TKR 10 weeks on other side and no longer lurking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, both knees were bad but my os said I still had more miles on the right knee. I have been busy this week and both knees are letting me know..I know I am a lot better but there are days that I just think I will never walk without pain. I hate the negative thinking but it is what it is...I think a good nights sleep would help with the thinking. I fell asleep about 10:30ish. Woke at 11:15 and I am wide awake. These are the nights I hate. How did you sleep last nite? Hopefully you got another 7 hrs:) My husband falls asleep before his head hits the pillow. It amazes me how quickly he does.
How are you coming along.
 
I slept really well again Thursday night. Not very well last night. Maybe 5 or 6 last night. My husband falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow also. Amazing! We are going out today with neighbors and it will involve quite a bit of walking. Hope my knees do o.k. More concerned about the right one.
 
5-6 hours is a good night for me...so glad you are sleeping better. It just makes it all easier.I took ambien at 3 am and slept till 9am. I feel very rested . Enjoy your outing today. I hope your right knee will be kind to you. Its a beautiful day in Memphis...I will be supervising the planting of the rose bushes I bought yesterday.
 
How long was your carpel tunnel recovery....you seem to have had your share of surgeries..
Well, no...I've just broken down here recently. Before I was 35, the only time I was in the hospital was to have a baby. Then, at age 35, I broke the left tibial plateau. No hospitalizations again until last year -more than 20 years later-and there was no hospital -just a few hours in the surgical center--I had one hand done and then the other. I already knew by then that I needed a left knee replacement and also the right hip replaced. I was trying to loose as much weight as possible before the hip and wait to 60 for the knee. I was in denial about carpal tunnel, because I had always thought that this was a little ...imaginary? But I was loosing all functions of my hands, both were numb all the time, and I was in pain most of the time. Carpal tunnel surgery wasn't bad; 15 minutes and local anesthesia-I waited too long, so still have nerve damage and numbness, but waaayy better! I had to keep the incision covered for two weeks, but I was able to have limited use of the hand almost immediately-just no lifting over 5 pounds. By then, I was taking copious amounts of naproxen (up to 25 of the 220mg OTC) -even prescriptions like Tramadol and Tylenol with codeine didn't help with knee and hip pain. Then, I had anemia. REAL anemia. Coming from a NSAID induced ulcer. So I had to choose between addressing the knee or the hip. The knee hurt worse and hurt sooner. Good news, I am loosing some weight and found that Neurontin helps with hip pain. Bad news? I am more active and feel almost freed now (but not today..) -so my hip pain kicks in -but I do have to be up and about for over an hour before that starts. Choices...:good-bad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Junebug2, I over did it! Stiff knee so I'm icing and elevating. I had fun though!

That is the best way to plant roses, from a supervisory position! I haven't gotten much planted this spring. I won't be able to water anything after June 11th and I don't want to put anything else on my husband. We have been in a drought for several years, and no end in sight, so it is probably for the best. There is always next year.
 
When will you have the hips done? I have heard hip replacement is not as traumatic as TKR . So glad you doing so well..I love that word freed:). I think its wonderful that you are losing weight. Are you doing any particular diet? I know my whole body would love me more if I lost some weight. I thought I would after this surgery because I lost my appetite but that didnt last long. It seems I have gained a few. I worked in the yard today and I am paying for it now. Mainly my old knee. Apparently my left knee caused so much pain I didnt notice pain in my right one. I shudder at the thought of another replacement.....lol but as we know when the pain gets really bad we will do whatever we must...
Hope you have good nights sleep. I got my usual 45 mins. Now I will be up for a few hours...oh well...
 
Hi Junebug2 and welcome. Just getting to see your thread. Hope all is well with you and that you are getting relief from your pain. Hope all is well with you. Take care. And I do hope you get a good nites sleep.
 
Thank you Chestnc. My pain is mostly from tightness and incision discomfort. Not getting enough sleep is major. The other day I saw a fretful young toddler at the store and I thought I know exactly how you feel. When I dont get enough sleep I become fretful about 12am. Lol thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great Monday:)
 
I started to cut meat and dairy -- I lost weight immediately. It was difficult to make that transition, but I did gradually figure it out (mostly). I do feel better and have more energy when I stick to a vegan diet. The theory is, if I loose enough weight, I might not need the hip surgery. I'll wait about a year or so...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
I think you might be right about the loss of weight helping with the hip...I think it would be a big plus concering my right knee. I try to watch the carbs that I eat. I was hoping that I can be more active now and that will help. I have several friends that are vegetarian. Hope you have a nice day.
 
Sitting here watching the waves roll in on the beach and thinking how happy I am to be here..Few weeks ago I didnt think I was going to be able to make this trip. It was a 7 hr road trip. We stopped several times to stretch and walk around. I iced my knee practically the whole time. Yesterday I walked up and down 3 flights of stairs and did just fine. I am icing often. My knee has a few twinges of discomfort but......GUESS WHAT???? NO JOINT PAIN when I stand or sit down:) its nice to be able to say that......but sad to say, MY FEET HURT????

One last thing...I have had several conversations with strangers that are thinking of knee surgery. I have urgedthem all to seek out bonesmart.org as soon as they can.
 
@Junebug2, I'm so glad you got to go on your trip and you are in a happy place. It is a reward for all you have been through. I'm like you, I tell everyone who thinks they will need hip or knee replacement about Bonesmart. Happy I found it! Have fun on your vacation.
 
Still waiting for the sleep award:)
 
It was a nice surprise to realize that I was sweating from exertion and not pain. Can't wait till I am able to be up and around enough for my feet to hurt. Congrats on progress, and, if you are able to string hours of sleep together, you should get an award. Hoping you have many happy adventures ahead!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
I hope you will soon be complaining about your feet hurting. Lol. Actually wishing you a pain free future:):loll:
 
Texan, I have thought of having cards printed . Just with the name bonesmart.org......then just pass them out. :rotfl: Hope you are feeling great.
 
@Junebug2, It would be easier to have them printed than writing it down all the time! Have you gotten any sleep lately?

Cindy
 
Yes Cindy, I have been doing better in the sleep department. Seems all it took was listening to the ocean waves.:) last night was our first nite home and I slept ok. I consider 2 hrs straight between potty breaks then right back to sleep a good nite sleep:) I had a mishap while vacationing. I bumped into a corner of a frame and tore a section of my incision. Just tore right up the middle of my scar. Nothing serious but it sure hurt and is nasty looking. I am glad I had jeans on. Could have been worse. Lol. How are things in Texas. What part of Texas? When are you schduled for surgery?
 
@Junebug2, So sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope it heals quickly.

We got 3.5" of rain last week. We need a lot more than that to get us out of the drought, but we were happy to get rain at all. I live near San Antonio.

My next knee replacement is June 11th. I am supposed to go in a day early for a screen to be placed in the vein going from the legs to the lungs to catch any blood clots. They are doing this since I got a blood clot in my lung after the last knee replacement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom