THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I hope your hip gives you a break.
@Cassidy...no, no, no!
Not allowed.:no-fin:
We don't even say fall...it's officially autumn!:rotfl:
Sorry you're having a bad day 1stSurgery...
Hang in there!:curtsey:
 
Good idea, @SaraK! Thank you! And you just reminded me that I have this microwaveable lavender pillow I could use. It's just so HOT here lately! Will wait till evening after sundown.
 
Haha, thanks @Mojo333 for putting the brakes on the "breaks"!! No worries here, remember as the head of the Overly Cautious Club, I'm very careful!!
 
Hear! Hear! for the Overly Cautious Club. :)

It would be an honour to be accepted for membership. I have been practising since July 18th.
Membership accepted @An54! We are few, but we are mighty!! I was so easy on the new hip and she really didn't give me any trouble in return. Plan to use OCC protocols for next one too! You are now officially a proud OCC member. Our motto is ....Be Careful!! :cheers:
 
My homemade "heating pad" is a tube sock filled with rice (you can add lavender essential oil if you want a different scent. I pop it into the microwave to heat and then it's fully portable. It molds so the body better than a heating pad, great lumbar support when the back is aching and I can use an ace bandage or something similar to strap it one and go about my business. One of my OBs told me about it!

THIS!! Rice sock is wonderful!!
 
I was / am a member of the OCC, myself.
Had zero restrictions but self imposed them :curtsey:
Figured if they were good enough for others, they were good for me too.
Scaredy Cat, that's me. Was taking no chances. Never had a bit of curiosity about that ODIC. :heehee:
@1stSurgery
 
Membership accepted @An54! We are few, but we are mighty!! I was so easy on the new hip and she really didn't give me any trouble in return. Plan to use OCC protocols for next one too! You are now officially a proud OCC member. Our motto is ....Be Careful!! :cheers:

I am honoured. I am humbled. And I am changing the title of my thread to :

An54--taking the Rest Cure, because "Hips actually Don't Need any exercise to get better."

I will now celebrate by doing a few heel pumps and buttock clenches, then resume resting.
 
Welcome to the very exclusive Club, @Layla! The few, the mighty. Although I'm still in Bad Hip prison and not very mobile but counting down the days.... 41 DAYS of ridiculous right side pain left!

@An54 those glute clenches actually are very effective! I've noticed big tone return from them, doing about 2x per day sometimes 3. But never overdoing it!! Would look bad as the (self appointed) International Chief representative of the illustrious ....OCC.

We OCC members compete amongst ourselves... to see who has done the LEAST PT per week!! :heehee:

Awards will be handed out at the end of the year.
 
We OCC members compete amongst ourselves... to see who has done the LEAST PT per week!!

Dear 1stSurgery, You are a hippie after my own heart!

Here is my first daily blog on how hard I rested today.

Today I got up from sofa to use the loo at approximately 6am, (used walker).
Then I lay down again and rested on sofa.
After resting, I dozed off.
Awakening from my doze, I rested again, then got ice pack, drank coffee, ate muffin, and relaxed.
After a mid-length relaxation session, I located a song on Youtube.



Lying on sofa, I played song. Wiggle feet and toes and bun-clench to music.

Rest.

So that brings me up to 2:00 pm Thursday August 9th.

Beat that!
 
Wow, I can see there is going to be some stiff competition to win that OCC 2018 Most Careful THR Award!! That's a tough one to beat @An54!! I've probably covered about twenty feet of space but I am working from the bed again, like pre surgery days, due to pain. I took my To Do list and handed it to my husband who is out picking things up for me. I contacted an electrician for some work at the house. Emailed for business an hour or two. Rested. Washed and dried my hair, that was a chore! Had to rest. Watched one inning of a losing baseball game. Rested.

I think you may have overdone it a bit with the toe wiggle though @An54... Just sayin. That could cause metatarsal damage during healing stages... Be careful!!!
 
I forgot to add.... I trimmed my bangs!! And made breakfast, eggs, toast, lemon water. I'd better slow down...
 
Since this seems to be Club headquarters, I've somewhat abandoned my own thread! :) But I wanted to report a heads-up story about a former co-worker who had her THR around same date as I did. As a caveat.

Earlier this week she was leaving in a rush, realized she had the wrong shoes on and went back to change shoes, she said she was taking off and putting on shoes hurriedly... and said that she twisted & bent in some unfortunate combination... and her new hip dislocated! I was shocked that after two mos anything like that could occur, especially from putting on shoes?!? But she's not the type to fabricate a story. She said the pain was the worst she had ever experienced, including childbirth. Ambulance took her to have the reduction and put it back in and she's home resting and ok but what a horror story! That's all I know for now as I heard it from a mutual friend but that must have been some torque to dislodge the new hip...or maybe it wasn't well secured. I gave her the BoneSmart link and later will ask her to join the club!
 
Today is the New Moon, signifying new beginnings, start of a new cycle. Going with that theme, I HIGHLY recommend hippies play this song, (**must be played very loudly to be most effective), after each milestone achieved.
Like ....shoe tying. Walking without cane. Bending over to pet the cat. Side sleeping.

This is the perfect celebration of that big moment-- only you have to sing along, so I've provided the lyrics.

And don't worry if you don't sound like Nina Simone... No one does! :snork:

HAPPY NEW DAWN, NEW DAY, NEW MOON!



Nina Simone - Feeling Good

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel
It's a new dawn It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom on the tree you know how I feel
Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean,
don't you know Butterflies all havin' fun
you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
That's what I mean
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine And I know how I feel
 
Last edited:
@1stSurgery :yikes: That is dreadful! Your poor friend. Great that you passed on the BoneSmart link. So scary and painful. It is said that three months is considered "early recovery"....so at two months out, we are so vulnerable. Do you know which approach your friend had?
 
1st Surgery: I just noticed your dates.......June 7th with the second one upcoming on Sept 20th. I also had my first one done in June 7th and am having my second one done Sept 27th. At first I thought the the time between would be enough but as my second date gets closer, I am bit more concerned.

I loved your post about people that think a hip replacement falls somewhere between a haircut and a pulled tooth! I can't agree more...GRRRR. My mom told me about a woman she met that had a THR and 3 weeks later flew to and paraded around Ireland for a month.....welll....that evoked a good bit of swearing from me because I was just able to paint my toes on the THR side for the first time about a week ago!! So "parading around Ireland...my rear!! It's "recovery" stories like that which make me feel that I am REALLY behind the ball with my own recovery.

While my recovery on that side is coming along, from my June 7th THR (on my right side)...there is still swelling that is rather visually apparent when you look at the two sides together and of course that impacts flexibility a good bit. Seems a bit odd for 2+months later....I have my next OS checkup on the 8/23 but we will see what he has to say.

Sorry to see that you are still several weeks out from getting your other hip done! I guess one way to look at it is...the more painful it is before ...the more Amazing it will feel after! Hang in there!!
 
Wow, @Qtwookie we are nearly double twins! I too am not 100% confident about second one in 3 mos, even though I see many have done sooner, as soon as two weeks! And then there are the bilaterals...in a category of their own! But as the president of the Overly Cautious Club I get a few twinges of conscience putting the extra burden on the already replaced hip to have her healing somewhat curtailed while new evil twin hip steps up to the plate. But...but... The pain has gotten SO bad on evil twin, so fast, that nothing would have me delay. 39 days. And for you a week later, so 46 days? How is your other hip doing? Your Unoperated one I mean? My left side swelling is about 99% gone I'd say and stiffness intermittent. Very pleased overall with the left hip/ new nice hip. Need a skateboard for the right leg.. Will not walk. On strike until sept 20.

And argh ...those Tall Tales from the THR fairytale book drive me mad too! Got another one today. So weary of hearing how a friend of a friend of a friend is scuba diving and tiling the bathroom and wrestling with tigers ... Ad infinitum..."- at only one month!!" Implied underneath it all is --- SO WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?! I find those tale tellers passive agressive at worst or clueless at best! They would not understand the OCC minimal manipulation philosophy!

Let me know how you do going forward and we can compare notes in late September. Be icing partners!! :cheers:​
 
I actually had somewhat of an "outing" yesterday, without overdoing anything of course. Exercising the maximum caution principals, of course.

A friend brought me to a nearby park where there is a small duck pond with turtles and all varieties of water fowl. We walked (oh so slowly) to a bench to sit and watch the ducks as they waddled into the water.... and, then ....waittaminute! That duck is walking exactly like I do!! Is he mocking me?! Then as in choreography, they all did it in unison-- that walk we hippies know so well. A gaggle of ducks and geese and winged things waddling flagrantly right in front of me, and all the people were cooing about how cute they were.
(note to self: no one coos about how cute I am when I waddle, revise waddle technique)

The turtles were less obvious, swimming in small packs under the water, heads bobbing, they seemed grateful that they weren't living in Florida. Then they lined up on massive low hanging tree branches to sun. Generously, they lined up in order of size, biggest to smallest, making lovely symmetrical Instagram photos for the passers by.

Nothing like large doses of nature to get you back on track though. I defy anyone to feel depressed after going through my park! It's really glorious there and I'm so lucky to have it so close.

After critter gazing, (which is btw an officially OCC-approved activity) we took a gentle stroll in the park. Very gentle, slow, with cane, not far. Towering pine trees and the sounds of nature everywhere. It was euphoric!! Then back home for salads outside on the deck
(note: salads were not homemade but ordered from Sweetgreens, thereby not incurring any labor on my part beyond clean up) An array of Netflix series before bed.

All in all, a successful day for an OCC charter member, with zero possibility for overdoing! :)
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom