Guest viewing is limited

TKR #2 done

Wow, @Claire56, that’s impressive - it took me quite bit more time to feel comfortable driving. Does it make a difference that you’ve now had both knees replaced? (Asking because I’m having my second knee done next week.) Congratulations on doing so well.
 
@CamGram I'm told that my recovery is a bit unusual so don't compare yourself to me or anyone else really. That said, I suspect that you will be able to drive sooner with the left leg than you did with the right. At least if you drive an automatic. Once you are off the narcotics and you can get in the car you will probably be good to go. My biggest challenge was bending my left knee enough to even get behind the wheel. :heehee: I have a subcompact which didn't help.
 
My biggest challenge was bending my left knee enough to even get behind the wheel.
This was my problem as well. With my first TKR (right) it was 6 weeks before I could drive but that was mainly because I was still on Vicodin until then. With this left knee, I stopped the oxy sooner so I could drive sooner (also being the left knee and an automatic transmission). My biggest problem was opening my door wide enough to be able to bend my knee to get out. Having a disabled pass (I got from my PA at my first post-op appt, I asked) was great because I had the space to open my door wider.
 
Went to the gym for the first time today since surgery. Skipped the leg machines for obvious reasons. :loll:There is a machine that requires you to kneel on a padded bench that I usually do but skipped because the scar is still too tender. The only leg exercise I did was to use the stair climber on the lowest setting. I think it went well but I'll know by tomorrow if I joined the ODIC.

Feels good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Driving is going well. I have returned to the gym but am not using any of the leg machines or one of the machines that you need to kneel on a padded bench to use.

I have signed up for a volunteer event 3/5 & 6. I'm hoping that I will be able to sit occasionally while doing it but believe I will be OK even if I can't. I'm back to the volunteer work that I do weekly. A plug for volunteering, if you are so inclined, many places are desperate!

I am usually pretty tired after doing these various things but that should improve. Both knees are tolerating the activity pretty well. The right knee will ache a little at the end of the day but recovers pretty well.

Rom of left knee isn't where I would like it to be but it is still pretty good-130 maybe? Right knee is maybe 120. My doctor's office doesn't measure it. I think extension on left is near normal but the right has a little ways to go.
 
Sheesh, thought I was doing so well, then I join the ODIC! :dubious:Not sure what I did but my leg aches more than usual today. I iced for the first time in several weeks and will take it easy tomorrow.
 
Hi @Claire56 , hopefully your stay in the "penalty box" won't be long and you'll be out there pushing the limits of your legs again :)! I find it very promising (as I'm due for my LTKR in April) that you've had 2 TKRs with your RTKR only a few short weeks ago and you are already ODIC-ing!! I hope soon after my second TKR I'll be feeling so well that I'll be constantly flirting with ODI-ing.
 
@glidefloss the discomfort from my odic has eased. I did go for a walk, maybe a mile....slowly. Otherwise, I haven't done much today. It will be interesting to see if I end up on the ODIC bench after this weekend. I've signed up for a couple of volunteer shifts at my local nature Center. Hopefully I will be able to pace myself and sit down periodically.
 
Couldn't resist sharing this. It showed up on my Facebook page
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] #2 done
    Screenshot_20220305-090410_Facebook.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 124
I have signed up for a volunteer event 3/5 & 6. I'm hoping that I will be able to sit occasionally while doing it but believe I will be OK even if I can't. I'm back to the volunteer work that I do weekly. A plug for volunteering, if you are so inclined, many places are desperate!
Hi @Claire56 , good knee luck for your volunteer event. Looking forward to your report on how those days went!
 
My volunteer event went as hoped. First day was gorgeous and we were outside. The second day was cloudy, windy, and cold so they set us up inside. I did have a chair available both days. I was pretty tired afterwards but otherwise no real consequences.

Discovered I can go up stairs "normally" when I did it without thinking. Not ready to go down stairs "normally" yet.
 
Almost like a normal volunteer day, huh? A good, active day followed by need to rest. Enjoy it.
 
Well, I seem to have had a setback.:tantrum2: Last week I did something, don't know what, that aggravated my knee. I'm pretty sure of when though. I'm OK as long as I don't walk to far. If I do the pain starts to build in my leg and gets to a level higher than my presurgery arthritis level. Rest, ice, and ibuprofen returns things to a more normal level. X-rays tomorrow but am not expecting that to give me real answers.
 
Hoping things settle down fast for you @Claire56 with some TLC...... Good luck at your appointment tomorrow!
 
As expected, the X-rays didn't have any answers. This is what the report said: A total knee prosthesis is seen with normal alignment of the prosthetic components. No acute osseous changes are identified. The soft tissues appear normal.

The X-rays were not taken in the doctor's office so I now need to wait to hear from them.:whistle::sad: In the meantime, pain is back to being minimal to none but I am leary of going for any walks. For now I think I will stick to ADLs.
 
I have very gingerly started going for walks again. Shorter distances than before. So far so good. Unfortunately we are having pretty typical spring weather here. Cold and damp.

This long recovery along with some other minor surgery that I had has gotten to me a bit. I'm tired of being tired, not being able to do all the things I would like to do, the discomfort, etc. Doesn't help that this is the time of year that I often struggle with my mood. :bored: I just keep reminding myself that this too shall pass.
 
Good for you getting out for those walks -- even if just for a short distance now.

Doesn't help that this is the time of year that I often struggle with my mood.
I know what you mean. I've struggled with the winter blues for years. But spring means warmer weather is coming :flwrysmile::flwrysmile: and soon those daily walks will be in bright sunshine.
 
Knee pain flared up again Thursday. I have come up with a crazy idea as to the cause. I have been "duck footed" on that leg all my life and have been told I can correct it by consciously trying to rotate my foot inward. Well I have been trying to do that and wonder if maybe I am stressing something that can't handle it at this point. I am going to stop trying to alter my foot position and see what happens.

Now if only the weather would cooperate.
 
Any kind of change in gait will cause your knee to fuss. Make changes slowly and let it adjust. If you walked that way all your life you can't expect to change it in a few weeks. Slowly move that foot every so often and I bet your knee will adjust to the new way of walking just fine eventually.
 
Went for a 1/2 hr walk without trying to modify my gait and it didn't trigger the pain I had been getting. I'm not considering it problem solved yet but am hopeful.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom