THR 11 days post-op and doing ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
@drahdrah.... You put the golf ball on the floor and roll it back on forth on the arch as @AlanInAZ says.......I'm hoping it's effective... It certainly hurts doing it! No pain... No gain on this one.... Will try the frozen bottle too.... I just put a pack of frozen peas under my foot.... It's soon painful!!!!! Xxxx
 
Thanks for your feedback @AlanInAZ - Funny you say this may be caused by sleeping on your back. I have been alternating sleeping on my back and stomach for the past 2 weeks, and it's when I started sleeping on my stomach that the pain in my heel started... very strange.

I have already started the stretching and ball rolling under my foot. Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you and it will go away quickly.
 
Sleeping on your stomach may have caused your foot to point the same way mine pointed when sleeping on my back - just guessing. The weight of the blankets tended to make my toes point more inline with my leg rather than pointing towards the ceiling and that contracts the arch muscles/tendons. Sleeping on the stomach might do the same. When I sleep on my side the foot is more relaxed. The splint for PA ensures that the arch is slightly stretched rather than contracted.

[Bonesmart.org] 11 days post-op and doing ok
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 11 days post-op and doing ok
    upload_2014-3-1_11-53-24.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 209
Thanks @AlanInAZ - good point about the sleeping positions. I'll try sleeping on my side tonight and see if that's comfortable enough and if it makes the difference.
 
Things seem to be evolving in a strange way. Yesterday morning seemed a little better on my heel. I did some excercises I say on Youtube before getting out of bed and it really helped with those painful first steps. Then just before going to bed for the night, I started getting more pain in the heel while walking and an added shooting pain up the side of my leg up to the knee. I pulled out the walker (which I haven't needed in weeks) because the pain only occurred when weight bearing on the leg. As well, I have been getting some pain in my shin when doing the ankle pumps.

The extra leg pain is gone this morning, and I am able to walk with the cane.

Any thoughts? Are these new pains in my leg related to the Planters Faciitis, or could it be something completely different? I feel a little discouraged right about now.
 
Have to say @drahdrah that I've had so many different pains since my THR... Heel pain on non operated leg...knee pain on operated leg....that comes and goes...my heel still playing up but only when I'm actually walking outside ie really weight bearing..not when walking around the house. Hope yours eases up for you. Chrissie xxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny - The aches and pains are nothing compared to the pain I was feeling before my surgeries, but I am still considerably less "able bodied" than I was before. I need a cane to walk, stairs are still very difficult. The winter here has been long and isn't letting up, so it's been hard to keep positive lately. One step at a time I keep reminding myself.

For the heel pain, I have been doing what you suggested with the golf ball, and have also been doing some stretches before getting out of bed. It's helped a bit, but the heel is still tender and uncomfortable. I see my OS next Monday, and I will ask him about it.

Thanks for your support.. it's been very helpful !
 
@drahdrah I've had plantar fascitis, too. It can be absolutely brutal! My podiatrist told me to always wear good tennis shoes with "superfeet green" inserts. It may not be super fashionable, but ever since I started doing this faithfully, it's gone away. If I go too long barefoot or wear sandals or dress shoes, it comes back.

I hate how recovery is so up and down, but it sounds common. (Although there are those strange stories of people who went back to work in a couple weeks with no pain and no cane!!) One day I think I'm doing better and the next I wake up and can hardly walk. Today it was hurting a lot in the morning, was fine mid day, and hurts like heck tonight! I'm scared cause I need to go back to work in a week or two and don't want to be in a lot of pain at work. I feel like some of the muscular pain would be better if I could stretch, but the stretches I know of would definitely break my restrictions! Need to ask my OS about it when I see him in a couple days. Hope your pains are better soon!
 
thanks @ShellBell727 - I am seeing my OS next Monday and will ask him about the Plantar Faciitis. I will take your advice about the tennis shoes. I have been walking around the house in socks mostly, so maybe that isn't helping.

I hope that everything goes ok for you with your return to work next week. Please keep us posted.
 
Hi @drahdrah. How did the ' back to work ' go...hope you're doing ok....Chrissie xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chrissie ! (@Hoppy Nanny )... back to work is next month (April 22nd). I've still got a few more weeks to get mentally and physically prepared. I will keep you posted once I start back. For now, all is good. Small improvements every week. How are you doing?
 
Sorry Hun...was confused...read 22nd and thought it was March not April...old age huh? Glad you are doing well...trying not to think about work probably and I've just brought it up!
I'm not having such a good week...got terrible cough and today and severe pain in my groin....hope it's just a muscle. Argghhhh...I'm icing and resting...not what I want to be doing again now! Take care...Chrissie xxxx:sos:
 
Hi Chrissie (@Hoppy Nanny ), so sorry that you are not feeling well. I had a really bad cold and cough a few weeks back, and it just made me miserable, and set me back a bit on my second recovery.
Is it possible that the groin pain may be due to your cough and jolting your body does when it coughs? Whatever the reason, I hope it is temporary and that you feel better soon.
xoxo
 
Thanks @drahdrah....pain a bit better today...do think it's a strain ......been up all night coughing...! Thanks so much for your concern...Chrissie xxx
 
Hi @drahdrah sorry I haven't been by to offer my support. Plantar fasciitis. Not what you need. I ignored mine years ago and ended up In A boot.....take action.

As advised sport shoes are best all all times but especially when doing housework, shopping, exercise, walking.

Also see a podiatrist as orthotics really help. Stretch in the morning and do the tennis ball or frozen coke bottle. Stretch the hamstrings with a band too

Talk to your OS about it....take care
 
OMG @Vetgirl - absolutely no apologies necessary considering all that you are going through. I do appreciate your feedback about PF. For me, the PF seems to be under control - more of a mild irritation than anything. I have insoles that I always use when out of the house, and wear crocs inside the house. No more walking barefoot or in socks for me. (I am kind of sad about that... but that's life).

Other than that, things are going well. I feel like the progress is slow, but it is there from week to week, so I can't complain. I have been having dreams lately where I am "normal"... walking without a cane, running after my daughter, etc. Last night, in my dream, I saw myself walking up a flight of stairs "hands free"... I was doing fine, and then I realized I wasn't holding on, got scared and grabbed the railing. In real life, to do stairs I hold onto the railing AND use my cane on the other side - still quite challenging. I see these dreams as signs that everything is going to continue to get better. Makes me happy :).
 
I am 10 weeks post op on my second THR and I am having some issues when I walk. I have not done anything crazy. I usually go from between 5-15 minutes at a time, and never more than 2 or 3 times a day. Usually my walking is incorporated in what I have to do during the day (ie. getting to the subway is a 5 minute walk for me). I notice that on busier days my ankles seem to swell slightly and get a bit stiff. I have had issues with my foot on the operated side (plantar fasciitis, numbness on the outer side and smaller toes, and some pain that I think is related to nerves).
I am wondering if there may be a circulation issue, and if wearing compression stockings might help. Any feedback would be appreciated.
 
Hope that goes away soon @drahdrah...didn't have ankle swelling myself...just lots of different niggly things that cropped up during the recovery...and then went away....just for something else unrelated to start up....take care...Chrissie xx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
thanks @Hoppy Nanny - yes, I am starting to think this is one of those niggly things as well. My main concern is that I am going back to full time work in 2 weeks, and these niggly things will be much harder to handle when I have to add 8 hours of work to my daily routine. Sigh... we shall see.
 
In 2 weeks time @12 weeks most of this 'stuff' goes away....seemed like the magical time for me when I was almost back to normal.....a good time to start back to work !


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom