Recent content by gardengal

  1. gardengal

    THR My Story

    It sounds like you are doing about as expected. If not driving yet, probably soon? Winter was hard but you'll be in great shape by spring and probably contemplating getting the right done.
  2. gardengal

    THR gardengal made to recovery

    One year hipaversary for me! All the worry I had before this procedure, wow what a waste of energy. I spent 3 years with the diagnosis of osteoarthritis before biting the bullet & accepting surgery. I tried cortisone injection, changing exercise regime, physical therapy. Nothing worked. I...
  3. gardengal

    THR Constanze's recovery diary

    Nice to hear an update of your 2016 travels and fitness achievements. So inspiring to read that marathon distances are doable after a hip replacement. Good for you too on taking that swim course. learning and growing, have to be glad for that. I like to swim as well, but an actual class would...
  4. gardengal

    THR Constanze's recovery diary

    Congratulations on the marathon! That just makes me smile that it can be done. No running for me yet, just too scared of messing something up. I was having what I called "glitch days" where I was having anterior pinching pain that came on after sitting, but then would go away as quickly as it...
  5. gardengal

    THR gardengal made to recovery

    Well yesterday was the swim with my neighbor who recommended my surgeon to me. She has two metal hips, I have one. We did high fives out in the middle of the lake. I probably would not have gone with this particular doctor if she hadn't spoke so highly of him. I just feel so lucky that this...
  6. gardengal

    We need to save this site!

    Easy Peasy. Done. I probably wouldn't have joined this site if there had been any up front charge. Hope other people can donate too if they feel they've gotten a benefit from the site.
  7. gardengal

    THR I'm home

    Congratulations on your brand new hip! Get lots of pillows in bed with you & prop that leg up. I notice from time to time that my ankle & foot swell on my operated leg. There's no pain so it doesn't bother me but it's kind of annoying with shoes not fitting right. I have no idea, other than...
  8. gardengal

    THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

    I didn't have a nice hospital bedside table either, improvised with a bar stool. I did have one home health nurse visit, but declined the second visit. She was mainly looking to see that the house was safe, that I had help & did the initial dressing change after surgery. The home physical...
  9. gardengal

    THR gardengal made to recovery

    Just gotta brag a little b/c I'm so happy with my new hip. We were out on the lake & well it was calm. So I went water skiing, he he! Didn't do any risky moves, no crashes. I'm 6 months out. I still don't want to go running, just afraid of the pounding & jarring. Leg feels strong though. My...
  10. gardengal

    THR MiChickie gets her new hip!

    Hey Hey you made it home! It gets so much easier. Well ok the first couple days home are the hardest but it really really gets better after week one or ~day 10. I recall dealing with having to scooch/slide my bad leg out with the good foot before lowering onto the raised potty chair. Keep up...
  11. gardengal

    Wondering about the fate of postop gait

    Stopping the limp was definitely something I wanted from THR. Mostly vanity, I thought it made me look older & like I was in pain. My doctor kind of quickly answered my question about it something along the lines of "yeah it'll most likely get better, but you may still have a limp after." I...
  12. gardengal

    Stairs after THR?

    I'm sure someone will come along with a better response. For me the two steps from garage into the house were no big deal. I used one crutch & had my husband bring the other one into the house. I liked my bed. I could pile up pillows to prop my leg, just more space than a recliner, but if...
  13. gardengal

    Pain has been keeping me awake and worrying

    yay you have a date! My other hip seems to be fine. It seems like at some point along the way it was xrayed & my doctor said it looked good. When it gives me a twinge though I do worry, this surgery was expensive. You will be amazed how much better that hip's going to feel once it's done...
  14. gardengal

    THR SO excited, Hip #2 went GREAT!<

    Sounds like you are doing just fabulous! I passed on the home health nurse visits because I just didn't feel like it was necessary, the incision was clearing healing just fine. The home visits for PT were nice just to make sure I was doing proper exercises. I think a total of 4 of those, no...
  15. gardengal

    Nervous July 6th

    No post op blues. I knew it was a possibility because it's mentioned so often, but no. If anything I feel more optimistic & grateful.
Back
Top Bottom