Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

I've been pretty lucky with sleep. I normally only sleep 5-6 hours a night, with one or two power naps (10-15 mins) during the late afternoon/evening. The surgery has only minimally disrupted my sleep, where I wake up about 5 or 6 times per night to reposition. Even when I wake up in the middle of the night to reposition or use the bathroom, I usually fall back asleep within seconds.
 
You are so blessed to have such good sleeping habits! Most of us struggled with being able to sleep. Good going!
 
Yes, best laid plans foiled by a busy day at work. I had a few of those. As you said, luckily you have a few days off and can give the knee a break. Sounds like you're doing well, overall, despite the work challenges. :thumb:
 
It's been 10.5 weeks since my BTKR. For the most part, recovery has gone well. I'm on my third week back to work, and tomorrow is my last day of scheduled PT unless my OS thinks I need something more specific when I go for my 12 week visit Jan 12.

My extension is great (has been since day 1) and my ROM is slowly coming, although not as quickly as I would like. The left now bends enough to comfortably rest on the rungs of a barstool (approx 105-110 degrees), which is more than it did before surgery. The right knee is still lagging behind. I can consistently and comfortably bend it to 90-95, which means it is still difficult to transition between sitting and standing.

I've recently been able to sit/stand without too much awkwardness from sturdy chairs without arms (like heavy dining room chairs). My biggest challenge is still the toilet.

When did you stop needing the handicap toilet in public or the toilet seat with arms at home? I really want to get rid of that thing but can't yet. :-(
 
Hi @Want2hike -
It sounds as if you're doing well.

Back to work already? In that case, I really don't think you need PT any more. getting to and from work, and work itself, is more than enough work for your new knees. Most people give up PT at that stage.
Your ROM Is coming along slowly and there's no need to rush that. It can continue to improve for a year, or more.

Keep on using the handicap aids to get on and off the toilet for as long as you need them. They're just a tool and there are no prizes for giving them up early. In this year-long recovery, ten+ weeks is still very early and you had both knees done, so allow them plenty of time.
 
@want to hike, I am 12 weeks out BTKR too and still have the toilet riser too. Only in my upstairs bathroom, the downstairs has no riser. I use it but still with difficulty. Getting up and down from low seating is still a challenge for me. I am keeping the riser for a few more weeks I think. I still have my recliner and bed elevated as well. Not giving them up too soon either. I try not to make things harder on myself than they need to be.
 
Try rocking back and forth to give your upper body some momentum to rise and lessen the stress on your quads. I havent had a riser in a long time and as the bathroom is ripped out aside from the toilet there isnt anything to grab onto. But I have one good knee..
Don't worry about the timetable..
 
Hi @Want2hike
Back to work already? In that case, I really don't think you need PT any more. getting to and from work, and work itself, is more than enough work for your new knees. Most people give up PT at that stage.

Even though I've been back to work for a couple of weeks, PT has been very helpful for me, which is why I have continued. After 20+ years of having bad knees, I developed walking habits that are no longer needed with my new knees. My PT has been focused on helping me increase (and trust) my balance, lengthen my stride, step up and over things without raising my hip or swinging my leg to the side, walk without a limp, etc. My last session is tomorrow and I plan to get as many tips as I can to avoid falling back into unnecessary habits.

Keep on using the handicap aids to get on and off the toilet for as long as you need them. They're just a tool and there are no prizes for giving them up early.
I do plan to use as long as needed, but was also looking for a ballpark timeframe for getting rid of the medical toilet seat. Having a ballpark range is helpful to me.
 
Try rocking back and forth to give your upper body some momentum to rise and lessen the stress on your quads. I havent had a riser in a long time and as the bathroom is ripped out aside from the toilet there isnt anything to grab onto. But I have one good knee..
Don't worry about the timetable..

Thanks. That's what I initially had to do to get up from armless chairs. I'm now able to slide one hand under my bottom and push up from the seat (keeping the other hand free to steady myself against a table or wall, if needed).

It's not that I am worried about the timetable; more that I think it is ugly and ruins the aesthetics of the bathroom that I put in a lot of work renovating. Plus, it is a pain to clean around. so, while I would love to be rid of it, I don't intend to strain my knees/quads by ditching it before I am ready. I'm just trying to get a ballpark as to whether "the norm" is to be ready at 12 weeks, or 16 weeks, or 6 months, or longer. Having general benchmarks helps me manage expectations.
 
Have enjoyed your postings about returning to work. I'm planning to go back next week. Sounds like your revues going very well.


Laura
LTKR 21 November 2016
 
Even though I've been back to work for a couple of weeks, PT has been very helpful for me, which is why I have continued. After 20+ years of having bad knees, I developed walking habits that are no longer needed with my new knees. My PT has been focused on helping me increase (and trust) my balance, lengthen my stride, step up and over things without raising my hip or swinging my leg to the side, walk without a limp, etc.
If that's what your PT is doing, then it's an excellent idea to continue going. Help with balance and gait is very worthwhile.
 
Yeah for a long holiday weekend! I need it.

Yesterday at work, somebody in my building severely burnt popcorn in a microwave, setting off the fire alarm. As I descended 19 flights of stairs, I was very thankful that I dressed casual and was wearing my sneakers instead of dress shoes! The staircase is narrow enough for me to use both handrails, so I could use my arms to support most of my weight. Using both rails, I could descent reciprocally, until about floor 5, then had to go to both feet on each step. I was super happy that I keep ice packs in the freezer when they finally let us back in the building!

I also had my last PT appointment. I was able to move the bike seat one click closer, and by the end of my warmup, could get all the way around (backwards only) on that setting. I expressed frustration with sit/stand transitions. They helped me with those (I was placing my feet too close together - before surgery, my knees would buckle if my stance was too wide). Once I widened my stance, I found it much easier to sit/stand without using my arms. I'm going to give my legs a break today (thanks to the fire alarm) but this weekend I'm going to see if these tips will allow me to finally get rid of the medical toilet seat.
 
nineteen flights of stairs?!! I suppose you are not allowed to use the elevator. How in the world are wheel chair bound people expected to get out?
 
nineteen flights of stairs?!! I suppose you are not allowed to use the elevator. How in the world are wheel chair bound people expected to get out?

Nope, elevators not allowed in fires.....wouldn't want anyone to be trapped there. If you are in a wheelchair or otherwise can't make it down, you wait on the landing in the stairwell for the fire department to rescue you. I thought about stopping part way down, but decided I would rather be out of the building in case it was a serious fire (we didn't know it was just burnt popcorn until after we were allowed back in the building).
 
I cannot imagine 9 flights of stairs much less 19! I'm going to try the feet wider apart to standup from a seated position. I've been using my arms way too much and my left shoulder is going out. The right one has already had torn tendon repair and now I think the left is torn, too. Getting up without the arms will be a huge improvement on it. Thanks for the tip. Even us 'oldsters' need hints, too!
 
@sistersinhim ... The other thing they told me was to make sure my toes stayed further out than my knees. They put a big bolster at the tips of my toes, and had me sit/stand without bumping it with my knees.
 
I tried it and can't do it yet. :tantrum: My quads just aren't strong enough and the left knee screamed. I'll keep trying.
 
I'm so sorry you had to do 19 flights! At least you didn't have to climb back up the 19! Yep, take it easy today!
 
@sistersinhim i don't know if this is a balance thing, provides more leverage, or is just my approach, but I felt like there was less pressure on my knees when I put my hands on my thighs/quads while I stood up.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom