Guest viewing is limited

THR 18 months and still in pain

I am so sorry to hear of your continued pain on the right side. You mentioned in an earlier post that the sharp pains reach the 10 level. That's extreme girl! What pain meds do they have you on? Sure hope they find answers soon...so frustrating when you are just trying everything.
 
My physical therapist was wondering if I knew they did a gluteal tendon repair as this is something they should have told me because you cannot bear weight on it.
 
Gluteal tendon repair on the right appears intact.
It is not identified which gluteal muscle was referred to. I'll bet anything it was the piriformis. Because if you had a posterior approach, they have to do this to access the joint.
Mild right greater trochanteric bursitis.
Focal thickening of the iliotibial band on the right at the surgical site.
If you have Trochanteric bursitis then of course you will have IT band thickening! Stands to reason.
 
@Belladonna, the operative report that is written by the surgeon after the operation lists everything that was done. Every patient is entitled to a copy and your surgeon should be able to give it to you. If not, you could get your medical records from the hospital regarding the surgery. That will tell you if a gluteal tendon repair was done.

I had that surgery done 18 months ago, and I was on 20 pound weight bearing for 6 weeks post-op. It was not total non-weight bearing.
 
Bumblebee, I only take Tylenol arthritis because the pain medication was causing huge digestive issues.

@Josephine I am seeing my new surgeon who did a great job on my left hip. What should I speak to him about.
 
@Josephine This is what my new surgeon replied when I questioned why I was not told about the gluteal repair.

The abductor repair is what is done in this approach (anterolateral), so it is not really a repair of something that was torn, just putting the incision he made back together, so I would not get worried about that. The limp that you have is pretty common with that approach, but usually goes away after 6 months. I think this is either your IT band, or your iliopsoas bursa.
 
I know my op report mentioned the cutting of the piriformis muscle for access to the joint. This is fairly common and repair is done prior to close. I had no restrictions following surgery.

Hopefully your surgeon provided some suggestions to treat IT band or any bursitis if that is the issue. Personally, I would have asked specifically "is this degree of pain I am having consistent with your diagnosis?"
 
Well, he pretty much confirmed what I said except I guessed the approach incorrectly!

So, if it's something he does routinely then there would be no reason for him to tell you about it.
 
What is that approach. I have only heard of posterior and anterior
 
The surgeon who performed my procedure said he did the posterior approach

@Josephine I am so confused my surgeon told me he was doing a posterior approach. I have never heard of another approach? I read about the one listed and it seems to be outdated and causes problems for patients. I am not sure what to do anymore but sometimes the pain is so bad I could die. Like tonight

@jisephine What is the difference between that anterolateral approach and posterior
 
Hi @Belladonna,
Josephine is in the U.K. Just want you to be aware in case you were expecting a response tonight.
Did you get a chance to read the article I left above regarding the approaches you are questioning?
Check it out. It's very interesting and informative.
Wishing you a relaxing evening!
 
My first hip was right total replacement 10/10/16
My 2nd total hip was left on 12/12/16
I still take ibuprofen daily and if I don’t exercise I am sore and stiff.
I am sorry to hear Beladonna about your pain. I wonder if the thickening at you I.T. Band is source of pain? I sm not a dr., just concerned.
My pain isn’t as bad as yours. I have a lot of arthritis, am 70 pounds overweight and 53 yesrs old. I am constantly trying to lose weight abd sadly have bern gaining and losing the same pounds.
 
Thank you for your concern. I am picking up my surgical notes from my first surgery today and am meeting with the awesome doctor who did my second surgery tomorrow.
 
Good luck! @Belladonna
Hopefully you get to the source of your pain and soon find relief :yes!:
Hope you have a great day :yes: :SUNsmile:
 
I am so confused my surgeon told me he was doing a posterior approach. I have never heard of another approach?
There are heaps of other approaches. I've listed most of them in the article Laya left you a link to.
I read about the one listed and it seems to be outdated and causes problems for patients.
Which one do you mean and where did you read this snippet of information?
 
I am just wondering why my doctor told me I was having the posterior approach and he never told me different after the surgery.
 
I understand that but I'm asking about this comment
I read about the one listed and it seems to be outdated and causes problems for patients.
You just said 'the one listed' and I asked which one you meant? To answer you, I need to know which one you are referring to.

And as I said before, there any many 'approaches' used and in each surgeon's hands, it will differ slightly. Many approaches are actually quite close to one another like this

[Bonesmart.org] 18 months and still in pain


But in fact, there is no real reason to be concerned about this. One incision is pretty much the same as another. It's not like he deliberately lied to you about something.
 
Hope things will get clarified for you today and they work or a plan for some relief.
So sorry you are suffering.
Hugs:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom