THR 18 months and still in pain

I am just wondering why my doctor told me I was having the posterior approach and he never told me different after the surgery.

Your doctor can best answer that question @Belladonna
Consider calling him....
Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
 
I'm so sorry you are hurting.
Do you have some pain medication and are you still icing?
I would keep bugging doctor if you really think this is over the norm pain.
I'll be praying things ease soon:praying:
 
My right hip which was replaced October 2016 continues to plague me with pain that goes from mild to severe. I went to see my doctor today. His assistant did not seem to understand how bad things really are. She said, “Dr Webber will be in soon and we will probably give you a cortisone injection. I tried to explain that the pain would return in a few weeks and I did not want a bandaid. I wanted answers. A cortisone shot would only give me temporary relief.
When the doctor came in we talked then he asked me to stand up and show him where my pain was so I did. We talked more then he asked me to walk towards the door. I started to stand up and all of a sudden the pain in my hip, the front and side of my thigh was so intense I could not stand let alone walk. Then I cried and he asked, “It’s that bad?” Finally someone saw the severe of this pain. I welcomed this as Gods gift. The pain was horrible but He recreated my pain so the doctor could see first hand what I was talking about. He said, “we need to see where this is coming from and get you some relief”. I am getting a right hip cortisone injection, I am going to a pain management doctor to evaluate and treat lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh and finally a bone scan.
 
Hang in there. I just posted as well still having similar issues that are very hard to diagnose after original surgery two years ago. It stinks cause I was fine for 10 months. All my components look fine in the X-rays.

I am hoping it's just chronic bursitis and tendonitis issues. The important factor which I totally agree with my OS. He stated never try to have a revision until the problem 100 percent identified. Makes sence as he has seen people get revisions by other surgeons that did not correct the problem.

Very frustrating I know how you feel.

Regards,

Larry
 
I'm so sorry you are hurting.
Do you have some pain medication and are you still icing?
I would keep bugging doctor if you really think this is over the norm pain.
I'll be praying things ease soon:praying:

Not ever touching anything stronger than Tylenol. I just have days where I want to persevere and other days I feel blue
 
I agree, my Pt said just asking for more trouble, more scar tissue. I would only consider that if I dislocated
 
@Belladonna
It is so good your OS had the opportunity to witness the pain you've been dealing with.
Sometimes we try to explain and truely it seems there is a language barrier or something.
I'm praying you get some relief and answers soon
 
I know, that’s why I believe it was God's plan. I stood up with no problems then 10 minutes later I stood up and the pain pulled me back and I just cried. I try to keep my faith but it’s the flesh that is weak. It will be 2 years in May that I have known nothing but severe hip pain. But I will be in the other side some day and be an encouragement for others

Oh and you know I don’t think it’s a language barrier, I think they are baffled, all the tests were ok but clearly I’m not. Then what?
 
Hello,

I was reading over your post again. You had the posterior approach as I had with my hip resurfacing. Can you bare weight on your right leg at all? Does the pain go away when you sleep but come back as soon as you try to stand on it in the morning. My recent MRI was pretty clear, my surgeon is stumped as well.

This might be a question for Josephine how bad can chronic greater trochanter get. I know it can definately weaken your hip, throw off your gait. You also had the left done after the right so I assume you were on crutches and using the right leg as the weight bearing leg till the left was able to function properly. I am just wondering if you just overloaded numerous muscles on the right side, i.e. Psoas, IT band, GT, adductor, glute medius.

So just to recap you have pain on the front and side of your hip? Do you have any glute or hamstring pain?

Thanks,

Larry
 
@larry. Both my hips had arthritis, the left was worse on an X-ray but the right hurt more. The right was done first so the left had the do a lot of work. The left started to hurt but I waited to have it done until the right felt better. I had the left done because I thought it would help the right heal quicker. What happened is the right is working harder as the left tried to heal. I feel better at night but when I get yo in the morning there is pain as soon as my feet hit the floor. I think he is thinks there might be a small fracture of the bone or bone did not heal properly.
Thanks for your concern. When the s is so ver I never want to see another doctor until I die.
 
Hi @Belladonna
Hope all goes well with your guided hip injection.
Curious....when it's advised you have a bone scan, don't you feel whoever is ordering
the scan could best answer your questions? Did you ask your doctor?
 
A bone scan is a bit like an xray but it shows things like softening of bones as well.
 
Hi yes but sometimes they speak doctorese. He said he wants to make sure the bone grew back properly but then others offer their two cents, like they are checking for loosening of the joint, cracks in the femur.

I thought this forum was to get other ideas and reassurance. Sorry I asked
 
Hi @Belladonna
Wondering what is "doctorese"? I guess I'm not understanding?

Naturally you can ask whatever you want on the forum but I'm sure you understand that none of us know why your doctor ordered the bone scan. I guess it was an assumption on my part that you'd question why he was ordering the scan. I know I would have. Then....if I didn't understand the explanation, I would ask him to please help me understand before moving forward.

It looks like you are saying your doctor wants to make sure the bone "grew" back properly?
Wondering who the "others" are that are offering their two cents?

You don't need to apologize for asking for ideas. Looking back through your thread it appears you've received a lot of reassurance here....right?
 
Yes of course. Sometimes I am in so much pain and I feel taken back by the remarks. I am very sensitive and you have never been that short with me. I am smart and I even tape my conversations with my dr. But sometimes I don’t want to hear the answer. It’s been a very long haul for me and I’m sorry if I sounded ungrateful for all the support from all these amazing people. Pain talking at the wrong time.
 
Back
Top Bottom