Guest viewing is limited

TKR 10 weeks on other side and no longer lurking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got the bit of rain, hope you receive more..Glad you are having the screen placement. I marvel at all that can be done now. I will keep you in thoughts and prayers. At least you are well prepared. Soon you will be dancing in the streets:)..
 
Catching up since I was in Italy for 2 weeks. Jeanne, so glad you are starting to feel a bit more well-rested!!! Sorry to hear about your mishap with the frame. Has the knee settled down now? I am happy to report that at 18 months, my hips and knees behaved beautifully in Italy - despite all the hill towns of Tuscany! I know what you mean about listening to the waves - we spent three nights in Naples right on the bay - restful!
 
Lynn, sounds like you had a lovely vacation. I am so glad your knees and hips allowed you to enjoy all the walking involved..I am glad you alsoo had a bit of rest.
My knee is finally scabbing where the incision was torn. I am still walking like godzilla. The new knee and the old knee are stiff. I am taking one day at a time but hoping that a natural walking gait will soon come to me:). My sleep patterns are better but I'm still tired.
Glad you had a safe trip and I am happy your new parts allowed you to fully enjoy your travels. Welcome home.
 
Thanks Jeanne. Just keep elevating and icing - both knees. It reduces inflammation and swelling, thereby reducing stiffness. You'll be moving like a mountain goat in no time! :snork:
 
@NightQuilter What a fantastic vacation. I love Naples. We stayed there the last time we were in Italy followed by a few days in Positano. It is such a vibrant and exciting city! We hated to come home.

Now that my knees are improving, I'm starting to think of another trip.

@Junebug2 Don't get discouraged. It will improve very soon.
 
@Junebug2, How are you doing? I have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and just got home yesterday. I went for type and screening lab work this morning, getting ready for next weeks surgery. Hope you are continuing to improve!
 
Good luck Texan!! We will all be rooting for you and waiting to hear how well you are doing!
 
@NightQuilter, Thank you! My first recovery went well, so I am hoping for the same with the next knee. I've been working on getting my knee straight before surgery but it just doesn't want to do that. I know that will make recovery that much harder!
 
Mine wasn't quite straight before I had the 2nd one done - just more challenge for your PT to make it happen!! :heehee:
 
July 11 it will be 6 months out from surgery. My knee is still tight and stiff. I elevate and ice 3-4 hrs a day. I sleep with iced gel pack most of night......I pretty much do what I want or need to do but my gait is awful. I know its from the tightness and swelling. My right knee is a problem too, but not to the point of surgery..:)
 
hmmm. Have you asked your PT about all that icing? I don't recall the details, but mine said something about not doing more than a certain length of time each time - something about the vessels constricting. Of course, you can do it as many times a day as you like.... Do you still have swelling below the knee (calf/ankle/foot)? Just wondering what some massage around the knee might do to release fluids? What does your OS think?

(repeat after me:) "It WILL continue to improve!!":heehee:
 
My os released me for a year at my 8 weeks visit..I stopped PT because he said he didnt think I needed it any longer....I ice and elevate many times during the day, not all at one time.. both knees swell a bit and are tight. The band of tightness in left knee is right around my replacement. I have no pain, just the tightness. I just expected to be walking better at 6 months. Guess Its going to take longer.
 
@Junebug2, I agree with Nightquilter. I would try massage. After my first TKR, I had problems with the IT band around my knee. My therapist massaged it for several weeks and all of the tightness went away. Someone on BS said they went for massages after surgery and their OS was so impressed with how little swelling there was that he started recommending massage to his other patients. Worth a shot!
 
@Junebug2, How are you doing? Has the tightness in the knee gotten any better?

Cindy
 
@Texan. Hey Cindy.... how are you doing. I have been on BS in a while....The tightness in my knee is getting better. I am not where I want to be, but I am a lot farther along than I was. Lol. The tightness comes and goes. I'm not walking as well as I should be. I basically can do most things, but still have to pace myself. My husband keeps saying I'm doing too much .
I hope you are progressing right along..
 
Hi Jeanne, I am at 6 months for my first TKR and Wednesday will be 8 weeks for the second one. I had to quit taking any pain medication including Tylenol because of stomach problems. Some days I want to take Tylenol so bad but having bum knees AND upset stomach is more than I can handle. So if I have knee pain, I ice. Before I had my second knee done, I didn't have pain in the first knee. Now they both hurt! My therapist thinks it is because I compensate for the latest knee. UGH!

I am glad to hear that the tightness in your knee is getting better. That means there is hope! They keep saying on BS that it can take a year... I was hoping for better than that, but I am not known for my patients. We had company last night and by the time everyone left, I could hardly walk. Maybe your husband is the smart one about doing too much. Maybe we should both listen to him! I see my o/s tomorrow. My husband says that is a wasted trip. haha He doesn't like him either. I'm hoping to get a script for 4 more weeks of p/t. I still can't straighten my knee so hopefully he will approve it. He'll probably just tell me to suck it up and straighten it. Hahaha! Can you tell I'm not fond of him? What is your range of motion? From the time p/t ended with the first surgery until I started with the second one, my extension got better but the flexion got worse. Hope you continue to improve. Listen to your husband!

Cindy
 
My goodness, not being able to take pain meds when you are in pain is a bummer. I am so sorry that you have pain. I imagine the two operations back to back make recovery seem like forever. I say this because most days my one seems like forever. No doubt your February knee is compensating for the June knee...I know my new is for the old one. I understand the doctor situation. I met mine January 2, had surgery February 11. Only saw himtwice before surgery. Only info I had been given was , in 3 months you will be glad you had the operation. He was highly recommended by my family physician. He is a likeable guy and no doubting that he is good at what he does. His asst(nurse) is brisk. My first visit, one week after surgery, she was telling us about a young lady that had just picked up a script for her dad..the young lady was telling her that her dad was having a terrible time. He was in pain, depressed , couldnt sleep and not doing well at all. The asst told her to tell him to get over it..He just had knee surgery. Needless to say I knew I need not mention I had the same problems. It was 3 weeks after surgery that I found bonesmart. It not only saved my sanity but also my dear husbands. This has been the hardest thing to deal with. My hat is off to you because you are going through it again. My extenion and flexion has been good from the beginning. I hope your doctor approves the extended therapy. I have realized that there is not a lot of understanding about TKR . Even from those that have experienced it. I think those that are fully recoveredare so happy about being more mobile that they forget what they endured the first year:)
 
Sorry that was so long....please let me know how your visit today goes.
 
@Junebug2, I think it will be a LONG time before I forget what I have been through this year!
 
I hopeur doctor appt went well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom