Guest viewing is limited

THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

@danelady .... so sorry to hear you dislocated but glad you're on the mend.

Today I was able to use the cane for the first time and it worked pretty well. Unfortunately, since it's my right hip, I must use the cane in my left hand. It's so shaky! But by evening I noticed I'm getting better with it. The therapist was here today and gave me a bunch of more challenging exercises. The goal is to keep my muscles engaged in ways that just walking will not until I get strong again. But I noticed my step count increased dramatically today because of not having to use a walker. This is good.

I still experience some groin pain now and then and every once in a while something in my butt gives me a twinge. It's obviously soft tissue problems and very normal. It's not enough even to take a Tylenol. But it's there and, of course, your mind wanders to think....is this okay? My BoneSmart brain knows it is, but those "patient" brain cells act just like everyone does and wonders if all is really okay. :heehee:
 
I have been on the Noom food program since last March and was doing pretty well. I've changed a whole bunch of habits and become more mindful about my food choices (there are no "bad" foods in Noom). Right before surgery I had lost a little over 20 pounds. Of course surgery sent all that out the window. They pump you full of fluids, so my weight was way up when I got home. Then when I got really dehydrated, it dropped way down. Now that my body seems to be pretty much back to normal again, the weight has stabilized right about where it was before surgery....maybe a pound or so less. So, I'm hoping to get back on my slow, steady weight loss again. I think being able to increase my step count each day will help a lot.

Tomorrow I plan to walk down the deck steps and attempt to water my flowers and garden. One of the neighbor teens has been doing it for me, but I'm ready to get back out in the yard to do things again. This will be a good start. It was almost 100 degrees here today, but thankfully this heat will be gone by tomorrow and we'll begin proper Fall weather with highs in the 80's. Even though I got my garden in very late this year, it's giving me some wonderful produce. It's fun to have a garden again. When I redesigned the back yard last year, I put in a 10x10 space for raised beds and pots. It's working really well and I can't wait until next year when I can plant on time. This year I was still putting the beds together and hauling dirt and rock to fill them when I should have been planting.

I did notice that I tired very quickly today on the cane. It's more work than the walker and the therapist told me to expect that. She was right. I had to switch back to the walker for a while this afternoon as I could feel that I was a bit shaky on the cane. No sweat. I'm just thrilled to be able to finally walk like a regular person again. I do find that I'm not very trusting of my new hip and that leg when I walk. I'm having to work on the "heel-roll to toe" gait and keeping my right foot pointed straight ahead instead of out to the side. That's going to be a difficult habit to break!
 
So good to hear that you are recovering so well @Jamie !, and a month has gone by quickly indeed! I do envy you having a garden, I have a fantastic sea view but that is no comparison to having one's own garden I think. The Noom meal program does sound interesting, if I do not lose my 7 lbs soon I will need to consider it...:)
 
I highly recommend Noom. It's psychology based and not a "diet." I've never seen anything else like it and it has truly been the approach I needed all these years. I'm learning the "why" behind my eating habits which then enables me to make changes. There are no food restrictions or "bad" or "good" foods. The app is actually fun with short daily lessons to keep your brain focused. And you can record what you eat, your weight, water intake, and steps in the app so it's all in one place. You do have to pay for the app, but for me it's been well worth it so far.
 
I can't use my cane in my left hand at all. I tried, PT tried to help me switch, but it was to no avail. So, keep working on it-since you can already manage, even if a bit shaky, I'm sure you'll soon be a pro at it! I'm glad you're doing so well-enjoy those flowers and your garden.
 
@Jamie Congratulations on losing the 20+lbs, that's quite an accomplishment!
 
Last edited:
:wave: @Jamie
It took me a bit to "trust" my new hips so I can certainly relate...
When I began doing solo cruising along countertops and sofa... I was really surprised to discover my hip was actually strong and stable and it was my poor quads that were weak and sore.
Glad to hear you are getting stronger by the day.
Sure will be glad when this heat settles out as it has made for a tough summer working outdoors so much.
Happy Wednesday:flwrysmile:
 
Today I was able to use the cane all day when moving about. I was even able to go down the deck steps to the garden and harvest some produce. But it was a VERY slow process as I do move very carefully when not walking on a long flat surface. The garden is rock and I wanted to be sure I didn't stumble. Plus, the garden plants are so big now, it's like a jungle in there! But I did get a bag full of okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and jalapeno peppers. Eggplant Parmesan coming up soon!

The Home Health nurse came today and pronounced me ready for discharge. I will be able to have the Home Health therapist come for the two weeks while I still can't drive. I just won't see the nurse again unless something new comes up. Home Health is such a wonderful support program.

The hip is feeling good, but I do have a ways to go to get my leg strength back.
 
Since you were 50% weight bearing for a month I imagine there is some weakness from lack of use. Sounds like you are doing really well transitioning so quickly to the cane!
 
Jamie,
Sounds like you are moving right along, it's wise to take your time outside on the uneven surfaces, I still am super cautious when I go out to fill my bird feeders in AM. My backyard is somewhat hilly/slope terrain and one stumble can undo a lot of the healing that's been done.
David planted a raised garden late May, everything was growing great but two woodchucks found the garden and chomped it all down. We had chicken wire around it but there's no stopping these animals once their eyes and stomachs are set on the garden, even ate the flowers out of the flower pots on front steps. The flowers did grow back.
Congrats on the weight loss, I gained about 8 lbs. after my surgery because of being stuck home and just over eating out of boredom. It's started to come off now and almost back to pre-surgery weight. Walking a lot and eating less, busier days!
Stay well.
 
Wow! You're doing so well, Jamie.
Happy One Month Anniversary (a day early :wink:) Great milestone for most.
It's nice to read of the progress you're making. I don't know how I feel about a behaving, Toodie, though. No fun for us, I'll miss the mischief. :heehee:
 
Today I attended dinner theater with 3 friends. It was my first outing with the new hip and it was a challenge. But all went okay. Obviously I didn't drive and luckily the vehicle was an SUV so not too tough to get into the front seat. One of my friends "mother henned" me the whole time, which was very sweet. Another kept telling me to slow down when walking. They are the best. My season tickets are all the way down front, so I had lots of stairs to go down to the table and back up when I needed to use the restroom at intermission. A pretty good workout, but doable. I had planned to go back up the steps to the buffet area to fill my plate, but changed plans and let the theater do that for me. It's a great service for customers where they bring you a paper menu of the buffet items, you circle what you want, and they deliver a plate loaded with goodies to your table. It was worth it as it helped keep me from getting too tired. The show was great, dinner was wonderful, and I'm home now and tired. But it let me know I'm definitely getting stronger. I have no problem going up or down stairs with the cane. I just am taking them one at a time right now and probably will for a couple more weeks at least.

It was the first time I left my pup since she has been back home and she did very well for the 4 1/2 hours I was gone. Tomorrow I plan to do pretty much nothing but take it easy and sleep late.

I debated about taking a Tylenol before going out, but decided not to so I could see what my pain levels were for an outing like this. They were (and are) pretty much non existent. I'm really happy about that! With my hip replacement, my back problems have totally disappeared. I used to take Tylenol for back pain fairly frequently and sleep with a heating pad every night. I may take a Tylenol now and then, but I haven't needed the heating pad in a month. I can't believe it! I'm so thankful every single day for my new hip.
 
Dinner theater...how fun! I did that once with hubs, but he didn't care for it.
Toodie must be behaving so she doesn't have to go back to the boarder. :puppysmooze:
Love that you're loving your new hip! :)
@Jamie
 
I spoke too soon about things going well with my hip and all that activity yesterday. I felt pretty good when I got home, but stayed up late and my body was so very tired and achy...the hip too. When I looked at my step count, it was almost 6000 steps for the day! Yikes, no wonder I was ragged out. I took a Tylenol at bedtime (2am) and that did the trick....along with sleeping until 11:00. I took things much easier today, but still am a little tired tonight.

I'm getting much better with stability on my cane and my left arm doesn't wiggle like when I first started with it. Maybe that is helping arm strength. I do feel stronger on my feet, so I'm hoping that will continue to improve. I was surprised by a text this morning from some friends in Texas who flew into Kansas City today and will stop by for a bit Saturday on their way to Sedalia. I tried to do a little cleanup in the house, but basically they're going to have to take it as it is. No mopping floors or vacuuming at this stage for me. It will be great to have some company. These things are starting to convince me there is "normal" in my future.
 
Yes, it never hurts until we stop.
Finding the boundaries these early days can be tricky but following a lot of activity with good old chill time usually pulls us out of a close call with the ODIC.:ice:
No mopping floors or vacuuming at this stage for me.
Good choice.
Hope your weekend is sweet, Jamie.
 
I tried to do a little cleanup in the house, but basically they're going to have to take it as it is
Direct them to that paradise you created in the back yard. That's if the weather cooperates. Fall arrived here about three days ago. Its actually a little chilly! Not complaining though, I love Autumn.
Happy Saturday...enjoy your company today!
 
I'm sure they aren't coming to look at your floors or how your house looks! They are coming to visit and keep you company. I find lively conversation to really pass the time and you kind of forget about what's going on with your body.
Had some former employees/friends over when they got out of work for pizza and to catch up, some I haven't seen since Covid began 2 years ago, what a fun night. They left at 10:30, way past my bedtime! LOL!
Enjoy your company!!:)
 
Thanks! I did enjoy the visit. It was wonderful to catch up and I was able to give them the "this is the house "before" all the renovation" tour inside. The weather here is gorgeous, but we opted to sit at the dining room table to talk. The Wild Dog of the Plains was outside and, since they really aren't pet people, we avoided having to deal with her jumping and wanting attention.

Things are going pretty well still. I'm only taking a Tylenol now and then when I have a little achy feeling at bedtime. It does help me sleep better. Another week and a half and I think I'll be able to ditch that pillow between my knees. It's awkward and that will help my sleep too.

A couple of times I've found myself starting to take off without my cane. That's always a good sign. But I'm not anywhere ready to walk without it yet. I'm usually pretty good in the morning, but by the end of the day, my body is more tired and I don't walk as well even with the cane.
 
It's so good to hear your recovery is going so well, Jamie! :flwrysmile: So glad Toodie is cooperating too.:doggie:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom