Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I've had the ocular migraine experience twice, and I found it rather frightening at the time. I was looking at the screen at work when one half of the screen became completely illegible. No headache. I kept blinking and rubbing my eyes to no avail, and after about half an hour normal service was resumed. It happened again a few weeks later. This was probably a year or so ago and I haven't had it since.
 
@Cassidy that makes us seven! It's pretty funny since it does appear to be a kind of rare disorder, ocular migraine! Or maybe not so rare.... Only twice is good though. Maybe you were under a stressful period at that time. Hope things are going better at home and your husband is improving since the fall. You've got your plate full in the healing department right now. :console2:
 
He'd had a better day today, thanks @1stSurgery. I'm hoping that tomorrow they might try him walking, but accompanied, so that if he falls there'll be somebody to catch him. He gets bad migraines, but I don't think he's had the ocular ones.
 
I certainly hope they would accompany him, @Cassidy! And closely after what happened. Glad his day was improved, it's all about progress when healing.

I just had one of those I-know-she-means-well friends respond to my announcement of the next THR next month with; "...Seems you are taking longer than my other friends who had it done"

Prompting me to seek out a gritted teeth emoji...

I explained that while lefty was beginning to heal from surgery, I needed to weight bear largely on righty - who was already collapsed and disintegrated at that point ...and then she, righty, became disfunctional and super painful after that first month of left hip recovery. Left hip could go out and Tango tonight if she wanted. But would have to leave right hip at home. Who can't even walk and who aches all the time. Tried to explain that but... Oh well. I'm sure she meant well!! :snork:
 
:scary:Don't you just want to shut the door on those know it alls?!!!
Hahaha! I decided to wait awhile before replying to her!! The reply sat in Drafts while it cooled off. Having now gone through all this...I can't imagine saying that to someone who is in the throes of recovering from major surgery. I'm sure she meant well.... :)
 
Reminds me of a colleague at work, who pre op kept telling me that they do the op keyhole now, so I'd barely have a scar, would be walking normally within a couple of days and dancing around before I knew it. My daughter, who works at the same company, was yesterday asked how I was by colleagues in general, and when she said I was getting on fine hip wise, but was extra tired because, combined with the op, I wasn't sleeping particularly well because of husband's problems, this same work mate announced that she was tired too - it was probably the weather!

I may be tempted to show her my delightful scar when I go back, just to confirm her keyhole theory.

I hasten to add that she's one of those people who's always either had something or going to get it; she almost can't bear to be outdone. (She's also an older single lady and we often ask ourselves why!!!!)
 
@Cassidy yes, must be the weather.....!!! No reason to be tired if you get your 2 largest bones in your body sawed and hammered and reamed! And your husband's cardiac issues and fall on top of it.... Must be the weather...Looking down at my incision area ....I can't figure out what kind of key that might be!! :loll:
 
The right hip has now (not so subtly) informed me that she is indeed expired - past her step count shelf life- out of action, retired, resigned, gonzo.... and as such, she refuses to walk anymore... until I fix her. She has me down for the count again. Back in bed, in pain --and neither ice nor Tylenol makes her stop nagging.

I told her the surgery date was set, I told her the pre-op lab test date was set, I'm doing what I can... the surgeon is well respected, popular ...and was booked. My long piled-up To Do list of things involving going out and about just got folded up and passed on to hubby. Again. The abandoned walker is back as my friend. Again. Lefty was doing so well and her progress has been so even and steady, very few bumps. But she is now griping that she can't strut or even try out her new walk. She's been penalized by righty.

And we are all somewhat disheartened by it. :thud:

Reaching deeper into the Patience bag for yet more of that calm perspective and eye on the future. But I so miss walking....
 
So sorry to hear! I know it still won't come close to making things ok, but have you tried heat on the wicked stepsister? Heat helped me much more than ice presurgery. Heat on one side and ice on the other and the temp will be comfortable on average.
 
No @SaraK i hadn't tried that, thanks! Will do. The pain is so deep I have a feeling it's just what it is but will give it a go. I get over things quickly, mood wise, but today was just one of those funks we all get in when we feel it's endless and can't see the relief side yet.
 
Then I also amend my suggestion - time for a nice hot bubble bath! Best way on Earth to apply heat (especially with a tall glass of something cold and relaxing music in the background). Feel free to release water and refill as needed.:bath:
 
So sorry to hear you're in pain @1stSurgery, especially when you're being so encouraging to me, whilst suffering yourself. I know what you mean about the patience - my daughter and I went out for dinner on the way back from the hospital, because I'm getting a bit stir crazy sitting at home surrounded by walking aids, etc., and it felt quite strange being out in the real world again. I have to remind myself that In a matter of weeks we might be back to some semblance of normality, with any luck. It does seem endless at the moment. I hope your hip gives you a break.
 
Heat helped me also @1stSurgery in those final weeks leading up to surgery.
I never used heat during the day but it was about the only thing that gave me enough relief
to fall sleep. I'd lay in bed and watch tv with the heating pad. Sad, miserable days :bawl:

I'm so sorry you have to wait until September 20th. :console2:
Prayers for your comfort and some relief.
 
Thank you @Layla and @Cassidy. I need to find where my old heating pad is, been so immersed in ice lately! Then with the eye things I was doing hot compresses 2x / day, in between icings, at least that has finally cleared up. It's so hot here right now and muggy that the idea of a heating pad seems unattractive, but I will try! I also see I was supposed to take TWO Tylenol ...which may be why they weren't working! Took one. It's just pain and will be dealt with ...soon. I'll be ok. But thank you all for the advice and caring!!
 
My homemade "heating pad" is a tube sock filled with rice (you can add lavender essential oil if you want a different scent. I pop it into the microwave to heat and then it's fully portable. It molds so the body better than a heating pad, great lumbar support when the back is aching and I can use an ace bandage or something similar to strap it one and go about my business. One of my OBs told me about it!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom