WOUND APPEARS REDDENED OR DEVELOPS DRAINAGE, OR IF THE PATIENT COMPLAINS OF NEW ONSET OF PAIN.


MR#:__________________


SCOTT NORRIS, D.O.




DATE: ________________________


I, _____________________ HAVE BEEN GIVEN A COPY OF DR. NORRIS’S DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS, THE DISCHARGE ORDERS AND ANTIBIOTIC INSTRUCTION. THESE ORDERS WILL BE SENT TO THE HOSPITAL AS WELL AS THE REHAB CENTER.


IF I DO NOT GO TO REHAB I WILL CONTACT

THE OFFICE UPON MY DISCHARGE FROM THE HOSPITAL. THIS CALL IS TO VERIFY THAT ALL EQUIPMENT IE: WALKER, COMMODE ETC IS IN PLACE AT HOME.
 
Most of this is pretty standard - but a bit old school. The bit about watching your weight for the rest of your life is totally odd. Not being able to sit on low or soft furnishings for 6 weeks is standard. Hard and higher chairs are just easier for new hippies.

Ask staff for a water proof dressing for your incision. Then you can shower from day one!

Item 17 is no longer the case. Most dentists do not require antibiotics nor do physicians. Very old school.
  • DO NOT KNEEL
  • DO NOT SQUAT
  • DO NOT CRAWL
  • NO SITTING IN LOW CHAIRS
  • NO TWISTING OR BENDING
For the first 6 weeks but surely not for a lifetime. I have had both hips replaced and do all of these all the time.

Your hospital and doctor are being very conservative. Bottom line, THR is not a life sentence - it's a new beginning. For the first 6 weeks there may be restrictions. But after my first THR my hip just didn't want to move past a certain point - usually the restricted area. Listen to your hip - it will tell you when you have gone too far. And don't be afraid to question any of these restrictions.
 
Back
Top Bottom