THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

I wonder if I’m doing it correctly and what I’m doing will make the implant grow in better.
Unfortunately you can't do anything to impact this. It takes about 6 weeks to start seeing any growth. That's why follow-up visits to the surgeon are usually 6 weeks post op. Your surgeon is taking an ultra-conservative approach making you NWB. myglas has a good point, is this bothering your shoulders at all?
 
Happy One Week Anniversary, Jamie.
Knockin em down, one by one. The disappearing chili story is funny. I can relate to the brain fog, its was super annoying. I hope you slept well last night and find your new walker attachments helpful.
A wonderful Tuesday to you. :wave:
 
Happy Tuesday, Jamie. It sounds like you are trucking along well. I don't know what's worse, the brain fog or the pain! Both of them stink. It sounds like your therapy went well with no extra pain. Yay! That is always a fear. How is the Devil Dog handling you or is she being boarded? I hope so. I'd be so afraid she'd knock you down.

Please get plenty of rest and just forget about things except for healing yourself! We love you!
 
I had a huge list of tv shows I wanted to watch but found that I couldn't concentrate for at least 2-3 weeks because of the brain fog/pain meds so I just watched random tv like cooking shows and house flipping. After the fog lifted I was able to watch the good shows and concentrate better.

Glad to hear you are trucking along! I'm wondering about Devil Dog too. I think you told us what was happening with her but I forgot. :doggie:
 
Let me know if the tray fits your walker. I’d be interested in one but have hesitated because some reviews said they didn’t fit for their particular walker. But I guess, with Smile Amazon, returns are really easy at my Kohl’s.
The tray came today and it fits fine….even over the handlebar cushions I bought. It does help me get plates, bowls and water into the dining room at one time.

Toodie is being boarded for at least 3 weeks (maybe 4) and she’s doing fine in the kennel. She gets lots of time with other dogs and the human ”pack leader.” I’m not bringing her home until I’m comfortable with the idea of a wild dog being part of my life. I couldn’t deal with her right now.

I’ve done pretty much nothing today. I slept until noon and had a couple of phone calls…that was it. I’ve concentrated on my meds schedule and that is helping with the pain. I believe the lack of doing all but the most gentle of activity has helped too. I did the simple bed exercises when I got up and have been doing short walks in the house every couple of hours. I’m going to try to continue this as I feel like doing more is just not a good idea this early.

My Glad Wrap showed up today, so I can think about a shower soon, I hope. I’m not happy with my PT group as it’s not connected with any other services, like I’ve had before. I would really like a bath aide for the first shower. I spoke with my therapist about it, and he was going to check for me, but I haven’t heard anything. I may need to fire these guys and get a new therapy group that offers all the services. Or, maybe if I just wait a bit longer, I’ll feel okay doing a shower by myself. When I agreed to use the therapists connected with my orthopedic hospital, it never occurred to me they wouldn’t have all services available like those associated with a regular hospital or my GP.
 
Last edited:
I’m not bringing her home until I’m comfortable with the idea of a wild dog being part of my life. I couldn’t deal with her right now.
So what do you think...
When she finally comes home she'll either be really hyper and tear around the house like the wild female she
is, :doggie:or ignore you for leaving her at the kennel and go sulk under a table somewhere. My dog used to ignore me after a trip to the groomer, lol. Their personalities crack me up. We have a spoiled lab now that hubs boards when he goes on his hunting or fishing trips. The dog gets its own room at the kennel with a bed and tv!!! Also partakes in Yappy Hour with the other boarders feasting on home made doggie treats. :heehee:
You're going to miss your furry buddy and her antics soon I'm guessing. :puppysmooze:
 
@Layla, I'm pretty sure she will be my constant pal when she comes back home. She'll no doubt check everything to see what's changed on her old stomping grounds, but I doubt she could ignore me or anyone else. She's just too much of a people person....urrr....people dog.

I do miss her, but the thought doesn't last very long when I look at how I have to operate these days. I sure hope things start to improve dramatically in the coming weeks.

Today I figured out how to get 2 bags of trash and a trash can of recyclables down and out to the curb for trash day tomorrow. I'm so thankful every day for Chris's old stair lift. I have a walker in the basement to use and can pretty easily hook the bags on the chair lift for the trip down. They hook on the walker to get outside and dumped. The plastic trash can was a bit more challenging. It fit on my lap for the chair lift ride down, but I had to slowly scoot it on the floor to get it outside. It all worked but was just very slow. I texted the neighbor teen who is helping me to have her put the bins out at the curb and she has already done that tonight. She's a sweetheart.

Tomorrow I think I may attempt a shower. My hair is driving me nutso. I'll just need to do it early in my day so I'm not too tired. It's like I can do one thing a day and that's pretty much it. Therapy doesn't come again until Friday.
 
It's like I can do one thing a day and that's pretty much it.
It was like this for me as well in the early days. Taking a shower was a major effort - but well worth it. Do you have a friend or neighbour who might just be near in case you have a problem showering?
 
I remember those first showers after surgery. I, too, was sick of my greasy hair and grungy body. Even though I used hospital-type body wash wipes, I never felt clean until I could shower.

One thing a day is plenty for now. You'll add more items to your daily activities as you're able, so take your time and get plenty of rest.
 
Aaah...first showers are the best!
May you smell like the first breath of Spring and feel squeaky clean by days end. Be careful, go s-l-o-w.
 
I decided to wait another day for the blessed shower and continue to just use wipes for now. I have been feeling noticeably better today with all the "taking it easy" and didn't want to mess that up!

My groin pain is much less and I'm just generally moving a little better. Less brain fog too, although I still can't focus too well on multiple things at once. I'm doing my "bed exercises" throughout the day in little bits along with walking around the house. I don't find my shoulders hurting with the extra effort to push down on the walker to get that 50% weight bearing as I'm trying to push through my forearms and not the upper arms which would involve shoulders. So far, so good.

Like many of you have noted in your recovery threads, odd pains pop up and I just ice whatever hurts at the time. I'm still in the process of losing all the water gain from surgery. Only a few more pound to go. Appetite is pretty normal. I had picked a bunch of fresh cucumbers from the garden the day before surgery, so yesterday I had a lovely cucumber and cream cheese sandwich....my idea of heaven!
 
Jamie, I'm not sure what your shower set up is, but I took my walker right into the shower with me since we don't have grab bars installed, but only a door handle to grab onto if I felt a little wobbly, and I was feeling a tad weak so having the walker felt reassuring even though hubs was within ear shot.

A cucumber and cream cheese sandwich sounds like "ladies who lunch" at the club, with fancy hats and matching handbags and pinky in the air as they nibble at their crustless sammies. :heehee:
I hope your evening is a peaceful one.
 
@Layla The shower is a pretty tight rectangle with a free-standing corner seat. It has a long grab bar and removable shower head. It was set up for Chris and worked well when I had my shoulder done. I'll probably leave the walker just outside the door. There are three more grab bars outside the shower too. One is a short upright bar just outside the shower door. There is another to use when you're on the toilet that is decorative and hold toilet paper. The third one is decorative as well and looks like a regular towel bar. When I did the bathroom for Chris, I purposely selected grab bars that didn't look "hospital-y." There really are some great designs out there.

I can't use the toilet paper and towel grab bars right now as they are intended because my puppy likes to remove the toilet paper roll and shred it. And she will pull down any towels or wash cloths I put on the towel bar one. She's still very much a puppy.
 
Oh Jamie, you are taking things cautiously and slowly... good for you! It must be a challenge on two fronts- living alone and also the 50% weight bearing. That is enough for anyone to cope with.
I thought it very interesting that a joint replacement (for you) is just that. Another joint replacement and the hip fits in there along with the others you've experienced. I randomly worry about my knees occasionally so this is somewhat comforting to me.

It sounds like Chris went through a lot in his illnesses.. which means you did too. ((hugs))
 
my puppy likes to remove the toilet paper roll and shred it. And she will pull down any towels or wash cloths I put on the towel bar one.
I would expect nothing less from her :heehee:
Go Toodie!:doggie:
She'll keep you young and fit. :wink:
 
Getting better each day. The therapist noted a marked improvement since Monday and we think he'll no longer be needed after next week.

I can now get in and out of bed without using the leg lifter. No more "log leg." I made a list of questions for my surgeon's appointment this coming Tuesday. Hopefully he'll be pleased with his good work.

I decided not to put the compression stockings back on after my shower and my legs felt so much better this morning that I'm leaving them off. I'm up walking all through the day and night and the stockings were rolling down causing some constriction at my knees and ankles. Swelling in my surgery leg is minimal and there is none in the non-surgical leg. My surgeon is very "old school" about the TED hose and wanted me to wear them 6 weeks with both my knees as well as this hip. I think I only managed a couple of weeks at most with my knees also.
 
The therapist noted a marked improvement since Monday and we think he'll no longer be needed after next week.
Awesome! :yay: It's great to have confirmation that you're making progress. Hopefully the shower wasn't too much of a hassle. I'll bet you're feeling pretty good all fresh and clean. First shower is the best!
 
So good to hear you're making progress and are continuing to take things slowly so you don't end up in the ODIC again. But also living alone sometimes necessitates that you have to do more. Keep up the good work, your fellow Bone Smarties are rooting you on! :yay:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom