TKR 2 second knee now done. ( 3.5m apart)

If the stitch that is sticking out is catching on your clothes or becoming annoying, the best thing to do is to go to your surgeon's office and ask for it to be cut, with a pair of sterile scissors. Don't try to pull it out yourself.

You're right - that small open area could be a tract for infection to get in, so avoid going into the pool until it's all healed up.
 
Update, I emailed a picture of the protruding Stitch to my OS and he is seeing me in the morning to take care of it. It is an odd little thing , I feel like I should put a flag on it . If I get any info from him at the appointment that might be useful to others I will update further here.
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am going to be having the discussion with my OS about booking my second TKA. Would love any input about how much time you would recommend between this last one and the next. Thanks so much again in advance for any help. One little note for those who are struggling in the first few weeks. I am now on week 5 from surgery on November 14th 2018. 2 weeks ago I really question whether I could go through it again, but things do really start to come out of the trenches after the first month or so, still a long way to go but much more manageable. As high maintenance as my right knee is after surgery, it's still clearly feels like better me and any issues feel like ones that will heal. When I compare that to my left knee that still arthritic oh, I would definitely choose the surgical knee even at this point. The arthritic knee simply feels like pain that is unhelpable and frankly limits me more for standing and walking then my post-surgical knee. Not much helps real bone on bone. This is become super clear now that I have been on pain management for the surgical knee which really does nothing for the arthritic one. To all those in the very early stages , hang in there , it does change . Once again thanks to anyone for any input on timing for booking the second surgery.
 
Last edited:
@Celle can you please update the title of my thread to reflect the discussion about how long between surgeries if you think that is appropriate.
 
I've updated your thread title, as you requested.

I think it would also be a good idea to ask your surgeon what he/she recommends.
Some people have their second TKR days after the first one, while others wait for months.
 
Thanks so much. I am going to ask him what he recommends, just curious if anyone who's actually gone through it of any insights if he does ask me if I have a preference@Celle!
 
Last edited:
@Dkm As we all know no two knees are the same and I think my 2 knees are living proof of that! Had first right knee done on 31st Nov 2017. Steady recovery and the consultant agreed I could have second knee done in the summer. I thought I’d give it a bit longer for first knee to recover which it did do really well. So had the second left knee done in October 2018 . I’m now struggling with both knees. First knee has not liked being the weight bearer and although not exactly full on painful is tender and sensitive. Have been trying to follow BS way and don’t do formal physio just ADL with short walks and two 20 mins swims a week. ( I don’t swim continually or kick with my newest knee) . I’m driving but only short distances of about 4 miles there and back. At 11 weeks now and had hoped to be further on as I was last time,
I’m still elevating and icing especially in the afternoon and evening.Both knees feel strong and I don’t worry they are going to give way it’s just my second knee is still painful and stiff.I do have two sets of stairs to navigate in my house and I think this aggravates my first knee.
So I think it’s all the luck of the draw . Other people seem to manage well having the two knees done closer together. Good luck in your choice.
 
Thank you so much for that insight. I do feel like I am speculating where the current Knee will be at by simply picking a date now. Of course I am Keen to get going, but I am keenly aware that I will be asking me a number 1 to take the brunt of things. Having said that, I actually find myself using my cane for my arthritic knee so I suspect I'm already relying on my new knee as the good one. Your post made me actually think about that. That in itself is very useful because I think it is a reminder that I need to get my knee brace back out for my arthritic knee. Thanks also for the quick reply
 
I read on Molly’s thread how much you like going to a massage therapist. Are they gentle with your body?

I’ve had 3 massages in my life and I felt awful after all 3. The first one was a 30 minute relaxing massage, my daughter gave me a gift certificate for it after her wedding. When I got back in the car after the massage I ached everywhere. I was surprised, as my daughter loved massages and just wanted to melt after one.

The other 2 were therapy ones for back pain, and each took me 2 days to recover from.

The only nice thing my PTs did for me was a brief, gentle massage on my leg, but after all the other things they did to me, I refused to go back later and ask for just massage.

So how do you find a massage therapist who will truly be gentle enough to help after a knee replacement. At 5-7 months post op I really could have used massage on my whole leg but I was afraid to let anyone touch it, in light of my past experiences, so I didn’t.
 
Maybe I just got lucky. It may be a matter of having a discussion with the rmt ahead of time with your concerns and goals. My rmt you spell athletic therapist and works out of my PT clinic so I wonder if that makes a difference
 
Hi DKM, I had both done less than 6 weeks apart! So far it’s not going too bad except maybe 2 weeks ago I was regretting it! Lol no two knees are the same that is such a true statement!!!! My first went amazing and that knee really stepped up when I had the second but boy the second has been more challenging!!! The 1st still gets sore, still has the tight band feeling but overall it’s holding up well! Me personally I wouldn’t want to space my recoveries out too far cause this was tough and I might as well suck it up and do them together! I’m actually looking forward to hitting milestones together! But for me it was important to do them together as my knees were knock kneed really bad from damage so one being straight and the other bad was really uncomfortable.

Good luck with your decision and recovery!!
 
Thanks so much for the insight. Just saw my OS today and he really prefers a six-month Gap so the first leg is really well on its way to Healing if it's going to take the load. So we are looking at May, although he did mention April. I am torn about it because my non-surgical leg that's really limit me, so really I won't be truly better off until I have that one done as well, however that time frame means I'm riding off a good chunk of the summer. I can push it for the out till the fall, but it seems a long way off to start this process again. I signed the paperwork today for having it done around April or May, because they would not be offering me a specific date until January and as he said I can always decide to put it off. So I have some time to think about this, but the decision seems clear as mud at this point. Thanks again to everybody who has replied privately and on the Forum.
 
I am torn about it because my non-surgical leg that's really limit me
My non-surgical knee was really bad, too. But, after my tkr started taking on some of the responsibility, my old knee got better. I bet yours will, too. Right now, it's terribly angry from having to do all the work. More than likely it'll settle down and your new knee gets stronger.
 
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately even when my non-surgical leg is at its best, it is still very life-limiting. It has been great to get everybody's input, really gives me a lot of food for thought in making this decision.
 
Just an update on the Stitch situation. I saw my OS today and he just pulled it out. He knows I'm Keen to get into the pool, so got me in quickly so he could take care of it. As soon as the hole closes over I am good to go in the water. I am 5 weeks post-op and apparently everything looks great. It also gave me a chance to go back to the surgical department and the orthopedic floor I was on to drop off some Christmas goodies and thank everybody. Made for a nice day and felt like I got to do some Christmas stuff. I do know there's quite a bit of work and healing yet to come, but it is very true but once you're past the first 4 to 6 weeks oh, you do come out of the trenches quite a bit.
 
I'm glad your surgeon dealt with the stitch quickly. Having him pull it out was OK - he knows his work and has the experience to do that. If you'd pulled on it, without knowing how deeply it was embedded (or not), you possibley might have caused a further problem.

I hope the stitch hole closes over quickly, so that you can get into the pool.
 
I have made a decision on the timing for getting the second tkr. I am now approaching 6 weeks post-op and I'm actually using my cane for my non-surgical leg. My surgical leg has become my "good leg" already. Now that I am beginning to move around more, I realize but the other one needs to be done ASAP. My OS was talking about April or May, I am going to ask him if he would consider March. Honestly I would do it a month from now if I could. I am already relying on my surgical leg. I think giving my body and my like some more time to recover is prudent and to be honest everything in my gut says March.
 
I had my second TKR 3-1/2 months after my first. By then, leg #1 felt strong and well enough to be the workhorse leg for going up (and more importantly, down) stairs.

In response to your first post where you mentioned bending your leg up behind you as in a pre-TKR stretch, my physical therapist told me that inability was more from a lack of quad strength than lack of ROM. Sure enough, as my quads regained strength, that got better.

I'm still working on IT-Band issues, but I've had them my whole life.
 
@Dkm I got my left knee done in June. Before that time I could still go out my long walks. After the op I was surprised how quickly my right knee deteriorated. I wouldn't have liked to have had to wait any longer to get it done. The recovery this time is very different. Its true what they say that no two knees are the same.
 
Sounds like you are having a great recovery and that your doctor and PT are on top of things and very responsive. For me I had my first knee in Feb and “waited” until Oct for my second. After 12 weeks (end of PT) my OS said I could schedule my second any time but to keep in mind that Lefty (first knee) would have to carry the full load for 6-12 weeks. I used that time between to go to conditioning for both knees. The lady who owns and runs my PT place got tired of Insurance companies making people leave PT before they were ready. She opened a conditioning center in the same office. It is run by athletic trainers who get your exercise regimen from your PT. There is No weight lifting it is simple conditioning using body weight. Bottom line I felt both knees were ready heading into getting Righty done. Everyone is different you know your lifestyle and body. When you are comfortable that your first knee can do all the work it should be safe to schedule your second one.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom