Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@1stSurgery
Apart from the pt lady things sound good for you.
I have lots of stairs here too. When going up husband stood behind me and on the way down he stood in front. I never needed his help but it did give me confidence. I'm sure that you will manage them fine.
There is nothing like being at home.
 
@1stSurgery
Apart from the pt lady things sound good for you.
I have lots of stairs here too. When going up husband stood behind me and on the way down he stood in front. I never needed his help but it did give me confidence. I'm sure that you will manage them fine.
There is nothing like being at home.
My hubby did exact same last time @Bionic but I was practically hopping down last time, very little pain. I can do just about everything as before...just more slowwwly. I did just dress myself without devices or dresser tools. My nurse today is a guy and almost had to ask help with getting on panties! But I got it! Hubby and friend are on the way to pack me up, load me up, and get me home sweet home. Man, could I use some SLEEP! Been days. Thanks @Bionic and save some wine for me for later!
:martini:
 
:wave:@1stSurgery! You are doing so well, despite the unfortunate mishap yesterday. Sounds like you nailed it all in PT today :curtsey:. Hope you are at home now, with all your pillows, catching up on :sleep:. Let the healing begin! A toast to your good health :cheers2:
:flwrysmile:
 
Clever Bionic for that suggestion. You could always name them “Passion Pants” once you are recovered!

I am just catching up with the thread and love the bit about two breakfasts. One for each hip. Good on you for eating both. I am now going to count the stairs in my house - think less than 15 ...
 
There is a company called Big Bloomers and I ordered my knickers one size up from my normal size. It turned out to be a great idea. They also do tights and winter tights for ladies with larger frames (;-)) so will be getting my cousin.

Cold here and putting the central heating in and looking out my thermals. I remember how cold weather affected my bad hip last year and don’t want my remaining natural hip to get bad ideas.
 
You two above, Bev and bickeypeg, are cracking me up! :heehee:

Thinking of you this morning @1stSurgery I kept imagining you trudging up those steps. I'll bet it wiped you out.
I hope your pain was under control your first night home and you got some sound sleep.
Wishing you a comfy first full day at home.
 
Pain pain pain. Oh wow. Last time I went off meds day 3 so this time I just forgot about them. Hospital gave me the T one (toradol, tramadol?) before PT at 10 am and I didn't take anything after.

Getting into house was super painful and slow, troubling. About 3 pm I got home, surely the 10 am drug was wearing off. Then getting into bed took two of us and was awful. I still wasn't thinking clearly because last time was so easy. Then getting up for bathroom ...that evening, still no meds taken after the am one...was the worst. I don't know why I did that -people were over and I have problems with most medicines ...and try to go without. I know, dumb. The walk to the bathroom had me sobbing half way and took forever. My poor husband was having to talk me down and be therapist. I just couldn't get there.couldnt weight bear on right side, too painful. So much pain. Finally... I got there and back, getting into bed took five hard minutes, two people. . I took an oxy and woke up middle of night and took the T drug again, then another oxy. Haven't tried to get up. Can't bear that again. I guess I just forgot about it ...being groggy and I had thse 2 visitors, sister and a friend, who came over after coming home. They stayed for hours and I was in bed and feeling... fair so...didn't think about it.

Sorry for depressing party pooper post! But that was stupid of me and wow, why did PT go ok, not great but I walked the floor of the hospital and did stairs, and come home...I can't walk. I now belong to the under-did it club? With meds. Stooopid!

I'm unclear on the T drug, another pain anti inflammatory --and the oxy, in terms of scheduling dosages. Take them together or space apart. Probably have some paper telling me but too groggy.

Ok carry on with the bloomers!!! Hahaha! It is amusing! Hippys have a twisted sense of humor. :)
 
Last edited:
@1stSurgery Here we are, all nursing our hangovers, giggling about knickers and you, poor dear, are in agony and we had no idea! Yikes! Sending out cyber pain killers as I type. I posted elsewhere about stairs, and included your stairs under "others". So sorry you are suffering :console2:

This is what I've learned thus far with the T drug. It is an opioid based drug called Tramadol. If it has acetaphetamine (Tylenol) added to it, which it often does, it is called Tramacet. Have someone look at the check-out paperwork to see if you should be taking the T drug on a schedule, and using the Oxy for any breakthrough pain over and above what the T drug does. I believe that the Oxy is stronger, but stand to be corrected. I don't know much about the Oxy other than it is another opioid based drug, and I wouldn't know if you should be taking the Oxy and the T drug at the same time. Perhaps check the paperwork first. Can you reach your OS practice? Do they have a call in line open on the weekend? If not, I'd ask Josephine. She helped me out tremendously. The other thing you can do is speak to the pharmacist at the pharmacy from which the meds were purchased. I found that really helpful too, as the pharmacist explained how each pain meds I had functioned on the pain scale.

Hopefully you can get this sorted soonest and will be at a decent comfort level pronto. I found when I started moving as a true measure of what pain meds I needed. I saw a reminder somewhere here to not compare hips, that each joint is different in its recovery.
Thinking of you :flwrysmile:
 
We just got grabber #2 from Amazon for upstairs too! Aren't they a wonderful invention! I feel better now with the backup since I was imagining the catastrophe if grabber one broke! I'm very co-dependent on my grabber. But it's unconditional love!! [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

I have one question forgot to ask. I also depend on this leg lifter thing I saw recommended here and it's been super useful for a simple not that well made little wire thing. I call it my leg forklift. But.... I still use it to get in and out of my tall bed. I wonder if it's time on week 2 to go without it? I notice there is now FAR less pain if I make a quarter inch wrong turn on the getting in/out of bed routine. Before it took some real choreography to get it right.

Do you guys use this thing? If so, for how long after surgery? TIA!

The leg-lifter thingie? I didn’t get one — but I want you to know that after I have been on my feet awhile (and I am almost 5 weeks along) my leg doesn’t obey and I still need help lifting it into bed, onto couch, whatever. It was a good decision for you to get it, I think!



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@1stSurgery I just had my second hip done - very different experience - more pain with this one.

When I’m in so much pain it’s hard to think straight. I would have my husband call the nursing floor and ask them what pain meds you should be taking and when - if that doesn’t work, have him call the pharmacist.

Good luck - you and your husband can do this! And should do it ASAP!

I’m in complete agreement with @Alitm
 
Thank you so guys! I'm in good hands now, my hubby and best friend are on it and making sure I stick to the regimen with meds. I'm crying and an emotional pot of soup here... half because of the kindness I'm surrounded with and half due to pain, well, some due to flying high on oxy. I am blessed to have some very caring people around me including youz guyz. Hubby brought a nice anti constipation breakfast, I'm doing every 4 hrs oxy now and @Alitm thanks so much for the clarification on those meds!! Very helpful. When you're foggy it's hard to get it straight. I'm due at 4pm for the T drug and it's ok to take with the oxy every four hrs I think, recalling from last time. I feel better now just knowing the way out. It kind of amazes me; I was doing heel slides, stairs and bridges and walking around yesterday morning at hosp, and cannot even lift right knee up at all today. But life isn't really about how far we lift our right knee two days after joint replacement. It's about the caring people around you who get you to the healing place where the right knee will lift ...along with your spirit! Thankful emoji inserted here!! Xx
 
Last edited:
yes @lovesstars that leg lifter thing....irreplaceable! I use it for so much. Also the small step box at floor by bedside. Just high enough to get the leg up in stages. We have a high bed, very hard to "mount" and dismount. I feel like an Olympian each time I get back in successfully. Romania 9.2 on the dismount. :)
 
@1stSurgery So glad you are back on track with the meds. Phew! Your sense of humour is coming through so you must be at "cruising altitude" again. Amazing things happen when pain is managed, except for going to the loo of course :heehee:. I was given a lecture about pain management from a friend of mine, who had TKR surgery a week before my hip surgery. She said she and hubs forgot/forgot to set the alarm/didn't think she needed meds through the night. She said she was a blubbering mess the next morning as things wore off, and that I should please remember to take my meds around the clock to start with! In hindsite I might have been overmedicated with the Dilauded, but the side effects certainly got me off them quickly!

How many posts did I make here about the wretched T drugs until I got it sorted? Honestly, I feel like my OS took some of my cognitive functioning with my hip!! Every day I start to feel better, and I hope with that, my brain cells will return/rejuvenate/something! :rotfl:

Hoping that you are truly cruising in comfort and have a restful afternoon with wonderful family and friends.
:flwrysmile:
 
@1stSurgery
Sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. Hopefully now that you have worked out your regime you will get everything under control.
I found it difficult to follow the instructions I.e. Take med A every four hours, take med B twice a day, take med C in the morning if you need it etc. In the end I wrote it all down with the exact times I should have been taking things and set alarms on my phone. Job done.
By the way, we had a great party in your absence. I tried to do the one legged tap dance but the big bloomers kept falling down.
 
Husband made a table (yeah, he is left-brained) to track all meds and when I am taking them. Yes I also set an alarm in super early days. I am still using the table!! It is on pink paper!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom