TKR 2 second knee now done. ( 3.5m apart)

Thanks so much, these additional posts have really helped my decision further. I I am feeling really confident to move ahead sooner than later. I'm finding that I am already relying on my new leg because my other one is so bad. It is continuing to deteriorate really quickly. This was already going on pre-surgery and both knees so not surprising. The big concern is the left one that did not have surgery is really going to limit my ability to get out and walk on my new one. It is bad enough I am pretty much as limited as I wasn't before surgery. That will change when I get back into the pool and will be able to do walking there. I also feel that my non-surgical leg is deteriorating because my old workout routine in the pool has not been able to happen. It really was my way of keeping my arthritic knees just that little bit happier. I have the green light for the pool within about a week. I am aware not to get carried away with my new leg just because I'm in the pool. You mean being able to start doing some more aerobic work through swimming upper body only is something I've really missed. I have not kicked my legs while swimming in over a decade because it used to aggravate the arthritis oh, so this is nothing new and something that will absolutely not over do it on my new leg. anyway, sorry for rambling on, just really excited to have the permission to go back to the pool after 6 weeks.
 
OMG. Check help this sign that the PT Department in a local hospital posts on their wall.
[Bonesmart.org] 2 second knee now done. ( 3.5m apart)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the sign was meant to be funny. But, it makes you wonder if that's what some of them really think!
 
Unfortunately it does reflect the attitude of pt in this Hospital. My friends elderly husband is there with multiple medical issues and she's had to step in as they are just awful with him. This sign is not actually hidden anywhere it is out where the patients can see it. Unfortunately his medical position means that it is hard for him to stand up for himself, but fortunately there are others around him there are there to stand up for him. I would hate to be in that place after a tkr. It also got me thinking that people that have joint replacement that AR very elderly may not be able or comfortable question the authority of PT.
 
I think once upon a time PT had good intentions and came from a previous time where patients did absolutely nothing but rest, which turned out to not be the answer for recovery, either, therefore physical therapy came about.

However it has reached an extreme opposite now and needs to be readdressed.

I feel so bad for those who are literally being abused by “therapists”.

Many of us go into physical therapy having no clue about it and blindly do what we’re told because we think PT is essential. I did. It wasn’t until I was having set backs caused by PT that I realized it was counterproductive. I googled “stopping physical therapy” and thankful found Bonesmart and learned recovery approaches differed and there was a gentler option!
 
the other one needs to be done ASAP. My OS was talking about April or May, I am going to ask him if he would consider March
As one who had knees done on the same day, my answer is 'How about tomorrow?' Only then can full recovery actually start and you can get nearer the day when your knees don't dominate your life.
 
If I saw such a disgusting sign posted in plain sight for all clients to see, I'd be doing some complaining to the facility manager and whoever else is responsible for that therapy practice. That is NOT funny and if the therapists are actually practicing that philosophy, it's even worse!
 
If I saw such a disgusting sign posted in plain sight for all clients
I'd run in the opposite direction! It is NOT funny, especially not to those that are facing a painful recovery.
 
My friend did bring it to the attention of a higher authority and they have intervened fortunately.
 
That sign isn't funny, at least to me its not. Its offensive.
As for how long between TKR mine were April and Oct. In hindsight I probably should have wait a bit longer. I 'thought' I was doing okay, and was. What I didn't factor in was how tired I still was. Lived through it but I would wait for what your surgeon recommends.
 
That energy drain is a real thing. It takes months to get all of that back. Having two surgeries close together will make that energy drain last even longer. If I were you, I'd wait as long as I could. My old knee got better as my new knee got stronger. Yours probably will, too!
 
Thanks so much! That is great insight about the energy drain. I am only 6 weeks out right now and although I feel a lot better, I definitely still do not have rifle energy back. I did not realize that might go on so long. Perhaps I will just stick with the surgeon's plan and not push for earlier. Unfortunately I don't expect my arthritic leg to improve a whole lot even us my surgical leg improves. My arthritic leg was just as bad before. However, I am getting more patient about this whole process, so will keep my focus on the twenty good years after unless on rushing through this time ahead in order to get there
 
@Celle can you change the title of my thread to : toe and foot numbness/scar pain/heavy knee?
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am now 6 weeks post-op from a right tkr. I Am shifting gears on my thread has my other issues have been well addressed and I have some new ones. Over the last week, I have been getting some weird Sensations in the top of my foot into my big toe and the one next to it, also across the front of my ankle. I have had discomfort there in the past throughout my recovery on my right leg, but things had calmed down. However in the last week I have had what I would describe as weird feelings and numbness and tingling that is persistent enough to keep me awake and what is odd about it is it is in both feet. Is there any possible relation to the spinal anesthetic? Any and all insights would be appreciated. My question about scar pain it's simply how long did anyone scar bother them. It looks great no signs of infection, just still sore at times and noticeably warm at times. Lastly , was anyone else find it there knee feels heavy ? I know this is an unusual description, but I feel like I have an ankle weights strapped to my knee. It literally feels like it's a little heavy. looking for any insights or experience from those who have been down this path before. Thanks in advance for your help
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't expect my arthritic leg to improve a whole lot even us my surgical leg improves.
But, you had two bad knees then. Now, you'll have one good knee that can take over much more of the work! You never know...it just might be enough.

anyone else find it there knee feels heavy ?
That's a pretty common complaint. We've even had people call it a log leg!
 
However in the last week I have had what I would describe as weird feelings and numbness and tingling that is persistent enough to keep me awake and what is odd about it is it is in both feet. Is there any possible relation to the spinal anesthetic?
I doubt it. Have you ever suffered from low back pain in the past?
 
Back
Top Bottom