Nervous July 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Royal1383 we were all in the scary space you are in when first diagnosed - making every excuse in the book to avoid surgery. Quite honestly all the "risks" you are finding are extremely unlikely to happen to you.
I wonder sometimes if I should keep the hip I was born with and deal with the arthritis
I did this for 3+ years before seeing someone about my left hip pain. By that time the joint had collapsed. Believe me, you do not want to go through that pain.

If you do decide to wait for your surgery just know that the longer you wait the chances for a longer, more complicated recovery increase. My LTHR recovery took over 12 months. Not wanting to go through that again I ran to the surgeon when my right hip started to complain. That recovery was literally weeks.
 
Please friends, read this and let me know what you think!
I think that as with any forum you will find people with problems tend to gravitate to an area of the forum and stay until either their problem is solved or that no longer wish to deal with the issue. Yes, there are risks of dislocation post THR. But as we have already advised the risk is minimal. One thread on the internet does not mean everyone will have the same experience.

If you read that link you posted you will see many of the posters had more complex issues resulting in their need for THR. In some cases THR may not have resolved the problem or perhaps their surgeon did not have the experience with their particular issue.

Do you trust your surgeon? How many THRs does your surgeon perform a year? How long have they been in practice? Has your surgeon indicated that you have any more complex issues in your hip?
 
Thanks Jaycey for your explanation. My surgeon does 3 a day, 4 days a week. I have arthritis in the hip and they are surprised I am still walking around. No other hip issues noted and my left hip is really good, which surprised the doctor due to my favoring that side. I am just nervous so I am reaching out here.
 
Well your surgeon sounds like a good one and thousands of patients have THR to treat arthritis. You are very lucky that you are not in more pain if they are surprised you are still walking.

Keep reading around this forum. Share your concerns with other members. It really does help! The more you know about what will happen the better you will feel going into surgery. I was a major basket case when I first found BoneSmart. With the help of this site I was totally calm by the time my op day arrived.

You are going to sail through this!
 
Just thought I would add my thoughts to this. I'm due my right hip replacement on June 8th and have also been extremely nervous. In my case I have an added complication, in that I had a small stroke back in April 2015. It was a bleed rather than a clot and I feel extremely luck to have got off so lightly. I had no real risk factors apart from some high blood pressure, which is probably hereditary. I knew, prior to this that I was in line for a hip replacement at some point, but the stroke took precedence for a while and I was understandably anxious about surgery. However, I have been told many times by different medical people that it was just bad luck and that I should get on and get the hip done. I have decided to believe them! I feel I've had a second chance at life and I should do everything I can to get the most out of it. @Miss Muffet I second everything you say!
@Royal1383 I know how horrible the anxiety is and all the thoughts of "what if?" but I've decided I just need to get on and get it done. If I can do it so can you!
 
Royal. I had those same thoughts that I could cope with the arthritis. Worried that I'd come out worse off than what I went in. Was this going to be the thing that causes a cascade of medical treatments & procedures that land me in a wheelchair? It wasn't. It's been great! I have a super hard time making big decisions & boy am I glad I bit the bullet & did this. My new hip allows me to move that leg so much better than I ever could before. You know that age test where you sit cross legged on the floor & see if you can get back up using no hands? I couldn't do that before, heck sitting on the floor in any position was almost impossible, well can pass that test now. Limp is gone. Leg strength is back. There is no visible sign that I have an artificial hip except for the scar. They have this surgery down pat. Try to think how nice it'll be without the pain & limitations you are enduring now. My preop thread is titled feel like a ninny who can't decide, covers all the angst & indecision I felt. Good luck, I agree with Jaycey, poke around on this site, read the positive outcomes. it helps.
 
@gardengal I have been exploring this forum and read some post op regarding depression. Did you experience any of this? Seems like many have emotional issues after surgery:what::scratch::scratch:
 
https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hip-dislocation-after-total-hip-replacement-39520
This thread is the one that has me concerned. Please friends, read this and let me know what you think!
I can see why that thread would make you scared! I'm glad it wasn't the first thing I found when I started looking for information.

Reading it I notice it's quite an old thread which has 29 people in 4 years suffering dislocation. Think about how many successful THRs have been performed in those 4 years. Also, some of the information is simply incorrect, especially the person who says that dislocation isn't rare and that you can't find out about it because surgeons don't record dislocation. There are lots of studies into dislocation rates, some of them looking at specific implants, some really technical stuff about different approaches and ways of placing the implants and some which give an overview of the whole lot.

Most importantly, I think if your surgeon is doing 12 THRs a week he knows what he is doing. Talk to him about your fears.
 
@gardengal I have been exploring this forum and read some post op regarding depression. Did you experience any of this? Seems like many have emotional issues after surgery:what::scratch::scratch:

No post op blues. I knew it was a possibility because it's mentioned so often, but no. If anything I feel more optimistic & grateful.
 
The post-op blues are a possibility, not an inevitability. I never experienced it either.

Keep in mind that people who don't experience particular issues aren't going to talk about them. I mean, if people are discussing post-op blues and I say that it never happened to me, how is that helpful to them?
 
@Royal1383 I have had both knees replaced and waiting for my RTHR on July 6. I suffered a little from post-op blues on each op. For me it's mostly biochemical as I have a panic attack disorder; I just recognize what is going on and let it go away. I have learned that recovery takes time and I have to do my part in recovery to make it successful. My goal for this surgery is to be able to walk well for a trip we are taking to Britain in May 2017.
Being as prepared as we can physically and emotionally is important. There are what-to-get-ready lists on Bonesmart that help -- I installed a new squishy seat and handles on our elevated toilet (totally essential) this weekend. I try to do jobs that I know will be difficult for a while post-op. I like the house to be in good enough shape to last about four weeks --so if you are putting off house jobs now is the time to do them or they will drive you nuts while you are recovering. I even have a new washer and dryer picked out as mine is 19 years old and who knows when it will finally give out.... Do positive things...
Create a comfortable place to hang-out where everything is in easy reach and a clear path to the bathroom and kitchen. Allow others to help you....
 
Is a spinal block and sedation better than general? Please reply with the experiences you had. I am leaning toward spinal
 
I've experienced both forms of anaesthetic. My preference is definately spinal and sedation. I will request that for my second hip replacement. It felt like a nice rest, no memories and no grogginess. I can only stress the importance of talking to your anaesthetist and letting him/her know what is important to you. I said I was nervous about the spinal being administered - so he sedated me ahead of that. I said I didn't want to see the Theatre, to see, hear or smell anything - I had zero memory of any of that. I said I didn't want to feel nauseous or be sick. Again all managed perfectly. It is important that we, as patients, work with the medics so they understand us - then they can deal effectively with our requirements. Have a look at my recovery thread and you'll see that mine worked like a dream. You're asking all the right questions - keep it up, that way you'll feel informed and in control and that will make a whole heap of difference to the whole event and your recovery. Best wishes!
 
@Miss Muffet I thought you had to be awake for the spinal because they ask you if you are numb. This is what my wife told me from when she gave birth
 
When I had mine, they did the spinal first, checked I was numb and then gave me the sedative to make me sleep. It was very quick. I had to sit up for the spinal, I felt a warm rush through my back and legs and they had me lie back down. Then they checked if I could feel my legs (nope, not at all!), put an oxygen mask over me and gave me the sedative. I remember being told I was getting the sedative and that's it until they woke me up.
 
@Royal1383, giving birth and having a hip replacement a two completely different animals. However, if you want to be awake with a spinal for a hip replacement, your doctor might allow it. Most of us choose to be sedated also. Apparently the anesthesiologist knows how to keep your lower half completely numb for the full time of surgery---and sometimes you'll still be numb for awhile after being returned to your room from recovery.

I had general anesthesia for my hip replacement and a spinal with sedation for my knees----I vote for spinal with sedation---less side effects for most of us.
 
I totally understand your fears, having second surgery tomorrow and fears are back, but not nearly as much because I know what to expect now. Hoping you find peace!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom