Guest viewing is limited

THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

@Jamie :wave:It's wonderful to hear that you are on the hip recovery side! No worries about typos - I'm sure everyone as done those from time to time. Just no "can-can" with the cane yet, OK? :flwrysmile:
 
ODIC!!!

Even though I know better, I felt so good yesterday that I overdid things. Sitting up all day on the computer. Working on my gait issues with walks. No naps. By bedtime, I had pain and had to go back on Torodol, Tramadol and Tylenol. Was finally able to get some sleep around 2am.

I’ve been much smarter today. I took a long nap mid-day and stayed in bed until about 3pm. The Tramadol is making me a little loopy, so my fingers don’t always do what I want them to on the computer and I have some brain fog and trouble concentrating. Geeze…I’m “normal.”

But I still think things are going well and I’m going home tomorrow (Friday). I plan to stay on a schedule of Tramadol and Tylenol when I get home for a while to be sure I keep my pain levels under control. My home therapist should be visiting tomorrow afternoon once I get home to help me get everything in order at home. I’ll start real therapy next week.
 
I know…..I’m so ashamed of myself. But when you feel good, it’s easy to do. Hopefully, I’ll have learned my lesson. :no-fin:
 
I just received word from my case worker that the home therapist won’t come until Monday. That’s actually better, I think, so I’ll have the weekend to rest and just do minimal activity. I was happy with that plan,
 
It is good that you took the day off to overcome your ODIC day!
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Good to sign on and find your updates!!! Yay!
On the recovery side and already in the ODIC corner.. Boo!

You sounds great, though. So happy for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
So that wide, canvas waist belt is called a gait belt? I was sent home soon after my surgeries with that still around my waist. I even slept with it on for 3 days so hubby had something to hold onto as he helped me to the bathroom seemingly every hour, day and night.

After 3 days, he trusted me not to fall and we took it off! At one week, the home PT put it back on me and helped me up my 14 steps for the first time.

You sound wonderful! Continue on with your good recovery!
 
I came home from the hospital yesterday (Friday) midday. It took me a while to get situated at home and I was very tired by the end of the day. I went to bed at 11pm and slept for 22 hours! Of course, I had to get up every two hours for the bathroom, but I did get good rest. I got on the scales and discovered a gain of almost 10 pounds of water weight. It will take a while for all of that to leave my system. Bummer. But I’m settling in and doing okay. The hip itself feels wonderful and I can just tell it’s going to be good.
 
Yes, it’s actually fairly easy to do and remember to do. It’s pretty much just like regular walking with a walker when you have a new knee.
 
Oh good, I'm glad you cleared that up. I couldn't believe 22 hrs.

Glad your home and doing well. Be careful and don't do too much again. Yikes.
 
Getting used to being home has been more of a challenge than I expected. For me, the hip replacement so far isn’t any easier than any of the other joints…..just different. I suspect the difference will be in a shorter time to start feeling better again. But that has yet to come. My main issue is trying to keep to my surgeon’s desire that I only bear 50% weight on my new hip for 4 weeks to allow the best possible chances for good bone growth into the press-fit implant. That wears out my arms and I have to walk much slower.

I definitely have the brain fog after my unexpected general anesthetic. Today, I took out a ziplock bag of chili from the freezer and got a can of tamales from the pantry for lunch. When I got ready to heat the chili, I couldn’t find the bag! My kitchen is not that big and not cluttered, so it was obvious I had put it somewhere. But where??? I looked everywhere! Twice!! And I got so frustrated that I finally sat down on a folding chair I have in the kitchen and visually scoured the counter tops once again. That was when I happened to look down and saw the frozen bag in my “carry” pouch attached to the walker. Geese…..what a dope!

I have a feeling I’m going to experience many of the issues you all have in recovery….maybe multiple times. Knowing things doesn’t always make the transfer in your brain when the recovery is yours.

I’m still very tired and I took an hour nap this afternoon. I plan on trying to go to bed early (for me) as the therapist will be here at 10:20 tomorrow morning. My meds are on a schedule (I’m on Tramadol and Extra Strength Tylenol), but by the time my Tramadol dose comes around, I really need it. When it’s just me, it’s easy to overdo the walking. I’m trying hard to not make multiple trips anywhere in the house. I’ve ordered some more accessories for my walker that should be here by mid-week - a walker tray, pads for the walker handle, and gloves to protect my hands from blisters.
 
Jamie,
The partial weight bearing with walker did a number on my shoulders. Not sure if I was so tense thinking about ruining my surgery or what.
Seemed one body part was getting better and now new pain somewhere else. Once on cane the pain did subside.
I slept a lot first few months and still now I am up all day and busy but by days end I'm very ready for couch or bed.
All my best for a successful recovery.
 
@myglasshalffull …. Nice to hear that someone lived through this before me. It’s getting a little easier. But like you, I wonder if I’m doing it correctly and what I’m doing will make the implant grow in better. I actually would have preferred cement, but my surgeon said that really wasn’t done on someone with good bone structure.

Today was my first home therapy and it was very mild. I told the therapist that I was getting plenty of walking in with all the things I have to do for myself. He agreed. He also agreed with what the surgeon told me about my pain getting worse this week before it starts to get better. It’s hard to believe a whole week has gone by.

I am still glad to be sleeping well. Tomorrow I think I’ll see how long I can snooze since I don’t have to get up for anything. I got some of my walker accessories today that I need to unpack. I’ll probably get this all worked out right about the time I no longer need the walker. :rotfl:
 
Let me know if the tray fits your walker. I’d be interested in one but have hesitated because some reviews said they didn’t fit for their particular walker. But I guess, with Smile Amazon, returns are really easy at my Kohl’s.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom