Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR 15 hrs post op bilateral THRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jenb just stopping by to say hello and thinking of you. Hope things are well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Is there anyone here that had bilateral THRs with the posterior approach ? Seems everyone has had anterior & I know the recoveries are different.
I'm 4 weeks post-op bilateral (posterior) and would like to talk to someone who also had this same surgery. Thanks
 
I'm hanging in there. Pain seems to have increased in the last few days. Might be because I'm trying to sleep on my side vs. my back. I put a pillow between my legs so I don't break my precautions. I'm now on crutches...ditched the old lady walker. I got outside briefly twice in the past week & that felt good. Lots of snow on the ground here in NJ. My right knee is giving me pain & my pt wants me to get it checked out, but I'm afraid of what they'll tell me. I'm not letting anyone touch me again for at least 5 years! This bilateral posterior surgery was extremely painful & I wouldn't wish it on anyone. No more surgery for me anytime soon.
 
I had pain from trying to lie on my side also - and I had a side that was not operated on! I know back sleeping can be hard but it truly was the most comfortable for my hip. Glad you got out - you guys are getting a lot of snow - we've had a lot this winter but not lately - none has melted though because it keeps going below zero every night!

For now, I'd wait on the knee anyway, I had knee pain on my non-operated leg (which I never did before) after a week or so when I was doing stairs. Its now gone away. I think it was just adjustment and maybe compensating for the weaker leg. It may just pass.
 
People tend not to dwell too much on the approach they've had after the event so while we've had numerous bilats, no way of knowing who had what. Though you're right, those who had anteriors to tend to be more voluble about them!

Can I help at all?

btw, I will allow this thread but usually we prefer One thread for your recovery please?
 
@Josephine, I was just wondering because those who had anterior bilaterals seem to be recovering a lot faster and with much less pain. I want to see how I'm doing in comparison to
Someone who has had the SAME surgery. Is it that rare - posterior bilateral?
 
P.s sorry about the 2nd thread. I was not aware. My bad.
 
S'okay!

That's not what I said. I think a lot of Bilats are posterior but like I said, no-one ever makes much of it.
 
You're the expert, but since I've been reading posts not just in this forum, but others, most bilaterals seem to be anterior & their recovery is faster, less painful & without restrictions. It's like comparing my recovery with someone who only had 1 done - very different.
 
Have you looked at the bilateral threads in the forum? There are 3 pages of threads. One, in particular on anterior versus posterior is quite interesting.
 
most bilaterals seem to be anterior
No that's not so. Only a small proportion are. There are numerous other approaches; lateral, antero-lateral, antero-posterior and posterior. They are figure in the stats. Don't believe all the hype you see on the net! I've actually scrubbed for scores of bilats in numerous hospitals over the years and never done an anterior one.
 
You can delete this thread. I'll ask on another forum. I can only find anterior bilaterals here & the early recoveries are not the same. Thanks anyway.
 
Hi @jenb just popping in to say hi and see how you're doing. Hope the pain is better. Stay warm. Peggy
 
@Madowa,
Hi. I've had a few bad days where the pain has increased a lot. Just not feeling well overall. Trying not to take pain meds as they scare me. Feeling kind of down about my progress right now& I can't find any posterior bilaterals to compare my progress with, which is also discouraging. I wish I knew what I was going through was normal or not. Horrible groin & calf pain in one leg. Very difficult to put any weight on it. I hope you're doing better than I am!!
 
@jenb Sorry to hear that. I totally understand your feelings regarding pain meds....I hate them. I took my last 1/2 pill yesterday, thank god. Regarding finding another member here with a bilateral posterior approach, I want you to know that I even tried to search bonesmart and couldn't find anyone either. I agree with you that it would be nice to at least know that what you're going thru is normal. I was thinking that maybe your surgeons office could hook you up with another similar patient but I guess privacy laws would not allow that..oh well. I had posterior approach and turned the corner at 3 weeks in terms of pain and mobility, so maybe your turning point will be 5 or 6weeks??? Just a thought. In the meantime, try to keep your chin up. You will definitely get through this..all it takes is time. Sending a hug. Peggy
 
Thanks @Madowa. I really appreciate you thinking of me. I'm glad you're off pain meds & progressing well!
 
Hi @jenb, if you have pain, take the pain meds unless they are making you sick or there are too many side effects. You had bilateral THR not long ago. You need pain meds. You're doing AMAZING!!!! Everything you are describing sounds normal. Not to minimize it in any way, because it totally sucks, but every day will bring more healing. It's so hard not to get down. I have struggled with that myself. But many people are pulling for you. Both hips are DONE. Yippee!!!! I did both in two separate surgeries four months apart, and that wasn't easy either, but having them both done at once is so brave. I admire you and wish you the best!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom