Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

Woke up this morning and my right knee was less stiff. That feeling of constantly having a tight band around it finally went away. I still don't have as good of ROM as the left, but it was a little closer today.

I went to my OS for my 6 week check up. The X Rays look great and as he felt the knees, he said they felt fine and the incisions were healing fine. He had me extend each leg (both fully extended and slightly hyperextended) and then had me bend them. He didn't measure the ROM but the left was about 90 and the right was probably close to 75. He said I still had quite a bit of swelling in the knees, which would make them difficult to bend. He said to continue icing, elevating, gentle stretching, and then prescribed Celebrex to help with the swelling.
[Bonesmart.org] 15month update....finally normal


He said my right knee was significantly more damaged and misaligned than my left before surgery, so he was not surprised that it was lagging in recovery. He basically told me to be patient....that both will get where I want them.

I'm cleared to drive (when I feel comfortable/safe) and cleared to go back to work in two weeks (desk job, and with previously schedule vacation time and holidays, I will only be working 2-3 days/wk for the first 3 weeks back).

He recommended that I continue PT to help with my gait and I go back again in 6 weeks.
 
Walking with a proper gait will help your extension and ROM. Concentrate on longer strides as your walking with a cane. I found that the best practice for me, along with my PTs analyzing my gait as I walked on the treadmill.
 
I CAN DRIVE!!!!!!!!

Right knee felt a bit more flexible today, so decided to try driving.
It was a bit of a challenge to bend the knee to comfortably get into the driver's seat, but once I was in, no problems.

Drove 10 minutes to one store, did light shopping, another 10 minutes to a different store, more light shopping, then 10 minutes home. Was out about 1 hour total. I feel tired but ok. Currently am icing and elevating.

I am soooooo happy to get some independence back and not have to rely on husband or friends to drive me around.
 
Yippee! I remember the joy I felt when I was able to finally drive again! You might be really sore tonight and tomorrow. If so, it's perfectly normal. I found that a day of rest in between days of activity were really beneficial and helped to keep the pain level down. Doing nothing tomorrow is suggested. Just knowing that you can now drive is such a relief!
 
I agree with Paula, take it easy tomorrow or you'll be in the ODIC club due to activities today.
 
Woke up yesterday and my knees felt fine (well, normal post op feeling). I made a quick trip to the grocery store alone to pick up a few staples and came home and rested.Later in the afternoon, I drove myself to PT. Rush hour traffic was in full swing when I drove home, which was a good test whether I would be able to handle all the starts/stops when I return to work in a week. My right leg handled it without any problems. Came home, rested a bit, husband got takeout pizza, so I didn't have to do any dinner prep. Later in the evening, I still felt good, so I made Rice Krispie treats.

This morning I feel good (normal). It's nice to feel like life is finally returning to normal!
 
Wow! That's a lot of activity for 7 weeks. I'm glad you're not feeling the effects of doing too much. What type of work do you do?
 
I'm in an office management position so mostly desk job and going from one meeting to the next, which means I can put my legs up and ice while I am at work. I occasionally have to give presentations (1-2 hours) or provide workshops (4-8 hours on my feet) but my presentation schedule is light until the end of January, and my team does the bulk of that work.
 
You are way ahead of the activity schedule. Good girl!
 
What I seem to be lacking in knee flexibility, I make up in energy/stamina. Story of my life.
 
A phased return is good, you can take it easy, ice, elevate on the days you're not working.
 
would be very happy to have a recovery like yours when I have mine done in January
 
I walked down steps.... Like a normal person!

In my home, I have a sunken living room that has 2 small steps (6" rise) at the entry. There is a half wall on one side of the steps and no handrail. Since moving into this house 1.5 years ago, I have always used the half wall to steady myself and went down the steps 1 at a time (both feet on same step).

Yesterday I was carrying wrapped Christmas gifts into that room and had my hands full. Without even thinking, I walked down the steps (only 1 foot on each step), set down the gifts, and walked back up the steps normally, without leaning on the wall for support. A few moments later, I realized what I had just done!

I haven't had opportunity to do full height steps yet, but this was very encouraging.
 
What a great big adult step you did. And more are to come!
 
Thought I might have overdone it a bit yesterday, but feeling good today.

I woke up and used my exercise bike for 10 mins to stretch my right knee (only can get it 80% around).
Elevated and iced for about an hour.
Showered and got dressed, then went grocery shopping (out about 40 mins).
Unloaded groceries and tossed ingredients into the crock pot for dinner.
Rested, elevated, and iced for an hour.
Drove 45 mins to specialty store to shop for a gift for hubby. (Out about 2.5 hours).
Got home, rested, elevated, and iced for an hour.
Changed clothes and went to PT.
Finished PT and drove carpool for kids and 2 friends (40 mins driving)
Came home, iced and elevated for an hour.
Had dinner at dining table
Iced and elevated until bedtime.

I slept fine last night.
I thought I might be stiff or sore this morning when I woke up, but when I used my exercise bike, I was actually able to get my right leg 95% around (I got it all the way around but had to cheat and lift my hip a bit).

I think I'm ready to return to work next week.
 
That is really good news! You are definitely on the right track.
 
What a day!
Woke up this morning and got on my exercise bike to loosen up my knee and work on flexibility. I was finally able to get the pedals all the way around on this setting without cheating/raising my hip) , but still felt quite a bit of stretch in my right knee. Hopefully in a few days, I will be flexible enough to easily make it all the way around without the stretch.

I went back to work today - 6 hours sitting at a conference, followed by a networking reception. I stayed at the reception an hour (standing) before my body told me it was time to go home. Now I'm at home elevating and icing my knees so I can go back again tomorrow. I feel very tired, but otherwise ok.
 
You are less than two months out from a bilateral and doing remarkable. Would you able to elevate while sitting? I can't imagine sitting that long without elevating.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom