Recent content by debkakes

  1. debkakes

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    Hello halloo! I have a little story. I got my RTHR in August 2014. In June 2015, I was feeling so great, my husband I did a two day 75-mi bike ride. Not sure if that was the reason, but I started feeling subtle pain in my R hip. Told my surgeon at the 1 year check up, he said I had tendinitis...
  2. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    I probably should have told my surgeon about this a long time ago -- I am 3 years with my left HR, Zimmer unit, very successful surgery. I have no pain, and am a relatively active person. My hip does clunk, though, but only in the following circumstance: when I am lying down, raise my leg to 90...
  3. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    All is well all around. It took me a while to get my muscle strength back on target. All the pain I was feeling was due to lack of exercise, plus cold and wet weather we are not used to these days on the central coast in CA. I am back on target, and today went on my first bike ride. It felt...
  4. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    16 weeks, and I have a mixed report. I took a 3-week trip to visit my family, and proceeded to eat too much and not get much exercise, and basically completely neglected my PT. Now, at 4 months, I am more uncomfortable, less strong, and in more diverse pain than at 3 months. I am sort of...
  5. debkakes

    THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

    Great to hear your progress, @cthipster! I just passed 6 weeks, only use my cane on long walks, but am still ultra-aware of my gait and slight limp. Muscles are definitely still weak, adductors and quads especially. I am clear to start swimming laps as soon as I am able, so gonna head to the...
  6. debkakes

    THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

    Sounds like everything is going great for you @muckingabout! You are about 1.5 weeks ahead of me, but I have the 90-degree restriction (and I feel it). Every time I do my PT I detect greater flexibility. At my 6-week check up, my OS did x-rays and doodled my leg around, said no need for 3 or 6...
  7. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    Ooops, I guess it's been a while since I posted my progress! 6 weeks today I returned home from the hospital. 1. Mostly walking around the house without assistance. Have to watch my gait constantly, though, to keep from dipping to one side. 2. PT progressing really well. Land and aqua, with...
  8. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    Thanks for the advice, Carriemay! I will bring a little chair to sit upon (since I cannot get down to the ground and back up again without pain and/or high comedy) and just enjoy the ocean from a comfy place near the parking lot! So at 3 week anniversary and beginning my fourth week of...
  9. debkakes

    THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

    If you can't share the driving with someone on a 7-hr drive, I'd plan for one 15 minute stop per hour or so to stretch. You know your energy level is improving day by day, so by mid October you should be good for big trip. I say that hopefully, as I am flying from CA to Upstate NY mid-October to...
  10. debkakes

    THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

    I had a really hard time with leg lifts and clamshells last time I tried. But I am about to head to the bedroom and try 'em again. It IS amazing how things that felt impossible a week ago are doable now. Another thing I've noticed is that walking feels easier and better after walking for awhile...
  11. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    Took a really nice 3/4 mile walk today using my cane. Was a little pooped, for sure, esp. with a session of PT right after. Took a nap, my first one in days (I have been resting, but not napping). I'm going to try driving this weekend, I think I am ready for short trips out (romantic walks on...
  12. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    Thanks, I don't take it amiss, Jo. I had some very painful adhesion last surgery, and I just want to be cautious this time. I know the body mostly knows what to do all by itself. I am grateful for the way my suture is healing up, the human body is a beautiful thing! So many milestones every day...
  13. debkakes

    THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

    Wow! @cthipster I just found your recovery thread and it could totally be my doppelgänger!! My left THR 2 years ago: GA left me nauseous and weak for 16 hours, then my red blood cell count was super low and I couldn't do any PT for 2.5 days. Spent the first week home just recovering from that...
  14. debkakes

    THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

    @muckingabout congrats on getting a good night's sleep! It is HUGELY important to the healing process, all the little nanobots are working the night away knitting us back together body and mind. We had a family of raccoons (mama and 3 babies) visit our deck outside the bedroom early this AM...
  15. debkakes

    Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

    Question: My staples were removed last Wednesday and the surgical site is healing well. HOWEVER, my skin is quite hard around the suture. My PT told me to gently massage around the suture site (not directly on) to prevent adhesion (I had a real problem with that last surgery). Is there anything...
Back
Top Bottom