Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

The alpha test came back negative for synovial fluid infection today as well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wonderful news that you don’t have an infection! The pain you describe is bad enough, of course, and now you have a surgery date to look forward to. You can begin to focus on something good coming your way.
 
Your surgery has been scheduled and you have no infection. What great news! The end is coming to that awful pain! I'm glad you're here sharing it with your Bonesmart friends!
 
Thanks @SusieShoes and @sistersinhim. You’re so right. This nearly five year journey is coming to its finale hopefully. I’m just glad I have a surgeon who will not stop investigating until a solution is found and has never doubted me. I’m also going to have an oxinium/ titanium new replacement to cover the possibility of allergy. He has ordered temporary hardware in the event an infection is determined once the old hardware has been removed. I guess when I wake in recovery I will know whether I have two weeks in hospital on antibiotics and four weeks at home on antibiotics or whether I stay five days if there is no infection.
 
Last edited:
I have started reading your recovery journey but admit to skipping to the ending pages to get a recent update. I’m so very sorry to hear of this news of your knee problems. Hopefully soon you’ll be again on the recovery side and not in such awful pain. Keep us posted...

Prayers and hugs.
 
Wow waiting for the day is tormenting. I keep remembering what the last two surgeries were like and the long road ahead of me again. I’m trying to sort out my house, study for the next year while I’m off work and someone to look after my puppy Ollie and ten year old cavalier Karma as I want them to stay at home rather than go in to a kennel. Waiting for a phone call from the trainers daughter to confirm. Surgery has been approved and the paperwork and pre testing has been done. So it’s just waiting.
 
Last edited:
I had the arthroscopy to rule out scar tissue causing the problem after the fall, or possible impingement. That was horrific. The pain was excruciating and I couldn’t stop crying. Nothing covered the pain and the poor nurse was at a loss I think she was nearly crying (I don’t do crying too tough [emoji23]). So that didn’t help, the pain remained and I kept telling him it was bone pain, constant like the arthritis pain. That’s why we’re now going down the path of possible infection or allergy. Problem is the tests so far have come back negative for infection yet I have a low grade fever and no appetite so he has to go in and do a frozen section to make sure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Haha personal summers [emoji23] I take tablets for that. The benefits outweighs the tiny .01% risk according to latest research. Besides working as a nurse I can’t be sweating over people [emoji23]. Wow you’re old knee is better than your new one. Same as mine. I’m really disappointed. But I don’t want to spend the next 17 years working in agony.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
possible infection or allergy
Have you had the blood allergy test done? I plan on doing that soon. PayPal will pay for it here in the states. There's some reason I'm feeling worse than before the fall. It has not been right since then. I'm wondering if it's working loose, though I don't have many of the symptoms. I saw that was eliminated from your implant. I sure hope you can find some answers on the 5th. Will he be able to tell by your tissues if you have an allergic reaction to the metal?
 
Hope you were able to get that help with the pups. You certainly don’t need that concern with all you’re going through.

Hopefully this surgery will be different. Praying once they get in there, they’ll have an ahh haa moment and know exactly what was causing so much pain. I’m very sorry you’ve experienced such horrible pain.

Prayers the days pass quickly, and your recovery will be amazing. Chin up friend. Keep us posted.
 
Hi @Beckaroo. A dog sitter/ house sitter came over today and she the daughter of my puppy’s dog trainer. She’s lovely so it’s all sorted. Thank you for your kind words and concern. I am really hoping the ahh haa moment will happen. I will be here for a while yet. Thanks for caring. X
 
@sistersinhim no I haven’t had the allergy test done. My surgeon doubts the results and research is on the fence about the accuracy of the results. He thinks that because I have an allergy to jewellery, if he’s going to take this one out he will make sure I won’t react to the one he puts in. He’s not sure whether he will find infection but the symptoms point to either or. Since the arthroscopy a few weeks ago the pain is worse. He thinks he may have triggered something but the only way he’s going to be able to tell if he goes in and looks. As both options will be corrected either way I’m happy to go ahead with it. At least we can rule both out as the cause of pain, which became unbearable after the fall.
 
@sistersinhim I don’t know that he will be able to tell at the time but he will do another test for infection by taking a frozen section and testing it immediately. If there isn’t an infection but the new knee resolves the pain I guess we can conclude that it is an allergy though I don’t understand how a fall can trigger allergy nor an arthroscopy. If there was loosening that may indicate something. I don’t know. He’s a bit at a loss to which is why he’s doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this pain.
 
It sounds like your OS has everything under control! I know you'll be so glad to get that implant out of you and a new one put in. I pray it's not an infection. I know @KarriB had one and had said that the sample might need weeks to grow to be able to see an infection. This might have been the particular kind she had.
 
@ Sistersinhim the frozen section will indicate whether there is an infection. Then they would do a culture to determine what type of bug it is so that the right antibiotics are used.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you, Pumpkin. I couldn't remember the name.
 
I had the blood allergy testing done, the one at the lab in Chicago. Turns out that I’m allergic to almost all metals. After a lot of research my OS used a Smith and Nephew ceramic fermoral component with an all polyethylene tibial component. He could not use the titanium base plate because I’m one of a very few people that’s allergic to titanium. Had I not had the allergy test done, they would have used the same implant that you said your OS is planning on using in your revision, with the titanium base plate. I’m glad that I paid for the test to be done.
 
my OS used a Smith and Nephew ceramic fermoral component with an all polyethylene tibial component.
I think he means this one - it's all we used in the early days!

[Bonesmart.org] 12 months later but can’t find my thread
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom