Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

Another thing that helps yo to stand up is to make sure that you move forward on the seat, then lean forward slightly, so that much of your body weight is further out than your feet. That way, you are using your own body weight to help you stand.
 
I did it! I rocked back and forth and got a momentum going and then stood up. I'm going to try the hands on thighs thing now.
 
I'm staying surrendered to the luxury of my raised toilet seat with handles. I know when I'm beat ☹
 
You're not beat, you're just postponed a bit! 2017 will be a good year for you!
 
When I moved into my home 13 years ago the previous owner had been handicapped. So the house had permanent high toilets and a walk in shower. Boy did those come I handy and I still love them!
 
You are doing well. It sounds like you have had a good PT who has worked with you to develop your gait post op. If only we all had PTs like that!
 
You are doing well. It sounds like you have had a good PT who has worked with you to develop your gait post op. If only we all had PTs like that!

My PT has been great at customizing to my specific needs and goals, rather than just having me do exercises on a sheet of paper (as past PT for an injury did). I wonder if the difference is that the PT is part of my OS's practice and the therapists work directly with the surgeons in the practice.
 
Tried using the toilet without the medical seat this weekend. It was possible to do, but still very difficult, so I will wait a week before trying again, instead of straining my knees and quads.

Yesterday while walking my dog, I decided to try the hiking trail near my house. Since I just had on sneakers and didn't have hiking poles, I stayed on the lower flatter part of the trail and didn't go up the steep trails. I was able to walk about 1/3 of a mile on the rocky, uneven path before my knees started to feel tired. Good news is that I had way more stability than I have had in years. I returned to the sidewalks and finished walking my dog (almost 2 miles total).

Yesterday was my last holiday off, so back to work 4 days this week, then next week I return for the full week. I go for my 12 week check up on Jan 12. Hopefully the ROM in my right knee increases by then, since it is still right around 90 on most days.
 
Isn't getting back to the things we love to do wonderful! It takes time, but we get there. And we get there with brand new knees! I agree about not stressing your knees getting up off of the potty. It's not worth it, cause you'll pay for it!
 
I can be so clueless some times! One of my issues with trying not to use the arms on the medical toilet seat at home is that my hips and butt are wider than the arms and I have to squish past them when sitting or standing. That has made it challenging to try to go without using the arms because I "catch" on them.

While using the bathroom at work today (ADA compliant stall with grab bars) it occurred to me that I could try getting on an off of that toilet without using the grab bars (it was a habit to grab them, even before surgery, so I never considered that I could just ignore them). DUH!!! :loll:

I could sit and stand without any problem. Since my toilet at home is the same height, I am looking forward to going home tonight and putting the medical seat into storage!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Want2hike I've really appreciated reading about your journey. I plan to have BTKR in March and your post give me a realistic view of how it will be for the first few weeks. I am scheduled to have 6 weeks off, but now see that I might need more. I work in an office, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks again for posting your post-op story.
Carolyn
 
@cjohns75 returning back to work at 6 weeks may be really difficult with a bilateral. It took me a few days past 6 weeks to drive (although my left leg could have done it at 4 weeks). Because the holidays are a slow time for my work, I was able to use vacation and holiday leave so that I didn't work full weeks my first few weeks back. That was very helpful. If I had to work the full 5 days, I would have probably delayed my return to week 10 or 12, instead of working at week 8. I am almost at week 12 and this is my first week working 5 days in a row (was supposed to be 4 but now need to work today too) and I'm recovered enough to be able to do it. I have to go to a different site and have a commute just over an hour, so I will see how my knee holds up with the longer drive.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
 
Arent toilets a source of joy and frustration? We are remodelling a bath and have nothing in it. The upstairs bath has a 14 inch toilet. Its the only toilet. I can go pee outside without doing the stairs but the snow then is not pretty.
Id rather wait to go to the gym as theirs is a 16.5 inch toilet which presents no problems.

My new toilet will be a 16.5 inch toilet and the contractor will have hell to pay if its not in next Wed.

I hated the medical seat. It did not have arms but was too high and the pee went the wrong places..
 
@little red canoe I have a device similar to that for when I go on long hikes or go camping, since I've never managed to "go behind a bush" without splashing my shoes. I actually contemplated using it during my recovery, but decided not to.

I have the tall toilets at home, so the transition from the medical toilet wasn't about needing extra height; I needed the arms, since I didn't have the knee flexibility/leg strength for sitting/standing without depending on upper body strength. I am happy to report that as of today, the medical toilet seat is in storage with my walker!
 
I went for my 12 week visit today. Despite my frustrations with not progressing as quickly as I would like, my OS was thrilled with my progress. He said that at 12 weeks, I was where he expected me to be at 9 months!

  • He said to continue building strength and the gentle stretches to increase my flexibility, as it will continue to increase as the swelling goes away.
  • He said not to worry about my right knee lagging behind - a different recovery rate is normal and there isn't a big enough difference to be alarming to him.
  • He said I could skip my 6 month check up since I've met all the 6 month milestones he looks for and he will see me in October at my 1-year check up (unless I have any problems).
  • He gave me the go-ahead to go back to losing weight (put on hold while healing).
  • He gave me the go-ahead to do any activity that I want (including running, which I don't want to do, and hula hoop walking, which I do want to get back to doing), with the caveat that if it hurts, stop doing it until it doesn't hurt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful report you got! And you're just less than 3 months out! How encouraging it is for those who are coming behind you. There is a light at the end of those dark days! Keep up the good work!
 
Fabulous report! You must be so pleased.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom