THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Thank you @Bionic @SurreyGirl @An54 @Layla @Mojo333!

I'm so tired can barely type, maybe that bodes well for sleeping tonight.

I don't do well with most meds @An54, do not methylate well so have to be cautious.

6 more days, but I just learned today my caregiver friend will be out of town during surgery week which is sad since she is so helpful and last time coordinated everything so well with my husband. They had it all down. He is supposed to be working that weekend right when I'm likely to be discharged... so I need to -last minute- wrangle up some people to get me home, and to help with cat and with me, so we can eat! (2 story home) I think he may have to cancel his weekend job. He doesn't know this yet. Second choice caregiver friend will be in Italy that week. I don't like bugging people to come by ...but I don't want to be alone those first days when I know it's hard to get around.

Anyways thank you all so much for the encouragement, as always on BoneSmart! It's so appreciated. :roseshwr:
 
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery


(So I have to do "6" all over again since the schedule change. This is the second "6 days" countdown!)

ONLY 6 DAYS TO DISCOVER THAT A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND IS TITANIUM, NOT DIAMONDS!

BUT ...WHO'S COUNTING??
 
Last edited:
Oh you must rally your husband and friends! You mustn't go into hospital worrying about how you are going to cope. I'm sure you have other friends and family who could help and would like to be asked as you sound such a nice person. If the worst came to the worst could you pay for a carer to come in for a couple of days?
 
Hi @bickypeg ....seems my friends travel a lot! :) I have two in town but both have low sports cars, one other possible girl who is often up in Canada or NY but haven't tried her yet. Husband may cancel his work, we are getting back ups in place. Hard to know with a Friday surgery when I'll be discharged also, most likely on Saturday. Maybe Sunday. I'm sure it will work out, but yeah, not something I want to worry about right beforehand. Thank you, how's your second hip doing?
 
Would they discharge you the day after surgery? Surely not! I should emphasise your discomfort as much as possible! Would the hospital provide transport? Or are there hospital taxis? I came home in an ambulance which was overkill but I told them I couldn't get in our lowslung car.I remember I worried about this for weeks beforehand.Perhaps a friend could hire a car for the day?
Rough night last night- tried lying on my bad side for the first time and only lasted an hour. Very uncomfortable this morning and had to have a codeine. Frustrating as I was full of beans recently and getting rid of some of my old lady props! Not to worry. It's all worth a try.
 
Hi @1stSurgery
As you know my op was on a Friday but I wasn't discharged until the Monday. They told me in advance I would be in for 3 nights and I was. Can you ask what the arrangements are likely to be so that you can make plans?
I have a 4 x 4 car because we live in the country and the height was certainly a big help for getting in and out.
I did practice before I went into hospital though, put a plastic bag on the seat (it helps you to manoeuvre), put the seat back as far as it will go and also lower the seat back a little bit. Pretend that you have just had your hip done and see if you can get in and out without too much disruption. I felt the practice really helped me not to feel so scared.

@bickypeg
I am a week ahead of you. I had been trying to lay on my operated side for about 3 weeks and could probably only manage about 30 mins at best. However, things seem to be much better this week and I have slept on that side for quite a bit longer.
So give it a few more days and try again, you might surprise yourself.
 
I'm sure it will all workout. If not, we'll come to your rescue.
:biking: < bickypeg
:capn: < Bionic
:hiking: < An54
:hog: < Mojo333
:bicycle1: < Layla
:vespa:< Bevlah

:bicycle2: < Alitm (Hey, at least she's trying....she's fresh out of surgery.
:surfer: < Josephine!
All the rest > :fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:

@1stSurgery
 
Hi Bickypeg, try your non op side but put a pillow or two between your legs then trying turning over into that side. Took me a bit of getting used to but works now. Just into my 8th weeknand still uncomfortable on my operated side but it will come!
 
@1stSurgery so sorry my friend to hear that sleeps prevails you with the constant pain :tiredwheel: thank goodness there is an end in sight! Maybe just give up on the sleep entirely and do something in the wee hours (box sets, reading eTC) and nap during the day? The oa pain will be gone straight after the op, hang onto that thought x
 
@1stSurgery I am so sorry that you have to wait another day. If I had been told that I would have lost the plot...I'm incredibly impressed that you are hanging in there, even by just a thread. Just remember, the OA pain will be GONE. I was so amazed, it felt like my entire right hip area, muscles and all, had relaxed....it was amazing. Yes I have the surgical pain, but that can be managed. I also understand with the changes, and how difficult that is emotionally...so very hard when you are almost there. As for surgery on a Friday, I had a positive experience on a Friday. It is up to your OS if he wants you to be discharged over the weekend, or after the weekend.
Also, I know how unhinged I was when I thought my husband was going to be stuck in Bermuda due to Flo, and might not make it back in time for my surgery. When one is in so much pain and is SO tired, and all those things start to happen, it is just so hard to cope with. It will work out, and it sounds as already things are starting to come together....sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way.....:loveshwr: . I would :horseriding: to you if I could!
 
Alert the media!! I SLEPT LAST NIGHT!!! :spin::dancy::happydance::wave::loveshwr:

And what a difference it makes. Melatonin, magnesium and meditation video. The 3-M combo-punch did it ...finally. So happy!! Pain is milder today and life seems brighter after some shut eye.

I've been lining up rides and back-up rides and will call OS tomorrow to get odds of a weekend discharge. It's different here @Bionic - we do have weekend discharges but not sure about this hospital so will get the odds. Impossible to line up a ride without knowing the day. @bickypeg - it's very common here to be released the day after ..if you pass PT and OT tests the day of surgery. Last hip was a Thursday and I was sent home on Friday. So no, it's definitely the most likely scenario....IF they will do weekend discharges. Do not want to stay there till Monday

@Layla LOVE your possee lineup for the caravan to get me home!! :heehee: I'd have to clear that gang with the parking!! Very cute and made me laugh. Thank you

@Alitm Am so happy you're doing well and moving along! Was a little worried when we didn't hear from you right away but saw you had log in issues. Thanks for the encouragement, it's all going to work out, will talk to OS tomorrow re likelihood of weekend discharge and go through the address book to line up high car friends.

@Mojo333 ....how fine is frog hair? That must be a southern expression?! :)

Thanks to everyone (@Bevlah @bickypeg @Layla @Mojo333 @SurreyGirl @Alitm @Bionic)-- for all the nice words to comfort me in my moment of 'Will I Need to Hitchhike?' panic.
 
Sleep, the sweetest balm. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and now it's just a few days until the other side. You will rock this. So to speak. Is it too early to start decorating?
No, Not too soon!! As the BoneSmart Interior Designer extraordinaire, (BSIDE)... we all know that you can throw something fabulous together at the last minute ...but I'd like something very festive with an exotic flair, if possible? I kind of missed @Alitms party in a moment of date change readjustment and sleepless in SoCal. Thanks for heading up the decorating committee. How about some Canadian wine for the party? Have I slipped into the fluff pond again? I can never tell. I need a fluff-o-meter alarm app that sounds off when I've gone too far.
 
Bringing this post over from the September Sapphires thread since it is still in the Pre Op forum.

An open invitation to a September Sapphire Recovery party in my room on PM Sept 21 or Sept 22nd depending on meds! Walkers, canes and crutches welcome!
Be there, you won't want to miss it... so far, we've got @SurreyGirl on the violin (good post-op pain accompaniment music) and @An54 - designer extraordinaire - in charge of party decorations and beverages.
Drop in and share the cheer to celebrate the demise of evil twin hip, aka "righty", and to meet her replacement, Concorde. (pronounced with proper French accent) Because she will be supersonic, outperform them all and take me miles and miles around the globe at Mach2 speed.
If anyone else has musical skills I'm sure @SurreyGirl would appreciate the opportunity for a post op jam. BYO snacks and grabbers to reach for them! Free ice to the first 5 party guests. Not for the beverages, for the hips.

I am dangerously off the edge in Fluff-ville territory now ohboy.
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 ....how fine is frog hair? That must be a southern expression?
:heehee: it is...
It's so fine you can't even see it, right?
I'm a terrible decorator, have no musical talent, and dislike cleaning so don't want to be relegated to the "clean up" crew ...:scratch:
I have some great impressions using props like a cocktail napkin or wine opener however!

Hope today is a Good Day...:loveshwr:
 
And featuring ...special guest star @Mojo333 doing uncanny impressions with corkscrews!
Who can possibly miss this star studded entertainment lineup?
Who else wants to be in on the Sapphire party's talent roster? Sign up now! Sound check on Thursday.
:snork: :cheers::yay:
 
I am hoping that once number two is done, you can truly get on with this hip recovery business.
I'm sure it is frustrating that you aren't able to fully appreciate how much better left is doing due to evil twin.
How good to get this over with!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom