Pain has been keeping me awake and worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Rutabaga!
I'm 15 days post-op (anterior method) and to be honest with you, I feel as though in a week or two, I'd be able to go back to work (I'm 62 as of yesterday and other than a little walking here and there, I've sat on my bazooka for the past 10 years). Of course our recoveries are unique to each of us (and I still take pain meds 3 times a day), but I thought I'd share and give you a glimmer of hope for an easy and speedy recovery. I've found the brain drain to be more of a problem than the actual physical drain (but I'm not pushing myself very hard physically...no PT either). Hope this helps. :-)
 
@Rutabaga My best wishes for a speedy recovery!! I hope you'll keep us updated, I'll be rooting for you from here! I'm hoping for a relatively quick break from work for the surgery, too. It sounds like you have a pretty good ST disability plan, mine is only for 60% from the start. :shrug: I've got a little Hippie fund going.

I have no idea which approach my surgeon will use. I'm drafting an email with a couple questions for him, but not worried as I just want it fixed. I had a bit of a time finding a surgeon who didn't want me to wait for years and years, so approach isn't the top concern for me.

@Cynthia777 Yes, you've given me a bit of hope, too! Although I have put the surgery off for a couple months, I can't wait to get on with my life! :dancy:
 
the fact that I'm having anterior approach THR will help me have a fast recovery.
The approach used will not have any impact on the length of your recovery. No one can predict how you will react to this surgery. But I can confirm 6 weeks is very early to be trying to go back full time. Part of recovery is the Energy drain for THRs . It's real and you just can't fight it.
 
Hi All! :wave:

Been a while for me, but I've been quietly reading about you all. I went and dug up my old post so we could reacquaint if needed.... I'm getting close now :yay: to my surgery date!
I've got lots going on around the house, trying to get my little ones prepared, and making plans for my helpers. Just had my pre-surgery physical and bloodwork done up this week! It's really happening!

My soon-to-be operative hip is terribly achy and what's worse (hmmm, isn't that an odd saying, is it really worse? It is bad, but worse...not sure) is the other side is starting up. When should I go for x-rays on it? I haven't had that side looked at yet, but was told by one doc that I'd probably need it replaced as well. I'm planning on working right up until the weekend before my upgrade, but wow this is starting to take a toll!

Looking forward to reading about your journeys and supporting each other.
 
Hi @MI Chickie! Welcome back!
I'm so sorry both of your hips are giving you fits! When I began having pain in one hip, my PCP ordered an MRI on both hips and lo and behold they both needed replacing. Maybe a call to your OS is in order? Hopefully your "good" hip is bothering you because it's taking over for your "bad" hip. :-)
 
When should I go for x-rays on it?
Well if your OS has already confirm that this hip will also need replacing I guess it's just a matter of when. In my experience not waiting until you are in mega-pain means a less complicated recovery. But I agree with Cynthia - see if the first replacement eases this.
 
yay you have a date! My other hip seems to be fine. It seems like at some point along the way it was xrayed & my doctor said it looked good. When it gives me a twinge though I do worry, this surgery was expensive. You will be amazed how much better that hip's going to feel once it's done. You'll need some extra help those first few days home, but really you'll be surprised how quick the recovery goes. I recall being frustrated about kitchen work on a tired ,sore, healing hip that first month but by month 2 that was totally forgotten. You are young you'll bounce back quick.
 
Well if your OS has already confirm that this hip will also need replacing I guess it's just a matter of when. In my experience not waiting until you are in mega-pain means a less complicated recovery. But I agree with Cynthia - see if the first replacement eases this.

This "confirmation" came from the first OS I saw, the one who said if I could make it through a grocery store, then I should wait for a replacement. I've not yet had x-ray or MRI of the right hip, so why he would say so, very matter of factly, was the last straw for my keeping him on. I do think it makes sense that I'd be a higher risk for second replacement, but to say so for sure? Does ever person who gets one, get both? I had a sense that I'd get some pain since the good side bears more of everything, I get popping noises but so far not much loss of ROM. I thought maybe just lack of muscle tone, since I haven't been feeling up to exercise. What concerns me is the deep set pain I feel most at night, when I stop moving. Is that the bone on bone ache, I just am never sure how to describe that pain.

this surgery was expensive.
Exactly! My thinking is, well my deductible will be met this year, so I might as well see if I need the other done too! My OS had a bit of a wait time for surgery, too, so if the other is needed, I want to get the ball rolling. I do not want to get to the point of this pain again.:groan: Think I'll give yet another call to the NP at the OS office next week! The poor woman must think I'm a loon! :spin:
 
Hi! I too have surgery upcoming very soon- first of June. - when I originally went in to the OS he said both hips were bad enough to warrant THR and it was up to me if I wanted to do both. I decided to book both in and could move the second one if I didn't feel it was needed then but coming up to the surgery (5 months between booking and surgery date) and my left hip feels worse. ROM is horrendous and feels almost equal to my right now. I think it's definitely worth mentioning to your OS and getting some scans and see when you can book in if it suits your health insurance too. Best of luck!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@MI Chickie Hi Bilateral Jim here from MI. and living In the Pacific Northwest. July2nd will be two years for me and enjoying life. All your friends here are going to give you good ideas, pick the ones that seem right to you. Being from Mich. doing it sooner than later will give you a chance at walking normal and being stronger for the winter months. 14 weeks after my surgery i flew back to Mi. and walked in a parade honoring my championship football team at Olivet College without a limp. Good Luck!
 
@Michegon Thanks, Jim. I'm calling to set up an appt tomorrow. I don't know how my OS will approach the wait between surgeries if the other joint does indeed look ready for an upgrade. We shall see. I do know that I don't want to get to one finish line only to be suffering too long through another bout. I want my life and normal walk back.

So awesome for you to have been able to walk the parade! That must've been a great day in more ways than one!
 
I think you are being very wise in getting the other hip checked. I knew going in that I needed both hips done, so I was able to plan accordingly. It would be such a let down to get one hip done only to find out you need them both done. Hopefully your other hip is good and it's just the added stress on it that's making it hurt. Hugs!
 
In the midst of these somewhat manic final days before "hip upgrade day", I've actually had a good day today! Got some cleaning up done that I really haven't been feeling up to, did a little shopping (got some new shoes and fabulous new pj pants, really they're so soft! I must give them a test wear before recovery time :loll:) and even went to a dear friend's daughter's graduation party.
Days like this seem few and far between.
I've got a little wait time before I can get the "good" hip looked at:groan:. Brain fog is really setting in! Among other things, I forgot to put my gym membership on hold so I have to pay for this month :oyvey:. And just found out I'll have to train the temp worker that will fill in for me right before I go out! :holysheep: My manager has been very nice, though, and says I should give a shout if this becomes too much.
My countdown app says only 15 more days!
 
Not too many days now @MI Chickie! Oh yes, the dreaded "brain fog"! I found I couldn't concentrate for a minute a couple of weeks before my surgery date. Now my memory has eroded and I'm finding it difficult to get back into the swing of things. This journey can really consume every waking minute of your life. I'm so happy you've been able to enjoy getting some shopping done. Shopping and then preparing my lady lair really helped keep my pre-op nerves at bay. I'm excited for you and will be praying for you. xoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ticking more days of the calendar.... the nerves are something awful, trying my best to stay busy and keep them in check.
A friend built a fire pit in my backyard today while I did some supervisory support. "Yep, that looks great!", from my chair. :cool: We also picked up some flowers to plant and oooohhh the deals we got at the flower market! They had a seedling tray of beautiful coleus plants (pretty reddish and green leafy ones) for only $5! What's a seedling tray? Well, its what they start the seed off in before transferring to the "flat" to sell. There's only 512 plants in a seedling tray. 512!!! I'm not sure what we were thinking, but we had a laugh and are still trying to find people to give little pots of plants to! :flwrysmile:
I brought the walker out from his banishment in the shed. Not really sure why I've dreaded seeing it in the house, but I have. Got it all nice and shiny. I think I'll call it "Texas Ranger." :wink:

The stiffness today was pretty bad, nearly locking up at work after too long a sit. Seems I'm much better off with variation of movement but then, not too much. Such a touchy balance to try to stay out of pain.
 
HI @MI Chickie!
Oh yes, those days before surgery are grueling! I found the pain pre-op to be a good thing because all my doubts about moving forward were washed away AND it made the post-op pain seem much more tolerable. I had no doubts I had made the right decision. :-) I'm rooting for you my friend!
ONLY 512 plants? "Texas Ranger" will so enjoy rolling around them...:rofsign:
 
Absolutely agree with @Cynthia777 - the preOp pain is pretty intolerable but also a huge reminder about what and why we are proceeding with surgery. I found myself in tears so many times just ahead of mine and when the day arrived I was just so grateful to finally be able to get things resolved. Nothing could be worse than what I was experiencing. And the Texas Ranger will be a close and constant friend soon (love that name!) All will be well and BS is always there for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom