Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

112 would do me in...! We're doing a 3 mile ( 1.5 miles each way) walk Sat with 1500 foot elevation gain. It will be about ten degrees.. Which is for me just great hiking. Keeps the lunch break down in time though!

I find my knee laterally very stable though like you I was apprehensive at first.
 
@little red canoe 10 degrees would do me in! I hope you enjoy your hike. I am hoping to do about a mile with minimal elevation gain (but very uneven/rocky) this weekend.
 
At 10 degrees I actually have to slow down so I don't over heat.. When we hiked two days ago it was 10 and I wound up in the bottom layer only a merino wool turtleneck.. no hat no gloves. Yes pants!
 
You are definitely from the north! If you came down here in our 90* days with 90% humidity, you would be absolutely miserable. I hate summertime! You can't move without sweating. I bet up there in Maine is beautiful this time of year.
 
So glad to have my life back!
I have definitely crossed the line where I am now happy I had the surgery!

Drove 2.5 hours yesterday to go play in the snow. Knee was happy during the drive there and let me climb the hills for the sled. It was a bit uncomfortable - but mostly awkward - to get down to the ground to sit on the sled (round saucer). I basically had to bend over, put my hands on the ground and walk my legs out until I was laying on my stomach, then roll over. I had to do the reverse to get back up.

My knees didn't bend quite enough to sit cross-legged on the saucer, so I went downhill leaning back with my legs in the air (thanks PT for those leg lifts!). After 2 hours of sledding, I was freezing cold and tired. Warmed up with a nice hot chocolate, then hubby drove the 2.5 hours home. I was tired and achy (all over) by the time we got home, and had a nice hot shower. This morning, I feel fine and ready to go.
 
Yippee! Your life is getting back to normal! I know what that feels like. I was able to get up and down on the chairs in the choir loft this morning without pushing up with my hands! We both have something to celebrate!
 
It sounds as if you had a wonderful day in the snow. I'm so pleased everything went well.
 
Yay snow! I just did a little mountain climb.. With crampons up the mountain in back of my house! @wanttohike maybe soon you will change your moniker to willhike.
 
@little red canoe - it sounds like you have made amazing progress. We seem to be progressing at a similar rate, with me trailing behind you by the difference of our surgery dates.

Mountain climbing in the snow is not my idea of fun.... Doing it in 100+ temperatures is. Yesterday I was able to hike just over a mile on a relatively flat (but uneven) trail. I'm slowly working my way back to my former hiking shape.
 
Monday will be 15 weeks post op and am better than pre surgery. Work has gone well and no longer ice and elevate while at work and rarely ice or elevate at home. I usually only need 2 Tylenol tablets when I get home from work to relieve aches, which is much better than the handful of ibuprofen and acetaminophen that I used to take on a daily basis to get through the day. I still need to use the railing on stairs (needed that for 20+ years) but am regaining strength. Today I was able to hike a fairly easy trail (4 miles, rocky terrain, minor elevation changes) in about 2 hours without hiking poles. I am still working on speed and balance, but I'm sure that will come.
[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal
 
Your thread title is changed.
 
Wow, I say you are doing really great! Keep up the good work, and you will be back to "normal" before you know it.
 
Monday was 16 weeks post op.
On Saturday, I was able to tackle the landscaping, which was getting way overgrown. Hubby trimmed all of the trees and bushes, and I hauled all of the branches from the back yard to a pile in the front for bulk trash pick up. No pain. No weakness. We even went for a 4 mile walk around the neighborhood later that evening.
[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal


On Sunday, went for a 7 mile hike with minor elevation changes, then spent several hours shopping later in the day.

Still don't have as much flexion as I would like (about 110 in each knee) but otherwise all is good.
 
I can't believe how well you are doing! What a blessing! Your bend will come. Your knees are still babies. Are you seeing increased swelling after all that walking?
 
I still have a little residual swelling (knees are less defined/puffier now than pre-surgery) that hasn't gone away, but I don't get any additional pain or swelling after activity.
 
You are really exceptional! Most people do swell and have more pain after extra activities. What an inspiration you are!.
 
Woo hoo!
I hiked to the top of the mountain yesterday (approx. 500' elevation gain in 1/2 mile)

When I bought my house 2 years ago, I was thrilled that it was only 3 blocks from the trailhead of a local mountain preserve. (You can see the mountain in the background of my tree trimming pics.) I had hiked there many times, and was thrilled I could walk to the trailhead instead of driving across town. At the time, my knees were again on the decline, and the most recent injections (Synvisc One) were not having much effect.

During the 6 months that it took to renovate the house and then move in, my knees really declined, to the point that I could barely walk down my driveway to get the mail; there was no way I could even think of hiking the mountain, or even the flatter trails that surrounded it.

In the last few weeks, I have been building up my strength on the lower, flatter trails. Yesterday I tried the summit trail. I made it to the top and back down again! I'm a bit achy today, but the kind of achy you get from being out of shape....not the aches/pain you get from arthritis or recovering from surgery.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom