Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

This time due to possible allergy the surgeon will be cementing the implant. Is there a difference? Is one way better than the other?
I would hope he is using cement! According to research (NJR UK) cemented knees have far fewer revisions than uncemented.
The closest I can find is 3 inches lower.
3 inches isn't a deal breaker!
 
@Josephine my last wasn’t cemented neither of them. Interesting. Well maybe this time might be successful then.

I’ve ordered the elevation pillow.

Thanks for your replies.
 
Last edited:
Starting to feel sick at the thought of Monday now. Here we go again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@shelli22 ,
Sending postive, mediative thoughts your way for Monday, don't forget to BREATHE :sigh:.

Our recovery guidelines have been updated, here is your copy! You will benefit from reading them again.

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
What changes were made to the recovery guidelines?

Hugs to you, @shelli22 , I would be feeling just like you, facing another surgery! :console2:
 
Thanks @Pumpkin. I’ve read so many of them again and probably will read them many times more.

The thought of going through this again for the third time (not counting the arthroscopies etc) is playing on my nerves. I am not down or upset about it. I’d be more upset if I had to live in pain with no hope of trying to fix the problem. I guess it’s more that I know what I’m in for.

But on the up side, after the initial brain fog stage I have re-enrolled into uni studies and I can do that while recovering as this recovery won’t involve any PT or gym for at least the first 3 or 4 months if not longer.

All my results came back. They did do a 14 day culture which came back negative. So the final test will be the frozen section. If that’s negative then they have ordered the replacement that is apparently the latest for those with suspected allergies. I just spoke to the PA and she has been lovely, followed up all my results for me and has copies for me ready at reception and explained they have everything ready should it be an infection as well.

All going ahead. Admission is 10.30 am Monday.
 
@Jockette thank you. I’m just feeling like - here we go again. At the end of the day though, what would be worse? Living in agony for the rest of my life and probably not returning to work, or going through this again thinking third time lucky and hoping that whatever is wrong with it is covered by the options he has chosen, not that there are any other options. At least the hospital is great, the staff are excellent and even the food isn’t too bad and I know the surgeon is doing everything possible. We have to live in hope. There’s many worse off I guess [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My hospital experience was really good, too, and yes even the food was really good, and I had an appetite to enjoy it! (The appetite was gone a few days later though)

Did you tell your surgeon you’re not doing PT? If so, what was his response?
 
Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. I know exactly what you mean about feeling sick though-take deep breaths and try to think of where you'll be in 3 months, 6 months, etc.
 
Thanks @lovetocookandsew I am trying to focus on the outcome.

The lounge doctor equivalent arrived today. Just in time. It looks huge but I’m not ready for it. I did the 'ignore I don’t want to know' trick. Shoved it with the walker, walking stick and other things I have prepared for this time around. I was going to get the ice machine but decided against it. I did fine with gel packs last two times. It should be fine I think. The pillows bugged me last time. Whenever I moved they did. I hope this works better.

Started packing stuff but keep wandering off. I don’t want to. Denial I think lol.
 
@Jockette I had a long discussion about PT. He decided I wasn’t going to do it. I do end up with adhesions after a few months. I have every time. He said he doesn’t want me doing anything to risk that or swelling. He wants me to do the opposite to what we did the first two times. In other words he wants me to do nothing and stay off it as much as practicable initially. So I won’t have the issues with PT. Not that I would do it if he said to as I know I did to much the first time around. It causes a vicious cycle of pain and swelling that only results in chronic pain with my body. Luckily I won’t have to fight him because he agrees
 
In other words he wants me to do nothing
Not doing exercises/PT is NOT doing nothing! You will still be engaging in all the usual ADLs, (activities of daily living) which is what we recommend on here anyway.
 
That’s great you don’t have to fight your doctor over PT! If I ever have to do this again I will not be going to PT.
 
You will do great without your PT. You will be in less pain and have a quicker recovery!
 
You have had quite a journey. I empathize with you, as I also have metal allergies. The OS told me that testing is inconclusive and not worth exploring. He does not believe it is a contributing factor to my ongoing pain and swelling bilaterally. I think I will ask about having the test done, even if I have to pay for it. My arthroscopic surgery is scheduled for February 13. I must admit that your experience has made me apprehensive. Best of luck to you for a successful surgery and recovery.
 
Not doing exercises/PT is NOT doing nothing! You will still be engaging in all the usual ADLs, (activities of daily living) which is what we recommend on here anyway.

@Josephine I’m well aware I will be engaging in ADLs (as a nurse/midwife). He wants me to do nothing in the way of PT and exercise ie gym. Semantics. The question was regarding PT and my approach to telling the surgeon. I merely pointed out that this time he was in favour of no exercise or PT. Obviously he expects me to engage in usual ADLs. He is also aware that I live on my own so that’s really a given. In addition I have never said that I disagree with what you recommend and I followed your Bonesmart mantra the last revision.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@GratefulNana don’t let my experience influence your feelings regarding your knee. I not only have an allergy to metals, I also have a body that doesn’t do well with injury/invasive procedures. It swells and forms adhesions/ scar tissue and keeps doing it.

The surgeon is almost 100% certain that I will need to have the adhesions from the next surgery removed down the track as well, just based on my body’s response to each surgery. All we can do is attempt to avoid or decrease exacerbating the swelling and formation of adhesions by following the Bonesmart way of no PT or formal exercise other than ADLs and gentle stretches.

Thankfully he agrees that all these factors contribute to pain and swelling in addition to the possibility of metal allergy and/ infection.

Thank you for you positive thoughts. In my opinion, if you believe that your allergy is a contributing factor I guess having the test done will confirm this then you can decide whether to get a second opinion or approach your current surgeon with the results.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Why tell him at all? :shrug:
I never told mine that I wasn't taking PT and he didn't ask. He just wanted to see what I could do and he was happy with that! At my 4 week check up, he did give me a presciption for PT and said I could go anywhere I wanted to. I just threw it away. At my 6 month checkup, he still didn't ask and I didn't tell. He was happy again with my progress!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom