2 weeks left to chicken out.. my random thoughts

@Bevlah I had to re read your message about 10 times and then sneak off to the bathroom so my children wouldn't see me cry. What a sense of relief you have just given me. Thank you !!! Just call me missgrannypanties
 
I have several of the cold packs that arrive in a nice styrofoam cooler with Medical supplies. I will wrap them in a towel. I have mixed rubbing alcohol with water in bags that seal. I can look up (probably should) the proportions. Those are flexible.

We have a wireless doorbell, still in the package. I suggested that I keep the button part and DH carry the ringing part.:wowspring: Then, when I need something, I just ring the doorbell. :yes!: He was not as excited as I was with that plan. BUT, it could actually be useful in a 2 story home.
 
Hi @Mascaramom
I hope you're having a good day!
Crazy, but I recall day 12 post op vividly. Reason being it was a warm Sunday in July and a lot of my family stopped by to visit. They were over for many hours.

There were about 8 of us and we grilled and hung out. I was still a little tired from major surgery but I never napped during the day while in recovery. Never been a napper, hoped surgery would change that for a time, but it didn't. So needless to say I felt somewhat drained but functioning. Let's say looow energy.

This particular day was also the day I completely ditched the walker for the cane. I'd been practicing for a couple days. So....all in all it went well. I even participated in cleaning the kitchen and doing dishes that day. I think you'll be good to go for your daughter's party. You may feel a bit drained afterward. Possibly not though too. I do have a few years on you.

The best advice I can give is to try not to overdo in recovery. There's a place around here we refer to as the ODIC "The Overdid It Club". Let's just say it never gets good reviews.....you don't want to waste your time visiting. It's a set-back. You will hear over and over again that ICE is your best friend. I had an ice pack affixed to my hip every time I was lying or sitting and I had a great recovery. If you ever feel you may have pushed yourself too hard...ice preventively. It works! :ice:
 
Last edited:
I agree @Mascaramom- daughter’s party shouldn’t be a problem. You may not be as active at it as you normally would, but you can enjoy it.

In terms of panties, my regular ones worked just fine. I just wear the hospital gowns (save on laundry) and wear home what I wear for maybe two hours morning of surgery. Except, of course, for the panties. Whether they are granny or regular, they must be fresh.

Come to think of it, since I’m a granny, I guess any panties I wear would be granny panties, including Victoria’s secret.
 
Hey @Mascaramom
Following are some names of people
who've experienced THR within the last few months who
are close to you in age. It may be fun for you to check out their threads, a couple of them are still fairly active on the forum.
danabanana
beckylou
Susan209
NoraJ
A relaxing evening to you!
 
Thanks @Layla That in formation about your Twelfth-day is invaluable to me. Not only do I always mark my time with memories, but knowing that you were able to remember that day with such happiness, rather than pain is a huge boost for my confidence. Oh, and thank you for the list of names I will stalk those threads a little lol
@MammaT wouldn't that be a great new "line" for Victoria's secret
 
, could someone please explain anterior versus posterior, in which I would be considered? Considering the fact they are going in through my side from my hip down my thigh
 
Side cut is more posterior. Anterior is in front high up on thigh. If you go to the articles there are a couple there that discuss approaches.
 
The night before my surgery, referenced above, when I sent out a panicked SOS :sos: < yeah, just like that, lol! I quickly received a response from Ireland, another from Scotland and obviously other parts of the country. I laughed out loud to my husband and said "ARE THESE PEOPLE REAL?!!" :rotfl:
I couldn't believe that banging out a few help, help, helps on a keyboard garnered such prompt response.

That is exactly how I felt when I woke in a panic last night at 3 am, only to find such kind words from everyone.


Today was tough emotionally. Very down on myself... But I feel like I've turned the corner from denial to acceptance. But it does seem to amplify my fear.
I've put on weight since being so sedentary since july, that's not helping, I know.
My whole body just aches and every movement feels like it takes every ounce of energy I have to move. Like Im wearing 50 pound weights.
Forget the hip pain, and pressure from all of the inflammation. And now that surgery is getting closer and I've stopped talking the ibuprofen..... ugh!!!


Ok. Sorry about the pity party.

11 days and counting.....

I feel your pain Mascaramom. I’m going through the same feelings. I’m also worried that after all of this the pain in my lower bad that physio says is referral pain won’t go away. Praying it does!
 
Alright, I ordered my ice packs and giant UNDIES :heehee:
No turning back now. Lol

I'm allowed to take my anti-inflammatory until 7 days out, which is Monday .... I'm already panicked about how I'll make it through. It doesn't do MUCH, but it keeps me from tears....
 
Hi @Mascaramom
I'd check in with the office of your OS and see what they recommend once off you're
anti-inflamatories.

Try to take some breaks with a heating pad and see if that helps.
I used a heating pad in the days leading up to surgery and found some relief.
Maybe it was the distraction, maybe it worked, maybe it was all in my head.
Whatever works to get you through at this point....
Hope today is good!
 
Thanks for the ideas @AgilityDog @Layla And @MammaT



I'm truly worried about the coming days. I'm trying to keep my anxiety at bay, especially in front of the little ones. Sometimes it's extremely difficult. This weekend was tough. My husband works nights, in 4 on and 4 off rotations which basically means I don't see him for 4-5 days at a time, with the exception of him coming home to sleep. This weekend it was just me and the girls and try as I may I just didn't have the physical energy to go anywhere or do anything, so I tried to entertain them at home. Fortunately we have wonderful weather and we sat outside a lot. I just felt so guilty :( We should have been out running, swimming, playing!

I realize that surgery will make that a reality again, but I still can't shake the guilt that I allowed this to happen to myself because I didn't take care of myself in some way shape or form. The guilt that im letting my husband down somehow. (Not that he EVER made me feel that way) I know it sounds stupid.....

I counted the hours today, until I could put the girls to bed, take a hot shower and just CRY!!! I HATE wishing my days away like that.

I feel a bit better after letting it out.

Tomorrow starts a very busy week in school for my oldest. I will try my hardest to keep up.. I HAVE to!!!!

I HAVE TO!!! And I will!!!
 
Oh sweetie, It's going to be okay. Really it is. This is not your fault.
To your kids....this will be a blip on the screen. This time won't stand out in the whole scheme of things.

In a few short days you will have surgery behind you. Recovery moves much more quickly than you can imagine. Very soon you will be out of pain and healing. You will begin creating beautiful new memories with your family.

I think you're feeling a mix of unpleasant emotions. The guilt you've expressed, anxiety and fear.
The busy school week will be a blessing in disguise. It will serve as a distraction, hopefully making time fly.
The days leading up to surgery are difficult for most, understandably. You will get through this. Try to look at this time with a thankful heart. You're blessed that you found a solution to your problem. Each passing day is bringing you one day closer to losing the pain and getting another chance at being the mom and wife you're longing to be.

You can do this! Just hang on.....the wait is almost over.
Sending a warm hug and best wishes that the next days bring you comfort and peace of mind.
@Mascaramom
 
You will! Moms can move mountains:climb:It is good to just let it out sometimes. One of the Wonderful things about the people here. Encouragement. Compassion. Acceptance. Plenty of us have counted the hours until the children would be in bed so we didn't need to be strong for them. You can do it! You are looking forward to happy times, filled with laughter and love. :puppysmooze:We should keep our eyes looking forward, looking ahead to the positive. You have countless shoulders to cry on here. But even better, you have more cheerleaders than you ever thought possible!:yes!:
 
Dear Mascara Mom, I am a total noob (newbie) here and my surgery is scheduled for 2/14/18.

I love to see how many encouraging words you are getting on this forum.

As for my personal hip journey...One thing I noticed was a strange sense of relief when the surgery date was actually scheduled.

Maybe just taking the time to schedule that appointment with a surgeon you trust will make you feel as if you have more control in this matter than you feel right now.

Who knows?

Please know I will be thinking of you and hope you update here with your thoughts and plans, OK? xoxo
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom