TKR 2 second knee now done. ( 3.5m apart)

Saw my PT today and he determined it was likely coming from my L4. I have had back issues in the past, it is not noticeably bothering me at all right now, but it seems to be the origin of this issue. He feels it is the change in my walking gait and my body adjusting, I also have been doing more sitting and less lying down. He did some work with stretching today and I have increased that work at home all day today and things are much better on the toe numbness front. He feels if I stay on top of the stretching things should come down as my body adjusts over a week or two.
 
PS in general at this 6-week mark my knee seems to be much happier. Of course it is not perfect, but it does not swell at the drop of a hat simply because I am sitting with it in a normal lower position instead of elevated. Normal light activity can make it stiffen just a little bit. If it does get angry for some reason I can get it calm down within hours instead of days.
 
Last edited:
Normal light activity can make it stiffen just a little bit. If it does get angry for some reason I can get it calm down within hours instead of days.
You are doing so much better! Plus, you know how to handle your knee's little flareups! You are definitely on the way to a great healing! Your common sense if paying off!
 
Thanks so much for the positive words. Checked off a number of things today. Went to a movie, sat through the whole thing, walked out with my knee literally the best it's been. Drove for 15 minutes. Did our basement stairs confidently and successfully. Yesterday, was also able to go out to eat and sit in a restaurant without any major blow ups because I was sitting. The whole sitting thing has been one of my challenges because the leg really like to swell anytime it was not elevated. Big changes in the last few days that way. I know it is different for everybody but that General concept of the 6-week mark being a big transition Point has certainly been very true in the last week. I have been so glad to have this forum to ask questions, get support and share little successes with people who get it. I only found this forum around week 3, but so glad I did. I started a thread and pre-op to share some tips and things I have learned for others about to head down this path. I also am now a pre-op as well as we will be doing the left knee in the spring sometime. Thanks again to everybody, just so appreciative I'm finding something on the Internet it's all about support & positivity.
 
That is what is so good about this site. The majority of us want to help each other. This is an awful surgery and to face it alone, with no one to talk to who understands, makes it that much more stressful and lonely. Taking your time to go to preop to help others, while you're still recovering from your own surgery is such a wonderful, unselfish thing for you to do.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Dkm
@Celle can we update my thread title to 7weeks, persistent thigh swelling
 
Hello everyone.

Week 7 on my right total knee replacement. Pain is hugely diminished, driving now, range of 110 without any assistance. My pt did an evaluation of my strength & it is really good all the way around. Starting to get a sense and glimpses of the positive future ahead with my new knee.

I do have one concern. Of course I still have swelling and stiffness in the knee, but nothing unusual and I figured out my strategies around managing that with appropriate activity levels and ice, ice, and elevation.However, the front of my thigh seems to have more swelling than before and it seems to be persistent and very difficult to clear in any way. Everything in my knee and below comes down nicely with rest, ice and elevation . But above the knee in the whole thigh just seems to stay and not clear out in the same way . When I stand up there's a very distinct transition point right above the knee where it looks like I'm feels like I'm carrying almost a sack a fluid or swelling in that area all the way up the thigh. I had a little bit of this issue prior to surgery, where my right thigh I was always a little bit bigger in front than my left one. My question is should I be getting this checked out by my OS or my GP to determine if it's truly swelling or if I'm having edema or any other concern. I do have mild pad in my lower limbs. Even with several hours of high elevation and ice it just does not seem to move out of there. I have read about some people having lymphatic massage I was wondering if something like that would help. As always any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
I am 7 weeks out of a right knee replacement and will be doing my left one in the next few months. I feel exactly the same way how about my new leg feeling longer, with that leg now straighter that can also result in that feeling, in my case my other one is still a little bit bowed. This feeling is improving and I hope it does for you as well, this new alignment has also caused me to have some major soreness and tightness and my glutes on both sides and I also had an IT band issue for a while there. I just finally got back into the pool and let the Jets massage my whole leg and I was amazed how all the muscles everywhere are actually sore. Apart from the surgical assault the correct alignment means there is so many tissues readjusting to this new normal. I have found that walking in the pool has been incredibly helpful as I can walk with a normal gait and not aggravate thanks so much . I hope your recovery continues in a positive way and that things will feel a bit more normal as time goes on.
 
Dkm,
I have changed the title of your thread, if you would like it changed in the future, just post it here and we will change it for you.
I also move your post from RobinW's thread, as she has not logged on BoneSmart since July 2018, and is unlikely to respond to your post.

Since you had swelling above your knee prior to surgery, likely it will linger for awhile while you are healing in this year long+ recovery. If you are concerned give your OS or GP a call.
Lymphatic massage may help, you can ask you OS or GP for a referral, or find a massage therapist trained in lymphatic massage.
 
Last edited:
Find a massage therapist that specializes in pregnancy massage, they know how to be gentle and careful.
 
Thanks so much, found a good one going this Saturday.
 
Please change my thread to patella concerns 2 months post tkr . I have had great success with a good massage therapist. Makes an enormous difference to my legs ability to move out swelling. Now I have a new issue I need some help with. I am 2 months out of a rtkr done in November 2018. Overall things are going well. However, I am concerned about patella issues. I still have my own patella. Things seem really tight across the patella. When it is bent and then I straighten it crack and it is painful when it does this. This also happens when it has been straight for a while and then I bend it or it has been back for a while and then I straighten it. It is January 14th 2019 and I don't see my OS again until a month from now. Should I be going to see him sooner about this. I have actually had concerns about this for a while now that's when I had more swelling, the problem was much worse. I was waiting it out, but just not sure if I should keep waiting or it's something I need to address. The problem is not affected by level of activity oh, but it is worse when there is more swelling. Thanks in advance for any insights.
 
At only 2 months out, this is pretty normal reactions. You still have swelling inside and probably outside, too. But, that swelling inside is very restricting and painful. You are only 1/6 of the way through this healing!
 
That makes sense but is it normal to basically have patellar clunk syndrome with pain. If I wait it out will it calm down more than likely. Thanks for replying so quickly
 
Just an update on the patella situation that may be interesting or useful to others. As it turns out it is the pressure from the tight scar that is Shifting the patella. I was told it will improve over time, and it's already gradually getting a lot better. Flares up when I have swelling because the scar does not expand like the tissues around it so creates tight strip right over the knee cap. So all in all everything it's getting there slowly but surely. I now have a surgical date for number 2 it is coming up on March 6th. Of course I feel much more prepared for the next one.
 
I'm glad you have an explanation for the patella shifting. It makes sense, too.
 
Now that the scar stretching a tiny bit the patellar shifting has gone down over 90%. The only time I feel a little bit is when swelling is really on the very high side. Using silicone tape and silicone gel has been an enormous help . Things are improving day by day. Thanks again for all the support everybody
 
Last edited:
I now have a date for my left knee replacement. It will be done on March 6th three and a half months after the right one. Do I start a new thread in the pre-surgical section or just continue here
 
You don’t have to, but you can start a new pre op thread for your second knee if you have concerns about it, but don’t ask questions about your first knee there.

After your second knee is done I would continue in this thread with both recoveries, since they are so close together, you’ll probably be talking about both, so both histories is one place is good.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom