Hi, bionic friends!
I haven't posted in ages and do you know why? Because as hard as it may be to believe right now, recovery does take you to a better place. The road can feel long and lonely, but hang in there!
I had THR in May of 2016, so it's not super recent, but at 7 months post op...
@Zelda- Hello! Sorry for such a delay in replying. It has been months since I've logged in. I've been very busy at work as we have been short-handed. I am doing ok! How are you? Great I hope.
My next challenge is to really work on building strength in my operated leg. Going up the stairs...
Thank you @Zelda and @Jaycey! What you are saying makes sense.
Unfortunately I cannot avoid the stairs as it is the only way to access the floor I work on. When I first returned to work I was set up on the main floor for a few weeks, but I then needed to re-join my team in proximity on the...
@msmo- thank you for your reply and best wishes for working through your stair challenge. I've been looking online and the answer to my issue isn't clear, but I am going to keep looking and asking.
Hi, all! I'll be uncharacteristically brief-ish as I am at work. But it is because I am at work and going up and down stairs that I need feedback.
So going up stairs is hard if I am stepping reciprocally, using each foot/leg equally to pull my weight up to the next step.
I am having pain on...
I will have to take the word of the video watchers. I did good to make it through the animation on my doctor's website. Just the animation made me light headed and my palms sweaty. I kid you not. There are areas I may have foolish pride in, but I totally own being a medical weenie. WEENIE...
@Jillians - nice to meet you! I had THR on May 17th. I've since resumed regular life, including putting in a lot of time and energy at work. So I can only check in to this site from time to time to learn and share with members.
I wanted to say it does take some getting used to walking wise...
@Lee0521 - I am sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one. I had a cat pass away last year. She was 15 and much loved. There is never a "good" time for it to happen, I suppose, but I know the loss during your recovery has to be particularly difficult. My condolences to you.
I did not mean...
@MI Chickie - I'm not able to check in as often as I would like, so I'm just catching up with your thread and wanted to express my condolences as well. Keeping you in thought and prayer.
@sherrymorss60 - I've been catching up with several of your latest posts and am smiling and cheering you on with how you are triumphing over challenges. Thank you for sharing. We are so proud of you and happy for you!
@Lee0521 & @Tux - just reinforcing what @Jaycey has said about "normal" waiting time for healing and progress- my surgeon said there is no normal, so stop looking for it and don't make comparisons.
Now on one level, I totally get where he is coming from. How can THR recovery be standardized...
@Zelda- it's hard to say about the stiffness and rest. I find once I get going, walking becomes easier. So while I believe rest and not overdoing it is important, for me it seems important also not to be too still for extended periods.
When I have been sitting or lying down and get up to go I...
@Zelda & @gullimac (and everyone):
Thanks for your posts. I hope things are well and that somehow, just somehow, we are gentle and kind and patient with ourselves today. I'll let you know if and when I learn to master that consistently.
I am grateful for my progress. I'm already taking some...
I wanted to add here that my surgeon said "there is no normal" with THR. He advised me of this based on my numerous inquiries of "Is this normal?" And "How about THIS - is that normal?" I completely understand the need to have a baseline. The need to monitor and to check in and make...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.