Guest viewing is limited

THR gardengal made to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gardengal - You're way ahead of me if you're getting up off the floor! I haven't even tried getting down there, yet, much less getting up. :heehee: I sort of assumed that any attempt to sit low would break the 90* rule.
As for mall walking, if we lived closer to one (nearest is 40+ min away), I'd probably go walking there on rainy days. But it seems like such a waste of time to drive that far to go walking. But at least it would be more interesting than pacing around on our screened deck (which is where I go in rainy weather). It makes me appreciate how a lion feels pacing in his cage.
 
@Shazzstars -- I've still got the tightness in my thigh / hamstring / knee areas. I especially feel it when I first get up in the morning. I go back and forth with cane or no cane -- I'll use it to avoid any new limping. I asked a friend today about how long it took to get back to feeling normal after surgery -- he said 6 months. So I would imagine I should be more patient since I'm only at 4 weeks! I can definitely feel the difference in my two legs with the heel slide exercise (and could feel it before surgery too). Pre-surgery, I could hardly lift my knee at all - all that non-motion is going to take time to rebuild.

How are you feeling at 9 - 10 weeks? Can you feel more mobility since the 6 week mark?
 
I know what you mean @CatLady1 I really couldn't move my leg at all pre surgery, now at almost 8 weeks out movement is unbelievable. Can dry my foot fairly well after a shower now can bring my knee to hip height, before the tightness kicks in, that's really where the movement stops its that tightness. I get muscle aches in the lower thigh around the outside (ITB) and also the Hamstring, and across the top of my anterior scar when sitting for long periods.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gardengal - I know what you mean about the new pain being so minimal and different than that nagging old pain! I have really been noticing that lately now that I'm walking more. What a relief! And it will even get better from here, right? Good luck with your out patient PT! I will be starting that next week. I hope they can really analyze my gait and make sure it is getting healthier. I have a date for my other hip - March 8th. Sounds like you're making a sound recovery! :yes!:

@CatLady1- Congrats on that fresh, new conversation on your walks up the street with hubby! A small thing, but also a Milestone! That muscle tightness does move around, doesn't it? I guess those kinks will smooth out with time. Keep up the good work!

Hi @Shazzstars - Dealing with that tightness in the thigh, too. Guess it's part of the healing process. I'm tempted to get a good massage soon to maybe help that out a bit. Wishing you a continued good recovery!
 
@Readysetgo - My neighbor (who's a nurse for an Orthopedics practice) advised to massage, massage, massage, the area (suggested self massaging where you can.) Here's wishing us all a great recovery.
 
@Readysetgo you have another hip to go.. gee you wont know yourself.
My girlfriend is a remedial therapist and I cant wait to get a massage but will wait until I see my Surgeon on the 2nd March and get the all clear off the crutches. So its self massage at the moment which helps:martini:
 
Hi @gardengal ,
I've been following your thread and I think you're doing great. Did I understand correctly that you were walking short distances (about 20 steps) without your crutches on day 9!? I couldn't do that until week 3 1/2:) because my left thigh muscles were just too atrophied after all this time with arthritis. I even limped occasionally after 6 weeks, especially after physical effort and when it was cold. However, now both my legs are the same strength and are just fine.
I also respect people who cope with winter recovery. I had a spring/summer recovery and the continued rise in temperature and the vegetation waking up (green leaves, change in the blossoms) helped me a lot - physically and psychologically. However, winter is rather dull in the Rhine-Main area near Frankfurt. Sometimes I wonder whether I'd feel better if I experienced a real "winter wonder land" with snow, sledding, snow-ball fights. Here we have temperatures that fluctuate around freezing point, but then it hardly ever snows. It's just dull, dry and overcast - the kind of whether that encourages SAD. But now that spring is starting, you will experience a most amazing improvement with your hip. And: by the way, not everybody has post op blues. I had those crying fits before surgery, post surgery, I was much better. Enjoy your new hip. All the best for you - Constanze
 
@Constanze Nice to hear from you. You are coming up on your one year hip anniversary. Good to know that both legs have regained equal strength. My left hip flexors are definitely not all recovered. The op side is still a bit cranky. Not as in painful, but just weaker & just doesn't want to lift as quickly as the good hip. According to my husband I still limp a bit, but I don't feel it or notice it like before the surgery. I'm so happy I bit the bullet & did this surgery! It's wonderful to go out for a walk & not hurt. No more arthritis medicine! I went for my 2 month check up yesterday & everything is fine. No more check ups for a year. I'm so looking forward to spring. Last fall I was able to haul in some very heavy planters & I recalled wondering how I'd manage to repot up my rather huge burgmansias in he spring. It's not going to be a problem, everything feels better & maneuvering if anything is better now than it was before hip surgery. I'm curious about your running, do you still head out? How many miles is a comfortable distance? Just a trot to cross quickly in front of traffic is not exactly smooth for me yet. Even though I'd love to hit my old routes there is just no way I could jog them. For now walking is good enough. Spring is coming early for us here in northern MI. 61 degrees F is going to feel great, but it's not typical for this time of year. We should still be skiing, but our snow is going fast. I am enjoying my new hip & would love to hear your exercise regime to see what I can look forward to. Michelle
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gardengal
Wow 61 degrees, that's nice and warm. Warmer than over here in Germany were we still have temperatures below freezing at night (I'm jealous :)).

Yes, indeed in week No 14, I slowly started running again without overdoing it - practiced the run-walk-run method in my lunch hour in the nearby forest were I used to run with colleagues from work. Then, I slowly increased the distance. On December 31, I felt comfortable to join the 12 km race in my home village, and on Feb. 21, I finished the winter half marathon in Mörfelden, another small town between my home village and my workplace Langen (near Frankfurt). The entire route is in the forest and flat - very comfortable. I took 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete the race. However, at the time, it was warmer than today, and it was raining. That helps with running. A slow and comfortable 10 km in the forest is a running distance after which I now no longer feel exhausted.

You can read a more detailed update in the thread of Granny Di in my post of March 3. You will carry on getting better and better. Keep up the good work. I'd enjoy reading from you again.

Hugs - Constanze
 
@Constanze slow comfortable 10k in the forest sounds amazing! I really am not sure about restarting the running. I'm at week 9 it would be great to do it again but right now I'm afraid of jarring that new implant. Maybe staying on really soft surfaces & wearing the most cushioned shoes possible. I really don't know about entering races either, afraid I might push too hard. I'm pretty sure the pushing through pain & running on a hip that was screaming sped up my need for surgery, even though my surgeon wouldn't blame the running specifically. Are ground is still frozen & the temps dip down into 20's at night too so don't be jealous. We are just having a blip of early spring temps. Off to find Granny Di's thread. Michelle
 
Hi Michelle, (@gardengal ),
our ground is still frozen at night, too. There's no snow, but the wind is chilly. At least the sun is shining. Did another comfortable 10.75 K in the forest. I feel fine. No pain, no eshaustion. The conservative opinion here is also that they recommend no running post op. But I have a desk job - I'm a translator and work in the office 8 hours a day. Little time for exercise like going to the gym or the swimming pool. On the other hand, the forest next to work comes in very useful, I just put my running shoes on and off I go - no long drive to the gym. Then I go back to the office and do some more work. I actually use the running to control my weight. I can't control my weight by dieting, I just enjoy eating so much. But the few months pre-op and the first 13 weeks post-op, I didn't run. I stuck to swimming, cycling and the gym (that's hard now, because I've got more work than previously). An I actually gained weight despite all the exercise. Now, I'm back to normal, but my legs have never been so strong. Amazing what this hip replacement did. Actually, I'm used to running and did 10 marathons. Every individual is different. But I don't push hard, and after a race, I give myself a good rest. Carry on getting better and stronger. Week 9 is early days - see what you feel like at week 12! Good luck - Constanze
 
@Constanze Thanks for the encouraging words. Running has always worked for me too as far as controlling weight. When I was running & working to improve my times is when I really felt I looked my best. I really have not found a good replacement for the running that works to keep my weight where I'd like it. I actually had my bike out over the weekend. March is very early to be riding a bike where I live. So nice to not have the aching pain after like I did before surgery. I'd have loved to have gotten the marathon under my belt before all this arthritis kicked in. I'd done a couple half marathons thinking a full would be up next but my hip said "no way". Having done 10 marathons is a real commitment to keeping very fit over quite a span of years, pretty impressive to not lose focus! It sounds like now though you give yourself good recovery time after the longer runs. There is a site called hiprunner.com where all sorts of people report running after their hip replacements. I'm still not quite sure what to think. Part of me wants to do exactly what I'd like & go run & part of me says it'd be foolish to take chances & risk loosening up that implant prematurely. Just doing an easy 10k though doesn't seem excessive & everyone does have to decide what is going to work for themselves. I'm sure your doctor understands where you are coming from and hopefully doesn't discourage you. Take care, and savor those forest trails.
 
[Bonesmart.org] gardengal made to recovery
This is a picture of my arthritic femur. This worn out thing was scraping around in there causing all sorts of pain. It's gone & my hip feels great now. This might be too gross for some, sorry I don't know how to put a warning on there. Quick click off if it makes you queasy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gardengal . I'm very pleased to read a message from you again. My femur probably looked worse than yours - they said I had "grade 4 arthritis" and zero cartilage left.

What's the weather like where you are? It's beautiful today and the bike season has started again. I went to work on my bike. Also went jogging a number of times with my daughter during our one-week holiday in southern England last week. She's 27 and runs fast. But keeping up with her is more of a breathing and heart rate (cardio) thing. My legs are doing fine. I'm familiar with hiprunner and that website encouraged me. Especially one Japanese woman who lives in England and does half-marathons. So I did a winter half marathon in February in 2 hours 15 minutes. You may have read about it.

I also did a bit of gardening yesterday. The tulips looked nice in April but now they are slowly wilting and I had to make room for the summer flowers. Planted some bulbs for some gladiola and sowed seed for some anemonies. 2 of my little white anemonies are already blossoming. But gardening is hard. It's more strain on my legs than running but I'm doing fine.

Take care

Constanze
 
@Constanze We are having the most beautiful spring weather now. Our daffodils & tulips are blooming. I was able to spend sometime cleaning out the flower beds over the weekend. My anenomies are not yet blooming, they are not the bulb type, they're the herbaceous perennial type & they spread which is nice. So I'm excited about what's popping up outdoors. We went morel mushroom hunting yesterday, didn't find many it seemed early, maybe too dry. Rain will help.
I plan to ride my bike to & from my daughters soccer practice tonight it'll be just about 10 miles. I'd be very pleased with a 2 hr 15 min half marathon. When I was trying to increase my mileage & thinking of a marathon I was never able to break a two hr half marathon. So I was never very fast, but it was a form of exercise that I enjoyed & it worked good for keeping the weight off. That's great that you get to run with your daughter, and that it's only breathing that hinders you rather than a bum hip. My daughter is 8 & she's slow now (likes to take walk breaks) so really I ought to give outdoor running a try. Just still reluctant to actually run at just over 4 months. Af One of my stints on the treadmill caused aching & I didn't like that. So for now biking is the thing.
Have a nice day all bonesmarties!
 
Just gotta brag a little b/c I'm so happy with my new hip. We were out on the lake & well it was calm. So I went water skiing, he he! Didn't do any risky moves, no crashes. I'm 6 months out. I still don't want to go running, just afraid of the pounding & jarring. Leg feels strong though. My limp is gone.

Now the dentist annoyance. gah! Has anyone been told they can't have their teeth cleaned for 6 months after surgery? My surgeon gave me a preprinted sheet saying I DIDN"T need to take prophylactic antibiotics before cleanings. Nothing about waiting 6 months. I half suspect my dentist made that up b/c they were so unnerved by the no antibiotic instruction. I know that for many the recommendation is to take the antibiotics prior, but this note from my surgeon said with the increase of antibiotic resistant germs & some other talk of questionable effectiveness it isn't recommended to take them. Well this was all new to my dentist & she was having none of it & I didn't get my teeth cleaned after all the round & round.
 
Seems like your dentist is of the opposite opinion of the ADA, which feels there is no need for antibiotics for general dental work. And your OS is agreeing with the ADA. With that said, I do remember my OS said 6 months from surgery before going for any dental cleaning, etc. But, he also wants me to take antibiotics before any dental work, even cleaning, for 2 years. I do wish everyone would get on the same page with this issue. It is so frustrating.
BTW...congrats on your water skiing outing!
 
I just asked both my OS and my PCP what their opinion was on antibiotics before dental work. Both said it is no longer recommended, but they also said its better to be safe than sorry. My OS said one dose (I have a call into him to find out the dosage) and hour before any dental work and my PCP said one dose (2,000 Mg's) an hour before and one dose (1,000 Mg's) four or five hours after. Neither one said I should wait any length of time, but since Imwill only be due for a cleaning, im going to wait six months just in case.
 
I had my teeth cleaned 3+ months after THR and called in to the OS to get a prescription. I took it an hour before the appointment -- was told I'll always need to do this. I rarely take any antibiotics, so if this is what I have to do to have no hip pain, and can now enjoy whatever activities... I guess that's a small price to pay.
Now, hopefully I can just remember to do this. The dentist did say once they knew what the prescription was, they could call it in for me. From what I remember, it was Keflex.
 
My OS just called and he recommends Clindamyacin (sp) 300 Mg's one hour before any dental work. Boy, so many different doctor's opinions!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom