TKR 2 second knee now done. ( 3.5m apart)

I am now 12 weeks post-op on my right knee replacement. The patella issues seem to begin to calm down, but one aspect seems to be suddenly worsening, I am pretty sure I may be experiencing bursitis. I was starting to do more and things are going fairly well other than my swelling issues which seemed to be brought on primarily with my fight with gravity when I cannot be elevated. However pain had really calmed down in general. Things are a little bit worse this past week partly due to my leg getting slightly traumatized and me ramping up my exercise. I know I need to back off and am doing so, the concern swelling almost straight over the knee cap that I would best describe it's something that is like when you get a goose egg when you hit your head. This has been going on for a while but seems to have ramped up Suddenly. Thank you to bonesmart, I have learned not to panic about pretty much anything anymore. I'll just take it easy and see what my Orthopedic says next week. I am now exactly one month away from having my other knee done on March 6th. Oddly enough I do feel ready for that. My left knee it's problematic enough that my right knee has already become my more dominant leg. I also have other factors around much more coverage at work and guaranteed help at home with this timing. My strength is actually really good. I also feel mentally ready to go back into the trenches for a while. I know recovery takes a lot of time, but I would like to get on with that time. For me thinking about being far out on the first recovery and starting all over again with the second one just as things are getting good actually causes me a fair bit of mental distress. So, oddly enough I am looking forward to getting on with the second one and getting into the recovery process. I Look to a year from now how's my point of hopefully expecting to feel like I will be stepping into the phase I'm beginning to really get on with my life. Going into this second surgery I am so much better prepared. I did not find bonesmart until week 3 after my first surgery. I will post here for sure after the second one and hopes of providing some insight to others who may have similar timing coming up. I hope my experiences can help some others the way that everyone else experiences have helped me.
 
1 accuracy note for the administrator. I am not sure if my procedure identification is fully accurate. My right tkr did not involve a knee cap replacement. They opted to clean up my own kneecap.
 
Also please change my thread title to
One down and one to go
 
We don't differentiate between those TKRs who get a patellar button and those who don't in signatures. Either way you still had a knee replaced. So your signature is correct.
 
My right tkr did not involve a knee cap replacement. They opted to clean up my own kneecap.
No one has their own kneecap removed. They always leave your own kneecap, but usually any damaged cartilage at the back of your kneecap is removed and then replaced with a plastic button.
If there is no damage to the cartilage at the back of your kneecap, then this is not done.
 
Hi @Celle . Yes, I know that. When I say I did not have my knee cap replaced. I mean I do not have a button. Just wanted to clarify in case it mattered in any of the discussions. I did have some, but still had good cartilage there so he just tidied up the knee cap.

Thank you @Jamie
 
I’ll be following your progress second time round with interest. I’m needing to do my other one as well and have very mixed feelings about doing it too soon, but like you, also want to get this all over with and move on with my life.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Didot. My other one is still healing, but I actually feel like it will get a break and more care while I recover from the second one compared to right now.

I have a business and the timing is also dictated by when I can take a decent break and have staff coverage etc etc. I actually feel excited about it as I will be on the recovery side of things and looking to the future instead of the waiting for surgery side. I am looking to a year from now to be in a much better place and gaining the real benefits of both.

The thought of waiting and looking toward the next surgery down the road a ways was frankly depressing. I feel like if I wait until things are great with leg 1 and just as I really am gaining my life back with leg one, I will then be sliding way back down the ladder to start all over again. I am very much in the recovery mindset right now and ready to take it on. I think it is so individual.

Also, my remaining leg is still impeding my life and every time that bone hits bone, it is so much more intolerable than my surgical leg. The point of doing all this was to improve my limitations from my arthritis, I feel like I am not gaining full benefit because the other one needs done.

I am 53 years old, I have always been heavy, but I lost 40 lbs and I was in good shape prior to surgery and have had a pretty good recovery, the usual ups and downs, struggles etc and a long way to go yet, but I really feel mentally and physically ready to move on with this journey and get to the other side.

I am about to see my OS and I do have a concern about pre-patellar bursitis, but still would like to move forward. I feel like the old leg will get a bigger break when the second leg is done. It is being relied on way more now, than it will be then.

My fitness is good again ( I swim with no kicking for cardio and upper body). i am now 12 weeks out and as of week 11 My range on Leg 1 is 115 on my own and 2 for extension, but the extension does not impede me, I only notice if I am on a truly flat surface. My strength is good.

To be clear, it all sounds lovely, but yes, I have stiffness, swelling etc when you would expect ( end of the day, done too much). I even had a twist due to a family member tripping and catching my leg as he went to sit down on the couch. My pain was doing great when that happened and it has taken a week to recover and is still getting there, but par for the course challenges.

Again, I feel like when I am back in recovery with the new leg, my old leg will be less at risk and get more recovery as I will be following early recovery protocols then. Sorry to be long winded, but I think a full and clear picture.

Lastly, now 'I am in on it' I feel so much more prepared to take this on because I know what "this" is. I was so poorly informed the first time around and only found Bonesmart on week 3. I know it can be different, but I am just so much more knowledgeable.

Good luck to everyone going into number 2 and trust yourself on your decision, we are all different.
 
1 week to go until total knee replacement number 2. Can't wait to be on the side of recovery for both instead of waiting for a second surgery. The first leg it's of course still recovering but doing really well and ready to go. It will actually get more of a break during the second recovery than it is getting now as it allows me to step away from some things once again. Going into this one already having bone smart as a resource and everything I have learned here is great piece of mind. I did not find this site until three weeks after my first knee replacement and it has truly been a blessing in so many ways.
 
Going into this one already having bonesmart as a resource and everything I have learned here is great piece of mind.
You are in a much better place than you were last time. Knowledge will be a huge help.
 
HELP. I just had my left yesterday. This time general anesthetic and a nerve block. There were concerns with a spinal aggravating my peripheral neuropathy last time. Last time I had no nerve block so could walk I had quite a bit of pain within an hour of getting to my room. I had poor luck with Dilaudid about time but ended up being sent home the next day and things went pretty well.

Yesterday had my left tkr. The nerve block lasted well until today so I could not mobilize with a walker until this afternoon almost 24 hours later. Of course with a nerve block in play things felt pretty good. Swelling wasn't too bad either. I just did foot pumps in bed and went to the bathroom with the Walker mostly relying on my good leg.

By this evening I could take a little more weight on the surgical left leg and could lift it to move it around in the bed. Because Percocet worked better last time I've been on Dilaudid on release but with Percocet for breakthrough every 4 hours. Earlier this afternoon the surgical leg was it 95 degrees without Force just hanging down on the bed.

Around 8 p.m. nerve block fully wore off and full pain came on board. Jumped right to an eight. Up till then I've been on Percocet every 4 hours. With the pain coming up short-acting Dilaudid was also added in the interim 2 hours. Got a little bit of sleep, but woke up at 11:30 due for Percocet and I am literally at pain level 10 on the leg is huge.

Since the afternoon I've been elevated and icing as well. I thought the nerve block was a good idea but I think the delay and feeling the pain may have set me up to utilize the leg more than I should have.

I am reaching out tonight just for some support. I just took my next Percocet and the nurse is going to check on me see if I want the Dilaudid as well. I'm reaching out because I just never felt pain this bad sorry I'm just tired and really upset I am waiting and hoping the drugs kick in again and take the edge off.

The leg is huge there's so much pressure and moving it even assisted it's just so painful. I've managed to get elevated and I'm hoping I can fall asleep and won't wake up to better things. It is midnight here, my nurse is supportive I'm just struggling I need it to vent. thanks for listening. @Jockette , @sistersinhim
 
Last edited:
Ouch, that sounds awful. I hope they've sorted your pain meds out and things are calming down now. :console2:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dkm
Just a tiny bit, going in the right direction. It's nice to have a form or I could have a slight melt down. The emotional overload happens to me when I'm on Percocet as well. Had some sleep sense pain level is around 8 or 9 when I have to and it's get out of bed put down to a 6-7 when I'm still for a while. Thanks for the reply @Lindylee. I wasn't sure if I would catch anybody so quickly. Just seeing a voice out there was super helpful.
 
It can be a world of pain when blocks wear off. My thoughts are with you. This is a ghastly stage and hope you get it under control quickly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks so much for the support. It's so nice to have somewhere will people get it.
 
:console2::console2:
I’m so sorry, that’s a high pain level!

Keep telling the nurse how you feel so they can look for an alternative until you have better pain control.

:console2::console2:
 
Thanks. They have actually been great only been getting slowly under control over night I think the problem with a nerve block is it lasts so long. I think you end up moving a leg in ways it's not ready to or too much because you can't feel it. Mine lasted over 24 hours so when it finally all went away I think the leg was just really angry. When I had the spinal I can feel the leg and walk within an hour of getting to my room, but I think it was better that way.

However this time we didn't really have a choice because there were concerns that the spinal aggravated my peripheral neuropathy last time. They are great here with support. I reached out to that group last night I had just got the 100% feeling back a huge pain spike. They altered drugs overnight to make sure they were well time and provided me with ice on going and opportunities to elevate. So although leg is not happy this morning we are getting control.

My last surgery I was not on bonesmart because I did not know about it. It has been invaluable with info, but being able to just vent last night and reach out for support was amazing. I keep trying to focus on my other leg I remember how bad things were in the beginning and I look at it now I know that things will change. Thanks again
 
Vent all you want, that’s one of the reasons we’re here. :console2:

That’s really great that you have a good nursing staff looking out for you. I had an excellent hospital experience with wonderful nurses.
 
I'm glad you're getting that pain under control. Patients should be warned to not do much while under that nerve block. As you found out, the repercussions can be awful.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom