Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

I was able to grab a spare chair and elevate/rest my legs on it as needed. I also held a glass of ice water against the side of my knees a few times when they started to ache. About every 75 minutes, I would stand up, walk to the back of the room, then stand for about 5 mins before returning to my seat to keep my legs from cramping.

At the end of the reception, I used my cane during the walk back to my car, since I was tired and it was a bit of a walk to where I was parked.
 
You really made out well for a bad situation. The extra chair was a blessing!
 
I'm glad you manged well at work. But do remember that you've gone back much earlier than is ideal. Your knees are going to remind you of that, with possible increased swelling and aching.

Since your knees are going to get a lot more work than when you were at home, I suggest you stop going to PT now. Let your daily life be your PT.
 
Since your knees are going to get a lot more work than when you were at home, I suggest you stop going to PT now. Let your daily life be your PT.

Thanks for the response and advice. I think I actually sit for longer periods at work than I have during the last 3 weeks at home (housework, yard work, errands) and might actually be less active at work (except I have to stay awake). :)

Today was day 2 of the conference and it went about the same as yesterday. Immediately after, I went to PT and was able to move the bike seat 2 clicks closer (more bend) then I've been at. I elevated and iced briefly at PT, then went grocery shopping, drove home to prep dinner, and am now icing/elevating while dinner cooks in the oven. My knees actually feel good (no aches or pains) and I'm not particularly tired, although I suspect I will zonk out later tonight. I am actually back in the office tomorrow.

I have already scheduled to take Th and F off, so I don't overdo it this week.
 
Day 3 at work....with full commute to the office.
My legs have declared war!

I was doing fine most the day, with aching starting the last 15 minutes or so. The drive home killed me. Rush hour traffic was bad, lots of sudden stops, and 30 minutes became 45 minutes. I was squeezing/massaging my quads the last 20 minutes of my drive because they hurt so bad and my legs/feet started swelling so much my shoes were getting tight!

I got home, kicked off my shoes, grabbed ice bags, and am currently elevating. I thought I might need to take a Percocet, but the ice has killed the pain (legs still swollen). Thankfully my husband is taking care of dinner tonight.
 
Day 3 at work....with full commute to the office.
My legs have declared war!

I was doing fine most the day, with aching starting the last 15 minutes or so. The drive home killed me. Rush hour traffic was bad, lots of sudden stops, and 30 minutes became 45 minutes. I was squeezing/massaging my quads the last 20 minutes of my drive because they hurt so bad and my legs/feet started swelling so much my shoes were getting tight!

I got home, kicked off my shoes, grabbed ice bags, and am currently elevating. I thought I might need to take a Percocet, but the ice has killed the pain (legs still swollen). Thankfully my husband is taking care of dinner tonight.

Ouch that sounds painful, do you need to ice and elevate a bit before you leave work?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
And even during work you can ice. Is there a way you can ice while driving?
 
I iced during work and rested my legs on a chair, but clearly not enough. I want to leave my ice packs at work, so I think I will put a water bottle that is partially full in the freezer, so I can hold the empty part and massage my legs with the icy part while driving. It's a bit easier to carry between work and home.
 
I bought smaller gel packs for the drive to work and home. I could stick them up my pant leg while driving. When I got home from teaching I'd sometimes lay flat at one end of the sofa and put my legs up on the arm of the sofa to get toes above nose. It got the swelling down faster.

Don't plan on doing dinner much for a while. When you go back to work, especially this early it's hard to do much more than work.
 
I often put pillows on the arms of the sofa too! It was the only way to get relief from swelling.
 
Today was a bit better. About half the swelling in my calves/ankles was gone by the time I left for work this morning. All the extra swelling in my knees was gone and I was back to my "normal" knee swelling.

I made sure to keep my legs up more today than yesterday and to ice more too. I also wore my sandals during the drive and from the parking garage to my office instead of driving and walking in my work shoes (1.5" wide sturdy heels). I also froze a partially full water bottle to rub against my legs during the drive.

I think the combo of changes worked. The swelling I had this morning, didn't go down, but at least there was no new swelling, so my legs are only half as swollen as they were when I got home yesterday. I've been icing and elevating since I got home. I don't go back until Monday, so hopefully the next few days of rest should help
 
I'm glad your swelling is under better control. It is hard figuring out exactly how to handle going back to work in the beginning. Take some time to rest up tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely elevate and ice over your long weekend. Hopefully by Saturday the pain of swelling will diminish.
 
I finally start to feel like I am making some progress. This weekend was able to get the pedals all the way around on the second longest setting on my recumbent exercise bike. This was the shortest setting I could do prior to surgery, because I couldn't bend my knees enough at the next shorter setting to get both feet on the pedals.

I adjusted it to the next shorter setting, and could actually get both feet on at the same time. The left leg could go all the way around, but the right leg could only make it 2/3 of the way.

At PT today the left leg was at approx.105 and the right knee was FINALLY over 90 (somewhere between 90-95).
 
You are amazing to be doing so well! Good job!
 
That's great! It looks like taking it easy over the weekend helped!
 
I finished my second week back to work (only worked 3 days this week). After the swelling last week, I decided to wear knee high compression socks (mild, 8-15 mm) to work. My legs felt better and overall have had less swelling than last week. I have been able to run a few errands on the way home and then ice/elevate before and after dinner.

Today was crazy busy at work;I was only able to ice and partially elevate for about 20 minutes. I would sit down for a couple of minutes, then have to be back on my feet to take care of things. To top it off, one of the elevators was being repaired, so I was up and down 2 flights of stairs 4 different times because the wait was too long. This was the first time I tried a full flight of stairs-had only done 1-3 steps at a time. Going down, I had to take one step at a time (both feet) and use the hand railing. I think it was mostly lack of confidence, since I was not in any pain - unlike presurgery. Going up, I could go one foot/one step, provided I held the hand rail.

Despite all the activity today, my legs are only slightly achy, but not really sore and the socks seem to be doing their job keeping the calf/ankle swelling down. I am icing and elevating before dinner. I am super glad that I have the next few days off though.
 
I'm glad the compression socks are helping with swelling and that you have a few days off now. It'll give your body a chance to recover from work. When I went back to my classroom I couldn't do anything in the evenings except, rest, elevate and (when I had energy to get ice), ice. I think going back to wok was what helped me to sleep better because I was exhausted.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom