THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Husband bought me a shower stool so that I would be safe and as I also had a waterproof dressing I had my first shower the day after I got home. I must say it really helped me to feel 'normal' again.
I was able to use the grabber to put shampoo, shower gel etc on the stool before I got in and then sat down next to them. I used one crutch to help me out and made sure I dried the bottom of it each time so that I didn't go skidding all over the place.
I also bought a non slip mat for the shower which was very cheap and gave me some confidence.
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery


3 MORE DAYS UNTIL HEADLINES WILL READ:

"'EVIL RIGHT HIP' REPORTED MISSING TODAY IN LOS ANGELES. FOUL PLAY SUSPECTED"

POLICE REPORT WOMAN WITH CODE NAME "1ST SURGERY" AS A PERSON OF INTEREST IN THE CRIME.
THE SUSPECT REPORTEDLY ENGAGED IN OPEN HATE SPEECH AND REPEATED THREATS TO 'EVIL RIGHT HIP' IN NUMEROUS ONLINE POSTINGS. THE CASE REMAINS WITH THE HOMICIDE DIVISION WHILE INVESTIGATION IS ONGOING. SUSPECT WAS LAST SEEN WEARING A HOSPITAL GOWN AND SLIPPERS AND IS STILL AT LARGE IN THE LOS ANGELES VICINITY.
 
@Bionic I have a shower chair also which I refer to as my cute pink shower chair. But it was just unstable enough to make me afraid to use it! I reached to the arms to steady myself to find the chair rocked and swayed. And it was all wet and slippery in there! :) Also got the non slip mat which did help. I just forgot to organize it well last time. Now it's better set up for one stop one reach for everything and I won't need to be traveling east to west as much! But yes, nothing like that first shower!!! Love it.
 
A bit late for you but I got a local handyman to fix 2 grab bars in the shower. I'm naturally clumsy and I cling onto them for dear life and soap with one hand and a long handled sponge. I long for a bath though...
Thanks @bickypeg but sadly, yes, too late for installs now since I'm only THREE DAYS away.... but not really paying much attention to how many days..really...lost track..... :)

I've got to stay in a few hotels third week of October which will be 3-4 wks out from THR and I forgot about that step over the tub to get into the shower thing! We have shower stall separate from tub at home, much easier. So I had to have them book me the handicapped "roll in" shower rooms. Just in case that knee still isn't bending enough on week 4. Hoping the shower will be less frightening this second time around!
 
@1stSurgery You are getting close, and of course last minute work "things' come up now, just to keep your pulse rate up! :censored: :gaah:
I took my first shower! We also have a walk in shower for "aging in place" (who knew I'd be having two THR's four years after bathroom renos!). Engineering minded hubby and I planned the attack! We had a few trial runs with his Mum when she was still traveling to visit. I digress. We put the raised toilet seat and frame (he picked it up yesterday for me) in the shower. The wobbly shower stool we bought for MIL came up from the basement (she never used it either) to double as a "side table", upon which I put shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap, long handled back brush, long handled sponge etc. We took down the flexy shower head where I could easily reach it. We put the rubber tub mat in front of the raised toilet seat frame. I backed the walker into the shower until I was touching the frame of the raised toilet seat, put my hands back on the handles and sat down. It worked out quite well, but I hope I'm not having to do this for too long, what a ordeal! I felt really safe though and had such a great shower and hair wash. I'm not sure if that put me in the ODIC, but now have swelling on the outside of my op leg knee, and swelling coming down the outside thigh. Icing with the ice machine and two big ice packs front and back of the thigh, where the ice machine does not reach...and of course where the swelling is! All I can think of is the zig zag arrow of healing progress!!!
 
It's getting real! Only 2 more sleeps until your big day. Relief is finally coming your way.
I know you can hold on now. I'm looking forward to your 2 days and 1 day to wait posts. They've been
entertaining and your captions original. Will miss them.
All I can do at this point is pray for your comfort and I will. I hope today is a good day.
@1stSurgery
 
Great news on the first shower @Alitm and I found that they all got far easier after that first one. So no, I doubt it will be such a production next time. As for swelling, I'm so sorry but that sounds more like normal day 3 stuff rather than any result of overdoing it. They say day 3 can be the worst one for swelling, pain and bruises. You're right on track for the norm! You're doing great so far, keep it up! I'm getting short on time. Not sure but think it's something like ...two days to go?? :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much @Layla, I so appreciate the prayers and wishes! My girlfriend told me last night she will postpone her travel plans and be here for my discharge and first week so that was really good news since hubby got last minute bookings. It is all falling into place. Except I'm behind on being "ready" to go. Will try to devote today to final preparations in the house and in the head. Have been talking to evil right hip after reading @Tennessee1 thread! Thanking her for her 6 decades of exemplary service and some great work, despite all the demands put upon her over the years... "What? You want me to climb THAT?! The Great Pyramid of Giza?" She was a good sport and took me far and wide and high on climbing so many hills and monuments...so many twists and kicks and running around courts...but now she's exhausted!! And I can't blame her for protesting when I expected her to take over full weight after her brother, lefty, got remodeled. She was not up to the task. In hip years she must be around 105 now, all that she's had to do! Poor old girl!! At last she can rest. Rest...is good. :)
 
I felt a sadness, heaviness in losing my natural hip also. I had a few quiet tearful moments
in bed the night before surgery, giving thanks for all the good years my hip gave me rather than cursing it failing me. It's a healthier way to look at it, really. I'm forever grateful for the opportunity of a second chance, which in the not so distant past was not a reality for others. You're going to do well. I'm really excited for you to lose the pain and finally move forward.
Big hugs!
@1stSurgery
 
I’d never have guessed others also feel the need to say farewell to the hip we are about to lose. I guess we really are so much the same. Wouldn’t it be neat to make a list of all the places we’ve been? I’ve wanted to do that but so far keep procrastinating that.
 
Funny - I always saw my hip as a worn-out part, and felt about as emotional about it as a old set of tires. I wonder if that's a guy thing? (Although I do tend to get weepy about having to buy new tires.)

Two more days! I think you're wise to put off some of the prep - you'll want to have something to do on Hipmas Eve to take your mind off ... things.
 
No, @Bone-obo, I don't think it's a guy thing.
I believe, Josephine, who will correct me if I'm wrong, has compared it to wanting to hold
onto a decaying / dead tooth.
Given the choice, I'd rather lose a tooth, less recovery time :happydance:

Hope you're having a good day @1stSurgery :hi:
 
@1stSurgery Sorry to be so quiet today. Did I miss today's It's Only....? We had notices that we would be out of power most of the day due to work being done on the lines in the area...all good before the Fall windstorms and Winter show up. Just checked...no I didn't miss it! Phew! #3 was good!!!
Hope all the work related last minute stuff is sorted or almost, or the most its going to be!
I also hope you have had some time to rest a bit and get off that evil hip that is paining you so. Not long now!
How is the sleeping? Any at all?! Soon you'll have that relief from the OA!
 
No worries at all @Alitm im just tying up loose ends around here. Pre registered at hospital, printed supplement list 2x for admission, paid all bills due and cut toe nails saying goodbye to my feet for awhile. Going to lather legs with cream before the dreaded hibiclens shower tomorrow to maybe offset the lizard leg syndrome I had last time. Sent hubby out for the pumpkin paste prune juice and room full o snacks and treats. Next will tend to some work, finish up stuff and pack the overnight bag and try to sleep early tonight. Sleep has been better with the 3 Ms I must admit. Going to be awhike though till I'm off the back in bed. Hoping your recovery is still going gangbusters and the ice is plentiful and zzzzzz's as well.
 
@Layla! A decaying old tooth! Hahaha! That's a good one, maybe I can find a "2" with a tooth theme.... And @Bone-obo ...how sensitive you are to weep over new tires! Or maybe it's the invoice for the new tires that trigger your outbursts of sorrow! In any case, right hip has earned her place in the Hip Hall of Fame I suppose and I shall pay tribute to her, poor old buggy. She's a little quieter today, maybe sensing the 2 day countdown. Don't know where she'd hear that, not like I've been keeping track.

Thanks all for all the support, good company and laughs ...and tears over tires ... In the lead up to #2. Couldn't have made it without you all!!
 
:happydance: :happydance:
Can't wait, super excited for you!
Is your doc on board with the consuming liquids after midnight trend we're reading of?
I wish I could have. They gave me about a tablespoon of water to wash down 8 pills, gag!
@1stSurgery
 
:happydance: :happydance:
Can't wait, super excited for you!
Is your doc on board with the consuming liquids after midnight trend we're reading of?
I wish I could have. They gave me about a tablespoon of water to wash down 8 pills, gag!
@1stSurgery
I thnk so @Layla because last time they were super relaxed about it. I want to get some good magnesium into the blood before surgery and they're fine with that as well. Hubby is making salmon dinner tomorrow for the last pre op meal. I'm digging through the big baggy pants section of closet now to pick the hospital garb. I had to laugh looking at my last packing list ....socks! ...as if I was going to bend over and put on socks on day one. I didn't know then.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom