THR 11 days post-op and doing ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoppy Nanny, thanks so much for your words of encouragement and concern. I went to my work party last night, and had a really nice time. I knew that it would tire me out, so I have been relaxing all day and taking it easy. Still a little out of sorts, and feeling some pain on the operated side, but nothing too concerning.

I will keep you posted on how things are going. I hope that you are also continuing to feel normal.
 
Glad you had a nice outing at your Xmas party.. :)

Slow down, you move too fast, you gotta make your recovery last... Isn't that the words of a song :).... Hugs sent your way!
 
Thanks Poppet. Yes, those are words to a song that I love.

Thanks for posting the links to the nutrition articles. I have been eating way too much junk in the past week or so, and I need to get back on track and eat healthier foods.

Lots of stiffness today, and a bit of pain in my thigh, but overall, ok considering I was walking around and on my feet for almost 3 hours last night.
 
drahdrah Glad you had a good time at your works party.....bet you are feeling pooped now! I wasn't prepared for this 'energy drain' post op st all. In fact still, after 9 weeks it hits me hard at times. Also, don't know if you suffer but my sleep patterns are all over the place. That's why it's 3am and I'm posting on here. I'm doing very well, the last week or so feeling much more positive and my hip is starting to feel like it belongs in my body.....didn't like that weird .'alien part' feeling...guess it's all going to take time......we are going to a dinner party at friends tonight.....the first time I've been out in the evening since my op....and I'm staying over ....hope I get some sleep!! Think maybe a few glasses of wine now I'm not on any medication might help!!
Hope you have a good Christmas and your recovery just goes on improving. Im feeling very festive now...Xmas trees and decs up! Love this time of year but hoping I can cope!!
Poppet......I love the lyrics of that song too....isn't it 'Feeling Groovy'.....trying to think who sang it now!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
You got it Hoppy Nanny :) simon & garfunkel - the 59th Street Bridge Song ..... Feeling Groovy

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin’ groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin’ groovy
Hello, lamppost, what’cha knowin’?
I’ve come to watch your flowers growin’
Ain’t’cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in doo-doo, feelin’ groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin’ groovy
I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I’m dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life, I love you
All is groovy...... :)
 
Poppet Of course, Simon and Garfunkel...great song. Thanks for the lyrics....takes me back to my teenage years..ooops some time ago now!! Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Happy New Year to everyone !!!
2014 will start off with a bang for me. I am scheduled for my RTHR on January 17th. That's a little more than 3 months since my LTHR on October 4th, 2013. I am a little anxious about it as I don't feel that I have fully recovered from my first surgery, but at the same time really excited that come spring, I will no longer have the limitation of a bad hip and terrible pain to deal with.

One thing that has me concerned is that for the last 3 days I have some thigh pain on the operated side. Nothing excruciating, but enough to make me limp more than a week ago. I had neglected my physio exercises for about 2 weeks and gone about daily life (with the holidays and all, I figured walking the mall was as good if not better than physio). This past Monday, I decided to get back on track and did a full round on my exercises in the morning. I didn't have any pain while I was doing the movements, but by afternoon, the pain began in my thigh, and has been pretty steady since. Funny thing is, up until about a month ago, I would get thigh pain while going up stairs. That pain has gone away, and this new pain only seems to affect me when I walk, and not when I climb stairs.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 
@drahdrah Lovely to catch up with your recovery...was wondering how you were getting along. Like you, 12 weeks post op I have very good weeks, some weeks with a pain in my operated leg when walking, then that goes and get real stiffness if not exercising enough. I think that the Xmas/ new year hols made us take a break from our normal exercise programmes ....sitting down for long periods, etc. or carrying shopping after walking around shopping centres..............So...your next op on the horizon....you are very brave....but also so right when you say that by this summer you will have 'done' it and be able to fully get on with your life. Please keep us up to date on your recovery after 17th. My other hip will need doing but at the moment it's not too bad so will wait a while as I also suffer with back pain and will give my RTHR time to recover fully to support my spine ( if that makes any sense?). Hope your pain is not too bad in the interim...take care ..Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @Hoppy Nanny. My new hip is feeling pretty good overall DESPITE not doing my exercises lately. Still stiff at times, and apart from the thigh pain the last couple of days, very good.

I completely understand waiting a while before doing your left hip, especially since it isn't too bad. I would have waited if I could, but I cannot imagine going back to work right now. I think the pain on my "bad" side will make it extremely difficult... so forward I move, expecting good results and a better future.

I think the second surgery will help my first hip recover more fully and get stronger. My bad hip is still limiting me considerably, because the more I do, the more it hurts, even when the new hip is completely fine and not over exerted.

I will continue to post here to keep you up to date.

Glad to hear that you are doing well also. Such great hope for a new year. :)
 
@drahdrah glad your new hip is serving you well....ready and waiting for it's new twin. Do hope you don't have too much pain before the next op. Oh no...going back to work with the pain is not a good option... Will keep an eye out for you honey...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Here's to a special 2014 for all of us :)
 
Had my second THR (right side) on January 24th. 3.5 months after the first. The anxiety prior to the surgery was much worse this time around, especially when I was delayed by a week. That extra week of waiting was agonizing.

Now that I am done, and 9 days post op, I can honestly say that physically, things seem a little easier the second time around. So far, my current recovery has been very much like the first, so I am not as concerned about every little ache or pain being a serious issue. As well, I seem to be able to do more from the get go, including lifting my leg off the bed while lying down, and lifting off the floor while standing - which I was unable to do for about 3 weeks post-op the first time around. Even the "dead weight" of my leg seems less heavy. Very strange and wonderful.

On the emotional side it's been harder. Not sure if it's the pain meds, or just a general depressing time of year. I am feeling "Blah" way too early this time around. Hopefully this too shall pass. I have been reminding myself that this is temporary, and by the end of February I will be up and about just like the last time.
 
@ drahdrah. Oh so glad to hear from you...I've been popping by your thread to see if you had posted. Just what you needed was a week's delay...not!! Can imagine how anxious that made you. Glad the recovery going well....gosh I think you are sooo brave doing it again so soon....I'm full of admiration for you. No wonder you are feeling Blah! Two surgeries and recoveries in 3.5 months!! It's all caught up with you now....all that pent up anxiety, stress, trauma...to be expected I would say. I'm still getting over my first one, feeling OK but stiff in the hip and knee. Do hope you can find something to lift your mood...and hope the weather is bring kind to you....do keep us posted...really look forward to hearing from you. With love and hugs...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Drahdrah; I also wake up with numbness in my leg and also wake up every two hours for a potty break. I guess this is normal and may be related to our pharmaceuticals. I also have not had a full night sleep in many years. So glad your surgery is over and is now history and I wish you a speedy recovery.
 
Thanks @Hoppy Nanny - overall I am doing really well... even the "blah" feeling has lifted a little today. As for doing 2 surgeries in 3.5 months, I think that the longer I waited the harder it would be. Going into the first surgery, I was fully prepared mentally for this to be a 2 phase operation, and wanted to get it over ASAP. So far so good ! I think stiffness is ongoing with hip surgery. Not sure if it ever goes away completely. If there is anyone reading this who has had THR over a year ago, please let us know if the stiffness improves with time, or better yet, does it go away completely?

@chipmunk , yes, the potty breaks are definitely due to the meds (in large part). The meds I am on make me extremely thirsty, and I am drinking water constantly. Hence the frequent potty breaks. I have been sleeping better already this time around, and it's only been 9 days since the second surgery. Yay for small victories !
 
@drahdrah. I too wonder about that stiffness....does it ever get better.....hoping some lovely bone smarties will let us know.....glad your blah day not so bad...love. Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @drahdrah well done on getting your second hip done.

What a champion

I am finding my stiffness gets better the more I move around and the longer it is from the surgery..hope that helps
 
thanks @Vetgirl - Yes, definitely helps to know that things continue to improve as the weeks and months pass.
My first "new" hip (the left one) was still quite stiff prior to the second surgery, and that was 3.5 months after surgery. Now, with all the meds for the second surgery, I don't feel much stiffness on the left side, but I know that doesn't mean much. I will know better what "normal" is once I stop taking the pain meds.

I hope that you are doing good and that your complications are under control. BTW, I got to see my femoral head as well... pretty freaky. Looked just like the top of a turkey drumstick, except not a smooth ! :)
 
I am 2 weeks post op on my second THR (right), and things are moving along nicely. Things are not easy, but they seem to be moving along a little faster than the first time around last October. Other than alot of numbness and heaviness in my leg on the operated side, the pain is very manageable. I have cut back to 5mg of oxycodine every six hours, and sometimes I even forget to take it which means the pain isn't tremendous.

I have been doing my physio religiously twice a day, and very little else :) ... I have been quite happy lying in bed with my tablet and Netflix. The physio exercises so far have been quite reasonable and are not causing added pain or swelling (hopefully I am not speaking too soon).

I have yet to venture outside in the cold and snow and am a little anxious about that. I will have to get out there on Monday to take my daughter to the bus stop. If not for the winter, I think I would have been fine to do it this week, but my wonderful sister has insisted on helping out and has taken on this task every morning for the last two weeks (thank god !!!). Hubby leaves for work a 6AM, so he's not able to do it.

Thanks BoneSmart for this wonderful forum of support and dialogue. Having found this sight has made everything a little easier !!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom