THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

The nail polish fix is an easy one, don't worry too much if they haven't called back...take remover and some cotton balls with you. I was told nothing on any nails, then nothing on the op side. If they can assess nail beds on some part of your body, you will be good to go!
Thinking of you so much this evening, me just a week ago! I felt quite calm at the end and just couldn't wait to get 'er done.
We'll all be cheering for you and anxiously awaiting your first post op post! You've got this, and the relief that both are done and dusted is going to be FABULOUS! Bye bye evil hip! :yahoo:
Sending hugs and major positive vibes down the coast to you! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Alitm - I'm pretty calm, mostly tired. The ice machine is bulky and hard to situate but it will be a lifesaver later. Decided to take a break and watch some baseball! Calms me more. I'll take some remover if they don't call back.
Thanks for hugs and vibes!! :roseshwr:
Right back at you and your new hip!! Hope you sleep well tonight.

:sleep:
 
2 Questions please for any Ossur Cold Rush users!

1) Do you really have to unplug it after each session? The instructions insist to always have unplugged when refilling with water and ice and to unplug at each end of use. Safety precaution? It's going to be plugged in at floor level where I won't be able to easily reach down each time after surgery, and don't want to have to call hubby in each time.

2) How long on average, ballpark, can you run on a 'full tank' of ice? We have bottles in freezer, about 10.

Thanks!!
 
My two cents: 1. Yep, I do unplug it. I want it to last a good long time and don’t want to overtax the motor or electrical system — yes I call husband or whomever to do it for me (Mary Poppins, UPS carrier, wandering band of musicians....). And 2. I run a ‘full tank’ of ice from 3-6 hours, depending on day and situation.

Good luck tomorrow! So exciting!
 
We are doing the frozen bottles. Hubs changes them out every six hours, but as @lovesstars says, grab anyone available...friends coming to visit...before they sit down!
I'm mostly in my recliner at the moment, as I sleep better here. I've made three attempts at bed sleeping since I've been home. Last night I aborted the mission at 1:30AM! So the hip pad has been attached to me pretty much24/7 this week except for my trips to the bathroom and when I have my shower. Hubs had turned the machine off at shower time, as that takes so long at the moment! In general I would turn it off when not using.
:flwrysmile:
 
Aw thanks so much youz guyz!! I was really hoping you'd say-- no, leave it plugged in --but that's a good long period you can use the same ice so I guess I will make a kind of schedule.
@lovesstars ...I will be on the lookout for Mary Poppins who now works for FedEx I hear!! And my house is frequently inhabited by a wandering band of musicians ...but they would never hear my calls for someone to come unplug me!
So that 3-6 hours you're icing the whole time? Wearing pad? Or you probably turn temp down after 30-40 mins?
Full of questions I am!!

Thank you for the info!!

I do not want to buy another lengthy device to do what I can't do. A six foot long unplugger.... :)
 
@Alitm sorry the bed sleeping isn't working, but happy you have your recliner. I didn't go that route. About the only thing I didn't buy ....but Im ok in the bed so far with my 72 pillows.
So when you take pad off to go to bathroom....you just turn the unit OFF and unplug then come back and put it back, right? .....you don't unplug power for that do you?
 
I do 3-6 hours lying on the couch with pad on, reading a book, listening to podcasts, writing to you lovely geniuses who are helping me through this time.
I have the unit set at #3.
 
Wow, so it's ok to ice for hours and hours at a time @lovesstars -- I thought we were to do 40 mins or so and then break and ice again later. I like that though, the longer sessions. Everyone loves their Ossur so I'm excited to have a new cold therapy this time.
Last time it was forty texts a day ...Honey can u bring ice? NSA thought we were building an igloo.
This should be easier a couple texts.... Honey can you unplug me?
:heehee:
 
Finger nails bare. Painted toes ok. At least I got by with a freshly painted toe nails, lol. They never said a word. They like bare finger nails to monitor oxygen levels.

Big hugs! Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and an uneventful surgery.
Post when you're able. We'll be waiting to hear from you when you're comfortable enough to give us a :thumb:
 
I'm sure if your OS is a stickler one way or another they probably have nail polish remover at the surgery site.
 
@1stSurgery When I go to the shower, Hubs turns it off by the switch, but doesn't unplug. The bathroom is generally a short trip, so I leave machine running. I could probably deal with turning it on and off with the golfers reach, but don't want to mess around with that just yet as I have low blood pressure and sometimes get the dizzy head rush thing when bending over. We are running the ice machine at the coldest setting at the moment, but I have cotton PJ bottoms between me and the pad. No problem with my skin, but everyone is different. I've tried it over sweat pants, and find that is too much fabric between me and the machine!

Hubby is 6'5" and takes up a lot of the king bed. I've added a couple of extra pillows, but we are on pillow overload just with them! Can't have head nurse getting tired and grumpy, as he is waking up at 2AM to give me my the around the clock meds, feeding horses and dogs and pretty much everything for now. Don't want to boot him out of his bed when the recliner is working better for me at the moment! I'll give the bed another try in a week or so. I'll get back there eventually....just in time for #2 hip surgery I'm sure :heehee:
I get cozy in the recliner. The dogs sleep on their beds just over from me, and I use the walker as a guard so they don't bump my legs. The ice machine is on, I put on a meditation app on my phone, headphones in, and away I go :sleep:.

Hope you get some sleep tonight, with your early start tomorrow. So excited for you :yay:
 
Thinking of you. Looking forward to your first post.
Can't wait to see what An54 pulls off for your party. I'll be there with bells and whistles.
Sending love, hugs and wishes for your comfort.
@1stSurgery
 
By my estimates, 8:23 AM pacific time, you are half way through surgery, based on a 1 hour op. Hoping they brought in the ghost busters for any escaping aliens:heehee: . Decorating now :SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom