Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR 15 hrs post op bilateral THRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nettie,
Thank you for the encouragement! I did just take one & I hope it calms down a little. Thanks again & I hope you are doing well
 
@jenb I cannot imagine what you are going through but want you to know I am thinking about you and praying you will reach your turning point soon!
 
@jenb I am just joining your thread and I can not imagine having two posterior hip replacements at one time. I have my right hip replaced on new years eve. I have a major accident on 2009 where I broke 24 bones and I have had a ton of ortho surgeries. Still it took me up to 4-1/2 years to find a great Dr to attempt a THR associated with trauma. I understand the pain meds dilemma. I was actually a pretty hard drug addict when I had my accident and my weakness was opiates of any kind. So after my accident I had to become dependent on that which almost killed me in the first place. Anyway I eventually just refused to take them and that drove me to finding a surgeon. My hip replacement took a little over 2 hours because they had to cut through pins and then tap and remove them from my femur. My surgeon actually called me afterwards to tell me I was not healing fast enough because I was not taking enough pain meds to get through the therapy. With that said I listened and I am healing much faster now. My faithful wife is my accountability partner who makes sure I am not overtaking them. Also I have a right knee that only bends about 85 degrees and they told me they wanted to look at it next. I said the same thing they were not coming near me for a long time. Thanks for sharing your journey and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. If you ever need anything just PM me or hit me up on the post.
 
I agree, @jenb , that you should take the pain meds - if they make you sleepy, then sleep. But it will also allow you to be more mobile and progress better. And you will not feel as down about how you were doing - your goal for getting off them should be when your pain is controlled with just acetaminophen and eventually nothing.
 
@jenb , I think if you do a search on the Bilats threads you will indeed see that many are posterior. To do this search, find a recovery thread that has the Bilateral THR title (green lozenge) in front of it. Click that lozenge and all the Bilat threads will be listed.
 
Trying not to take pain meds as they scare me.
I am afraid this strategy is making things worst for you @jenb . To regain your mobility you need the pain controlled. You have just had 2 hips replaced and you should not be in this much pain. Please take your prescribed meds so that you can progress.

Feeling kind of down about my progress right now& I can't find any posterior bilaterals to compare my progress with, which is also discouraging. I wish I knew what I was going through was normal or not. Horrible groin & calf pain in one leg. Very difficult to put any weight on it.
You are feeling down because this pain is wearing you out. Everyone recovers differently - but I can tell you that you are slowing your own recovery by refusing to take the medication that has been prescribed. You will not get addicted to your meds because you are taking them for a reason. Give it a try and take them regularly to stay ahead of the pain. I think you will see a significant improvement.
 
Oh jenb, I think you're doing great! Ditched the walker...crutches now, HUGE step forward! Small steps everyday will get you to the finish line. I wish you better days ahead, truly!
 
Hi @jenb. I think I initially responded to your early posts wishing you well. I see you're looking for another posterior BTHR hippie to compare experiences - and that would be me! You might want to check out my posts - i think I posted pretty regularly thru my recovery.

I'm thinking you had your surgery about 2 months ago. It's not easy post op but in reading your entire thread, with the exception of pain management, we are pretty similar - acute rehab, walker for 5-6 weeks, posterior restrictions etc. I did and still do believe in being very proactive with pain management. I embraced the BoneSmart mantra of ice & elevation but also didn't hesitate to medicate. That might be a big difference in our recoveries. Recovery is a very up & down process and the further into it I got, the more down I became. Mainly because I thought I should be able to do more than I could actually do. It took me a solid 4 months to feel as if I was "back". But it took over a year for me to "forget" my hips.

Please do read my posts & if I can help answer any questions, I will. Take care - it will get better
 
Hi @jenb - I read this written by another member..

Baby steps, toddlers steps, leaps and bounds as long as you are moving forward..... credit to @drahdrah

The only thing I would add, is that this is your journey and this is normal for you and your body - so stick with your progress honey, you are doing fabulous, you just may not feel it that way :)
 
@jenb I agree with Poppet and dtmbf! It took me over 3 months to truly not need any pain medication. You will know when you do not need it any more - you'll forget to take a dose and when you realize you skipped it you will also realize it was not needed! I kept a few Vicodan around after that but ended up throwing them away :) For now though stick to the prescribed schedule. BTHR rehab is a roller coaster - up, down, dips and hills. You really are doing well - it's best NOT to compare yourself to anyone else - just compare you to you. Each of us heals in different ways and at different time schedules.
 
I'm in ER. My surgeon thinks I have either an infection or blood clot on my right side. Ugh !!!!!! Waiting on vascular study & blood work
 
Oh @jenb good luck! I hope everything turns out and if you do have an infection or blood clot well then thank goodness they'll have found it and can treat. I really hope you feel better soon. My heart and good wishes are with you.
 
I sincerely hope you have neither an infection nor a blood clot, but if you do then thank goodness the doctors have found it and can treat it so that healing can begin. Praying for you... Let us know...
 
Awww @jenb It's good that you are in ER and getting treatment for whatever the cause.
I hope you get healing treatment soon.
May God's healing hands touch you and heal you straightaway.
Hugs
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom