THR 11 days post-op and doing ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
@drahdrah. Glad all hoping well for you 2nd time around....just think..by the summer you will be pretty much able to do anything!! Your sister sounds lovely...do hope you manage ok on your own next week...love and best wishes Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you are doing great! I agree - wish the winter would be over, I hate going out on ice and snow and here at least, below zero...
 
@drahdrah Glad you are doing well with your second recovery and with minimal pain. Yay!
I read above in your thread that you got to see your femoral head.
Please tell me how you saw this? Did you want to? Were you awakened during the process or did you
have light sedation and were 'aware of what was going on'? Curious.....
 
@MajorHeidi - I had a spinal block and sedation. I was awake for about the last half hour of the surgery. I asked whoever would listen if I could see my bone, and initially was told no. Then my surgeon heard me and went to "get" it from wherever they hide these things away. Looked like a piece of bone from meat you would buy in the deli... very bizarre and cool at the same time. In a weird way, seeing my obviously "sick" bone confirmed to me that I made the right decision.
 
Wow @drahdrah that is so interesting..... and the validation it afforded you. Good.
But, did you just awaken because they didn't give enough sedation to you? Did they offer to put you
'back under'? Did you hear any of the conversation?
 
@charmed-life - I have been a complete hermit since getting home almost 2 weeks ago. Although this may sound depressing to some, I don't even draw the blinds to look outside lately. The kitchen blinds allow sunlight in (when it's sunny) and that's enough for me. I have help from my sister and hubby when I need things from outside - so I really don't feel a NEED to go out myself.

This time around (as opposed to the first time), I don't have that nagging itch to get out of the house, or to do more than I should. I have everything I need at home, and am quite content with that. I imagine I might feel different if it was spring or summer, but for now, I am doing alright in my little "cocoon" at home.
 
@MajorHeidi - although I am not sure of this, I don't think there is a rule on the sedative, and I don't think it matters much that I woke up at the end. I was very groggy when I awoke, and my shoulder was hurting tremendously since I had been on my side for 4 hours, but I did not feel anything below my waist due to the spinal block. I was actually speaking with the anesthesiologist and telling her that my shoulder was hurting. I didn't ask and don't remember them offering to give me more sedative to put me under. I could hear the conversation going on around me but don't remember much. I could also feel some of the final stages of the surgery like them removing tape from around the incision - but there was no pain, just a bit of sensation where they were pulling on the tape.

Are you having THR ? If so, please don't let any of this scare you. Everyone's experience is different, and no matter how much you inform yourself or prepare - the actual experience will most likely be quite different than you imagined (usually both is some good ways and in some bad), but the final outcome will bring you a better quality of life, and that is what you have to focus on.
 
Thanks for all that info @drahdrah .
I meet my OS on Feb 17, and they schedule me for sometime in April for RTHR anterior.
 
@drahdrah, so interested to read your posts!! Your experience maps very closely to my own. I had RTHR on Sept 16, 2013, followed by LTHR four months later on Jan 22, 2014. I too found the second surgery easier. I have more muscle strength on my left side than I previously had on my right. Am familiar already with the routine, PT, and recovery schedule. The pain meds affected my moods and psychological state for both surgeries, but I think I felt more "down" after the first surgery, probably because I knew I would have to repeat the whole ordeal in just a few months. This time I know that healing and a more active lifestyle lie in store for me, and that's such a relief. Sending you warm wishes for a swift and complete recovery! You made it through the worst of it!!! We both did :)
 
@drahdrah - nesting or cocooning is a good thing - it allows you to focus on you and your recovery - good for you :)
 
@nettie - yup, sounds like there are alot of parallel's in our journey's. Wishing you continued strength and a speedy recovery too. Nice to meet people on similar paths !
 
Thanks @dkirk0530 - Both my hips were so bad, that even after the first surgery I limited because of my "bad" hip, so it didn't make much sense to do only one. Bi-lateral was not an option with my surgeon, and although initially that would have probably been my choice (let's get this over with !!!). Now, in retrospect, I think I am glad it wasn't an option. My hats off to those who have done both at the same time !!!

Just read some of your recovery thread. So glad that you are doing so well. Back at work and doing 50+ hours a week - how in heaven's name are you managing that?!?! I am very impressed. You go girl !
 
Today marks 5 weeks post-op. Things are going smoothly overall with a few minor concerns.
In the last week, my heel has been very numb and tender. When I wake up in the morning, my first 10 or so steps are painful due to this numbness and tenderness. Has anyone experiences anything similar? Does anyone know what this might be or if I should be concerned.
 
@drahdrah.....I have had heel pain for some time since THR on non operated foot. The PT said it was from laying on my back after op. So I put a folded towel under my heel when sleeping. However, the pain has also gone into the side of my foot and have now been told by podiatrist that I have Plantar Faciitis....they say it is because of my bad gait prior to surgery......having massage from therapist, icing foot and using golf ball to stretch the tendon...it is working! Hope you get the pain sorted...think all of these things are a by product of the op and how we change the way we walk, sleep, sit etc. both pre and post op. Love Chrissie xxx
 
@bottomshollow - thank you for the link. It is very helpful
@Hoppy Nanny - it seems like I too may have Plantar Faciitis. What to you mean "using the golf ball to stretch the tendon". Do you roll the ball with your heel?
 
Hi there! Glad alls well I have had PF too not with thr but in the past. I used a towel wrapped around foot to gently pool foot towards me. Lots of good info on web about PF. Good You Tube videos. Also have dh that has bad bone spurs and they suggested putting water into a soda bottle, freezing bottle and then running heels gentle back and forth over frozen bottle. He has not done that yet but that's what his OS told him to do.

I had cramping in feet and hot heels from lying on my back and heels rubbing on bed while recovering from thr. Went away after awhile and when I moved and changed position but I recall it felt like my heels were burning up!!

Good luck! Glad you're doing well so far minus heels!
 
I developed pain in my arches similar to plantar faciitis starting in weeks 2/3. Pain lasted about one week. I stretched, did arch strengthening exercises, frozen water bottle massage and golf ball massage of the arch. The foot pain was worse than my hip. I believe sleeping on my back was the cause. They sell splints for back sleepers who are prone to this problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom