THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

Lesson learned: For me, absolutely no therapy involving manipulation of my new hip. Today the therapist came around 10:30 and we finished off the gentle exercise session with him doing some manual manipulation of my leg. It was very gentle….only barely uncomfortable and actually felt good like it was loosening up the joint. All was fine throughout the day and pain was minimal.

But as the day turned into evening, I was noticing some discomfort. It wasn’t even what you’d typically think of as pain, but rather a kind of nervous feeling in my leg and body. I was taking my pain meds on my schedule, but did skip one of the Extra Strength Tylenols that I take midway between Tramadol doses every 6 hours. I went to bed about 11pm after having a Tramadol and Tylenol and all was fine until about 2am. My legs got very restless and I couldn’t get comfortable in bed no matter what I did. I still didn’t make the connection with the therapy and figure out that I had growing pain levels. I took my Tylenol around 3am and was up playing some games waiting for it to help. But it didn’t. For the next hour or so, the overall body discomfort continued to increase and that was when I finally realized I had actual pain in my hip area.

I had been using the geko device earlier for swelling for two days and it worked wonders. So I put on another geko and was finally able to take another Tramadol at 5am. The geko immediately helped with the throbbing pain, the Tramadol kicked in, and now I’m finally starting to see my legs stop all the jumping and discomfort.

The movements the therapist did were so small and gentle, I’m still surprised it could have this type of impact on me. But I’m sure that was at the bottom of what I’m experiencing tonight. So hopefully I’ll now be able to go to sleep for a while. This confirms for me that I’m going to cancel the rest of the home therapy sessions, just work on the exercises the surgeon gave me, and pick up therapy again for gait and strength work once my 6 weeks is past.

I’m certainly learning a lot about hip replacements first hand. There is nothing like a personal and up-close experience to help a person learn what works and what doesn’t. My experience may not be what everyone would have, but it does indicate why it’s important to pay attention to the messages your body sends you in recovery.
 
I'm sorry, Jamie :console2:That sounds miserable. I hope you're snoozing as I type, feel refreshed when you wake and have a better day today. It sounds like your plan to step away from the PT for awhile is a good idea.

I don't know if you've been baking in the heat as we were here. Yesterday was unbearably hot and humid. Glorious weather blew in overnight pushing the stagnant air out. Its like a lovely Fall day. Windows open for first time in awhile. I hope you're able to enjoy some time sitting outdoors in your beautiful back yard over the long holiday weekend.
Take care!
 
It’s been mostly mild here with highs in the 80’s. I haven’t been outside in a couple of days, though.

The combination of geko and Tramadol worked and I was able to sleep from about 5am until 1pm, only getting up to go to the bathroom. Jo called around noon when I was just going back to bed, so we had a nice chat too. Things are definitely looking up. My leg feels much better and I’m hopeful all will be back to “normal” by tomorrow.
 
I'm so glad that, overall, you're doing so well. Yes, there have been a few bumps, but you've managed them nicely, and things are going well. You not only know what you need, you're listening to your body, and giving it what it needs to heal. Surgery and recovery are never fun, but you're such a pro that you're doing as well as you possibly can be. Take care and keep up the good work!
 
I love checking my recovery thread because you all are so wonderfully supportive of my ups and downs with this recovery. You know, it's funny, but I've been a knee and shoulder patient for so long that I actually feel strange when I click on the Hip Recovery forum! Somehow it doesn't feel like "me" that's had the surgery. Hopefully the fact that I have a hip implant will hit home when I see my x-rays this coming Tuesday.
 
Your listening to your body, that's the important lesson to learn. You can't rush healing, although we all wish we could! Recovery and healing are tiring - keep listening to your body and resting.
 
I slept today until the early afternoon and didn't do much all day. I was diligent on my pain meds schedule too plus using the geko. It all helped and as I get ready to go to bed here soon, I think I'll be able to sleep. My leg isn't jumping all over the place like last night and the overall pain is much less. It's amazing what just a little overdoing it can cause.

But I did accomplish a small milestone today. I'm now able to lift my leg into and out of bed without the leg lifter. Ta da! :yahoo:
 
Sounds like you are doing really well Jamie! Not sure why that therapist felt they needed to do all that movement so early out. Post both my THRs the first time the hip was manipulated like that was at my 6 weeks followup with the surgeon. More proof hips just don't need all that PT.
 
Congrats on getting yourself out of bed on your own! Small achievements in this recovery are exciting!
Hang in there, I'm still learning what I should or shouldn't be doing, or rather what I can and can't seem to get done is more like it. I have no more precautions but still am so aware of the hip.
Get plenty of rest for right now and binge watch a TV show or two.
Stay well.
 
Hi @Jamie
The first month can definitely be a rough patch....a somewhat confusing time of trial and error...
Often, I think it is more confusing because of the different advice from the surgeon, on-line literature, PTs...and fellow Bonesmarties.
You know the mantra well, but listening to your body will serve you well.
I was one of the ones who left PT behind for the first two months due to the unnecessary repercussions which only seem to stall my early recovery.
Any strength or tone concerns can be addressed later if needed.

Hope your Sunday is restful and things keep getting easier.:friends:
 
Two Weeks already tomorrow! Boy, time sure flies when we're having fun. :egypdance:
Hope this Labor Day is a good one. No laboring for you though :wink: Take er easy!
 
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
Hope your day is a good one! :)
 
Saw my surgeon today and everything was great. I no longer need a bandage and plan to begin using Active Antimicrobial Hydrogel to help the scar have a better appearance as it heals.

I no longer have to wear the TED hose because I'm up and walking a lot. He wants me to continue the walker for another 2 weeks to take some of the weight off the new joint and allow for the best possible bone growth into the prosthesis. Then I can switch to a cane.

He was fine with me discontinuing therapy and said just to do the simple stretching exercises in his handout. He stressed what we advise here with hip replacements - the best therapy is walking and more walking. (Not too much too soon, of course, but no need for fancy exercises with a new hip)

He did tell me something I didn't know. My whole life, I thought I had large bones because the bones in my wrist are larger than most women. On the contrary, he said I have very small bones and he had to use one of the smallest stems available in the replacement. He also mentioned that my bone strength was good, which I kind of knew from previous bone scans. So....now I can no longer blame any excess weight on "big bones"..... Maybe they are heavier because they are dense .... :rotfl:
 
Lots of good stuff and progress! Receiving permission to ditch those TED's is a reason for celebration alone.
Soon you'll be setting aside the walker, then losing the cane and loving life with your new hip. :happydance:
 
:wave:Aww @Jamie Its so good to read how you are coming along, and interesting to learn from you how the extra gadgets are helping.

Is the Geko readily available in the US ? unfortunately here its is unheard of and I've not heard of it being offered by any physiotherapists or recommended by the surgeons.

So good that Toodie has settled in well at the boarders, its always a worry as they are such a valuable part of our families so knowing that she is fine is a great relief, as Layla said, she will most likely give you the cold shoulder a few days after her warm welcome :heehee: mine always did, they were super lovely immediately and then the snootiness came haha.

I wish you continued success and a slow & gentle recovery :roseshwr: so that in 15 weeks time you will strong fit and healthy as it will be Christmas :banana-santa::santa-dance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like everything is progressing very well for you Jamie! Did you see your x-ray?
 
You know, Danny didn't do an x-ray this visit. I go back at 6 weeks out and I'm sure he will then. I think the purpose of this visit was to view the incision to ensure it was healing properly and give me a little release from some of the restrictions. I am looking forward to seeing my "real" hip at some point, though. I think it will be more earth-shattering than my knees or shoulder for some strange reason.

@Sara61 ... the geko is available in the UK and I believe also in some areas of Europe. It is now available in the US, but it's not currently covered by insurance and an unknown product to most surgeons out there. The parent company, FirstKind, is just now submitting to get approval for it to be covered under Medicare. Once that happens, the other private ensurers will most likely follow suit and it will become more widespread. I talked with Mark today and he indicated they expect it to be another 3 years before that happens and the company gets a good-sized sales force in place in this country to promote and educate on its benefits.

Since using the geko on my hip, I'm becoming a real fan. For me, it's a bit difficult to get positioned in the correct place....something Mark and I were discussing today. But I've found I still benefit from the On Pulse technology even if it's slightly off. So far, I've discovered that pain or restless legs are almost instantly relieved once the pulsing starts. Sometimes this can come with no additional drugs taken for pain - a real bonus. The device stimulates the common peroneal nerve in your leg and simulates walking up to about 60% of the actual activity. This in turn increases blood flow, which seems to have a lot of positive effects on your overall body's response to post-op pain and trauma. It makes sense, because increased circulation will bring more oxygen to the whole body and not just just the area that's being "pulsed." It's quite a fascinating technology and there is nothing else out there on the market like it.

Late on Tuesday I developed a constipation problem from the Tramadol even though I'm taking 2 Colace capsules a day and drinking 10-12 glasses of water plus eating prunes and other fiber fruits and vegetables. It was starting to really hurt, so I stopped taking the Tramadol completely after my 7am Tuesday dose and haven't had any since (almost 24 hours). I've had tons of water, hot tea, and some GatorAid. Unfortunately some of my other medications tend to make me dehydrated, so this is sometimes an issue with me when taking pain medications. I'm hoping to get it resolved soon, as obviously prolonged constipation is not a good thing. It's too bad this happened. Things had actually been "moving along" just fine in the hospital and when I first came home. It just came on rather suddenly today.
 
Late on Tuesday I developed a constipation problem
What about coffee? I know that works for many. Also, consider a fruit smoothie made with Yogurt and a variety of fruit if you have it on hand, like Berries, Pineapple, Peaches for the fiber.
I'm sorry, it sounds miserable, Jamie. I hope you find relief soon.
 
Jamie, if you have the ingredients you can try a Brown Bomb

1 cup of prune juice
1 cup of coffee ( or Sprite, 7 Up, ginger ale)
2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia

Mix, drink warm. Don't drink it all at once, maybe a third to half and save the rest for later to keep things moving.

It sounds nasty but does the job.

It was the only thing that worked for me...fast results after 10 days :groan:of being clogged up

Good luck!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom