Guest viewing is limited

THR gardengal made to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gotta brag a little b/c I'm so happy with my new hip. We were out on the lake & well it was calm. So I went water skiing, he he! Didn't do any risky moves, no crashes. I'm 6 months out. I still don't want to go running, just afraid of the pounding & jarring. Leg feels strong though. My limp is gone.

Now the dentist annoyance. gah! Has anyone been told they can't have their teeth cleaned for 6 months after surgery? My surgeon gave me a preprinted sheet saying I DIDN"T need to take prophylactic antibiotics before cleanings. Nothing about waiting 6 months. I half suspect my dentist made that up b/c they were so unnerved by the no antibiotic instruction. I know that for many the recommendation is to take the antibiotics prior, but this note from my surgeon said with the increase of antibiotic resistant germs & some other talk of questionable effectiveness it isn't recommended to take them. Well this was all new to my dentist & she was having none of it & I didn't get my teeth cleaned after all the round & round.

Wow!!! Water skiing... I love it!! I was watching some kite-surfers this week myself and wondering if I could take that up.. ha.. Good for you fo sure!...

On the dentist thing, I've had my teeth cleaned twice since my surgery. I was told 2 different ways to take the antibiotics, one way by my OS, the other by my dentist. I actually listened to the dentist on this one, as both of these guys are pretty head strong, and the dentist is the one I deal with for the dental... its all good though, and I'm not real concerned at all, after all I've read, as either way, and apparently none at all are seeming all acceptable, depending on whom you talk to.... So... I take 4 antibiotics(500mg ea.=2000mg's.) 1 hr. before my dental appt. The dentist also told me I only need to do that for 2 yrs.... so... at this point, that's what I'm going with. My OS had me taking pills for 2 days... same dosage spread out.

I'll probably question my OS in the future again, just for reference sake, as they are all learning and changing as well... With the dental, I was quite surprised, and pleased I have no cavities, even though I have some previous fillings, and previous dental work(some bridge work, etc..)..but I'd just let alot go with everything I was dealing with from my hip... so I'm very fortunate. I'm now getting my teeth cleaned religously every 6 months... and I can tell a big diff in my bite, and my gums are now very healthy, whereas I had quite a bit of inflamation and such... So... I'm very comfortable biting into big burgers, and all the things I shouldn't be eating... I am watching my diet carefully these days though.. so no big burgers like I used to get(OK..I sneak once a month or so if that...)... but its all good.. Dental work is good, I'm once again a believer. Good luck with whatever you go with. :)
 
Congratulations on the water skiing. My OS is aware of the new information, (he has it posted on his website,) but he still wants us to take antibiotics for two years after the surgery. My dentist combined my cleaning and dental work in one visit, so that I only had to take the antibiotics once. He has us take 2000 mg of amoxicillin one hour before the work. My teeth are doing well now, so I think I will just go once a year. (instead of every six months.)
 
So glad garden gal that it's all going so well. I don't think I have to confidence for waterskiing but good on you. I'm not running don't want jarring either.
I'm 6mths out too and need to visit the dentist, I received a print from my OS about dental procedures and antibiotics my OS father is a dentist and he said the have big debates about taking antibiotics or not taking them. The print out states to have amoxicillin 500mg.
 
Well yesterday was the swim with my neighbor who recommended my surgeon to me. She has two metal hips, I have one. We did high fives out in the middle of the lake. I probably would not have gone with this particular doctor if she hadn't spoke so highly of him. I just feel so lucky that this all turned out so good. Love my new hip, often forget that it's artificial. I'm thinking more about starting up running a bit. I've done a couple very short 1.5 mile jogs with no issues. So anyways life is good. I still think about bone smart & all the help I received when this was such a looming concern back at the time. Hope the site stays on.
 
One year hipaversary for me! All the worry I had before this procedure, wow what a waste of energy. I spent 3 years with the diagnosis of osteoarthritis before biting the bullet & accepting surgery. I tried cortisone injection, changing exercise regime, physical therapy. Nothing worked. I limped & hurt a lot over those three years. Crouching down to get things out of low cabinets used to be such an aggravation. None of it, no limp, no pain, no limitations really. No more pitying looks and questions, "what's wrong why are you limping?" Of course I'm cautious, getting up on a ladder isn't something I really do too often. I will down hill ski once it isn't so dang cold. It's only going to get to 11 degrees today, so not this weekend. I blow the snow, jog on my treadmill, ride my indoor bike. This is just me bragging and so glad I did this surgery. It has given me back pain free ambulation and opened the door to getting back to a better level of fitness that had declined during those painful years. Hope all the other bonesmarties that are at or coming to their 1 year mark are happy with their results too.
 
Great update @gardengal ! So glad you are seeing the benefits of this surgery. Long may it continue!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom