Guest viewing is limited

TKR 10 weeks on other side and no longer lurking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Texan....sounds like you are doing quite well. When did you decide to have the other TKR. Was it already scheduled? You are about 2 weeks ahead of me. My PT told me I would have been a good candidate for bilateral. My OS says that my right knee has many miles left..Its bothersome because it has been carrying the load for quite some time. Hopefully my new kne will give the right knee a bit of relief.

I also felt sorry for my husband. He went well beyond the call of duty. When I was crying I must be crazy for doing this, he reminded me of how much pain I was in before the operation and that by now it would have been worse..I was more upset because I couldnt do anything than the pain. I hurt but the pain was managed well. I just thought I was going crazy. I now realized it was the percocet. Nice to know your new knee is pain free. At least with this next TKR you know what to expect. I think that will make a difference...has your husband recovered? I think my husband would cry if I told him I was having my other one done in June.
 
Your recovery sounds just like mine. My pain was well managed but the cabin fever really got to me. Once my left knee allowed me to resume normal activity, my right knee reared it's ugly head and brought me down. Again, I wasn't able to do things on a regular basis. When I first decided to have knee replacement, I asked the surgeon how do you decide which one to do. He asked which one was worse at that very moment. I never would have had a bilateral. It was hard enough to go to the bathroom, shower, walk, etc. with one knee done, much less two! I admire the ones who can do that but I am a wimp! I asked my husband if he was ready for the next surgery and without hesitation he said "No." Haha
 
That is funny. I can just hear my husband saying no. I am in no way close to normal. I was doing great but went shopping the week before Easter, really over did . That weekend I came down with a cold that just kicked my hinney. I was in bed all week, then we had company for Easter weekend . Over did again. I am definitely learning that when I over extend I do pay for it..The energy drains amaze me. Feb 11, 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 3c breast cancer...went thru chemo,surgery ,another round of chemo then radiation. (I am cancer free)I had energy drains then but no one called them that. The feeling is the same. The name 'energy drain' is perfect for how I can feel all of a sudden. My new knee only hurts at nite when I sleep on one side too long then try to turn over. I keep telling everyone my knee will hold up a house. No pain at all when I stand up....I still waddle but a lot of that is habit. Lol
 
Speaking of habits, I still push up with my arms to get out of a chair and that is a habit I need to break. I have been fortunate in that my knee doesn't hurt at night when I sleep. I hear a lot of people complain about that but I escaped it. The next one could be different. I've started planning the meals I need to make before my next surgery. I will put about 15 meals, cookies and muffins in the freezer to supplement what my husband cooks. I don't think I started cooking until 6 or 7 weeks after surgery. Friends and neighbors brought food for about 2 weeks but I don't want them to do that again.
 
@Junebug2, I have developed a couple of avatars that I thought you might like to use. They are already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested them. On a PC, just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done. On an iPad, hold your finger on the image and you will be presented with the options to copy or save the image. Choose 'save the image' go to your user name, top of screen and select Avatar and then choose 'existing choice' and apply and bingo you have your new avatar.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks on other side and no longer lurking
[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks on other side and no longer lurking


If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents itself.
 
Great to have you here and glad you've found us so helpful.
 
Good morning..we are having very stormy weather. Usually my left knee would be very acky. Now its just tight. Texan, I try to be conscious of not pushing up from chair. I think of it as an exercise. When I sleep on new knee side I have problem when I try to turn over. Its like raisin the side of a barn:) I dont hav that problem when I sleep on right side. Bottomshollow, I will check out those adorable bugs when I get to my computer. Thanks
 
I am 11 weeks from surgery and I think the worse part for me right now is not being able to sleep. Ambien doesnt help. I am not one to nap during the day, altho I do lie down and try.Every few days I will get 4 hours straight and apparently that is keeping me going. Other than that its 30-45 mins at a time. The incision is also bothering me. It has just started bothering me. Its tight and stings. I have used ucerine, coconut oil , vit E and now I just used vaseline with coco butter. Its been a very long 11 weeks...I am so grateful for this forum. It has gotten me thru some very dark moments. My husband and I were talking tonite about how unprepared we were for this surgery.
 
@Junebug2, I have always felt that orthopaedic practices that do joint replacement should have a staff member who has actually been through the surgery. That person could educate the patient on the recovery process so he/she would not be blindsided.

You're almost 12 weeks---usually the first real turning point when you feel that "normal" can become a reality. Things are going to slowly, but surely, get better and better; but recovery road is long and often bumpy. Just keep a positive attitude and follow those BoneSmart mantras.

Would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. This information is very helpful when answering your questions and concerns. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2014 or 10 Jan. 2014 rather than 1/10/14 or 10/1/14. Thanks so much for your cooperation.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thanks....I hope I got it fixed....
I think it would be nice if the surgeons just gave an information sheet with BONESMARTS.ORG across the top.All the information I received was ..In 3 months you will be glad you had the surgery....at 3 months I am glad I had the surgery. Lol.
 
The hospital where I had my surgery required hip and knee patients to go to a class before surgery. I had great expectations and it was a waste of time. I have learned more on BoneSmart than I did in that class. I thought I was prepared for surgery but I wasn't. This has been a long recovery and now I get to start all over again!
 
This time you are prepared...I think it will make a difference for you. We will only think positive thoughts...
 
Sleep seems to take forever to get back to normal. I'm glad to hear you are at least lying down during the day and resting even if you can't exactly nap. Luckily I'm a good napper, so that helped me. Wishing you :sleep:
 
I have been out and about today and this evening.... Hope I didnt over do. I dont feel as tho I have. I did manage a short rest, ice and elevate before we went out this evening....my incision looks like its getting wider..is this normal?
 
Hi Jeanne! I just found your thread and so much of what you said brings back memories!! It does sound like you are making wonderful progress, even though we are often surprised by the crying jags or new sensations and feelings in our knee(s). As to your most recent comment, both of my scars did get slightly wider as they healed (1/8 inch vs. initial thin line in places). No idea why, yet I still wear shorts and am proud of my "badges of courage." At 18 and 16 1/2 months, the heavy band of tightness is all gone (probably stopped feeling that at around months 8-11) and only occasionally feel bits of tightness. If your sister is still swelling, have her try some shiatsu massage with someone who knows what they are doing. When I was going stir crazy after the 1st knee was done, I had a friend who is a massage therapist come over and she really worked on moving the lymph. My OS was shocked at 3 weeks after each knee that I had no swelling! He now recommends shiatsu to his patients, knowing that getting the swelling out of the legs is one key to pain reduction. Of course I would also lay on the couch with both feet up on the wall for hours reading - perhaps a wee bit of "elevate overdo"!!

The support and information I found on BoneSmart was critical throughout my recovery - so glad you found it too and are finding it helpful. Will be wishing you luck and success every day of your journey!
 
Thanks Lynn for your answer. Badges of honor indeed. :) Its always nice to hear from others that have experienced what I am:) ; Apparently I didnt over do yesterday because I feel good today.. I will definitely tell my sister about the massage. I haven't had a lot of swelling but I think its because I elevate and ice often. I think that is one of my sisters problems she doesnt ice and elevate properly.
Hope you had a lovely day.
 
Kneeper, I finally got a decent nights sleep last night. I am hoping for a repeat tonite.
 
I am green with envy that you slept well last night.:) Hopefully tonight I will sleep really well since I didn't get much last night. My scar isn't getting any lighter so I have been reading articles online. Several articles recommended silicone gel sheets. They are reusable and available at Walgreen's. Some online are quite pricey but the Walgreen's brand is affordable. I am going to try them. I've been using Mederma. My scar was raised until my p/t gave me a soft compression sleeve to wear to help with swelling. It helped the scar flatten out.
 
Hopefully tonite the sandman will sprinkle you with enough sleep dust and you will hav a very restful nite. I think I will look into the gel sheets.. actually Im not worried about the scar look, I was just concerned about it widening. Its beginning to look like a pink fishing lure.lol. MY sister had her first TKR 8 years ago and I can barely tell she has one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom