Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

Congratulations! Long awaite accomplishments are the best! :yay:
 
Fabulous @Want2hike! Been feeling quite despondent lately (yes I know is early). I read through your thread and early on I could have been writing it where I am now. I am feeling uplifted after reading your post that Perhaps I too can get to where you are. Thankyou.
 
@DebM glad I could show you there really is light in a couple of months. I remember how slowly time seemed to pass in the first 2 months and how my mind was ready to be back to normal before the knees were. It's a frustrating process but really is worth it (although I'm super glad to only have to do it once!!)
 
On Monday I had a great hike up a steep mountain trail with lots of scree and rock scrambling at the top. I had no problems getting up, but coming back down the fear I had with my old knees kicked into full gear, and had to face into the mountain and "climb down backwards" at the steepest part. My knees didn't hurt or buckle, but the fear they would was so great that I couldn't get the courage to go down upright/forward. I guess it is back to hiking less steep trails until I learn to trust my new knees on descents.

Here are my before and after X-rays

[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal
[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal
 
What a difference! Enjoy those new knees!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal


What a difference 19 weeks makes!
During week 1, I spent most the day in bed or a chair, covered with ice packs, using my DVT cuffs and CPM machine (tip, if you use a CPM machine and it slides around, put a yoga mat under it).

On Monday I reached week 20 post op. On Sunday, I spent all day being active. I went on a 4 mile hike with a 600' elevation gain, ran errands, and cleaned the house - all pain free and didn't need even a single Tylenol or Advil. I still have some tightness/stiffness and my knees still aren't as flexible as I would like, but I'm building up strength and stamina again and it feels great.

Next weekend I plan to go on a road trip, including several hikes in Death Valley and Red Rock Canyon.
 
Yeah! And life goes on!!! Congratulations. Are your knees Zimmer personas? They look just like mine.
 
Yeah! And life goes on!!! Congratulations. Are your knees Zimmer personas? They look just like mine.

I never asked, but I think they might be, since I had custom jigs/parts made and my OS does trainings for Zimmer.
 
@Want2hike we're yours built from your MRI? Meet mine named Machu and Picchu for the hike that did the old ones in!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal
    IMG_6049.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 220
@Red's Mom - yes, but they built them from a CT scan instead of MRI (insurance only covered CT). My OS gave me the plastic molds that were used.

I visited Machu Picchu (along with a 100 km trek across the Andes) on my last good round of Synvisc.
 
Tomorrow is 5 months after my surgery.
Last Sunday we left for a quick spring break trip....it was the most active I've been able to be in years!

On Sunday, we spent about 6 hours total in the car driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas NV. We broke the drive up with a 2.5 mile hike....part hard ground, part sand, part scrambling between and over huge boulders, part walking in a stream. Got to Vegas then spent 3 hours walking around Freemont Street area.

On Monday, we spent about 6 hours driving to, from, and in Death Valley National Park. We hiked about 6 miles....4 miles over steep rocky trails near Dante's Peak and 2 miles across the sand dunes. We also walked an additional 4 miles across the salt flats, and on various boardwalks and interpretive paths in the park.

On Tuesday, we spent about 4 hours driving to, from, and in Valley of Fire State Park We hiked about 6 miles - on mostly sandy trails, but a few rocky trails with boulder scrambling. We spent 4.5 more hours walking around on the Vegas strip that evening/night

On Wedneday We spent about 6 hours driving home, only stopping for minor sightseeing on the way home, but maybe only 1 hour of walking.

About an hour from home, I swelled up like a giant balloon. My knees... feet... ankles... wrists... hands... fingers.. all are so swollen that bending them is difficult. Since it is in my hands too, I think it is probably due to too much salty restaurant food, and changes to elevation, rather than related to my knees.

The swelling went down some after a good night's sleep, but after working all day today, I'm back to being swollen all over. Guess I better drink lots of water to flush my system.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What you were able to do on your pre-teen knees is outstanding! You are amazing! Nothing is going to keep you down! I bet the salt had a lot to do with the swelling. H2O is very good for you! I hope it brings that swelling down. I know that's uncomfortable.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom