Recent content by BoryMcDune

  1. BoryMcDune

    What kind of hip though?

    hi @mcopt - you asked what to expect and what to look forward to. After 5 years of declining health in my hips (left hip mostly) I pulled the plug and told my "soon to be OS" it was finally time for surgery. In hindsight I waited too long as I had slowly backed away from many activities...
  2. BoryMcDune

    THR my new hips

    @Gone again To concur with your new opinion after camping and the other reports ... 'uneven ground is new territory'. I was quite surprised last week in my first post-LTHR foray into the forest (mature boreal forest, recently logged areas, restored sites after industrial disturbance) how...
  3. BoryMcDune

    THR 15 Mo Post Op continued glute pain - ART?<

    @JudyM So my continued adductor pain at 3 mo post LTHR seems very minor in comparison (you could also suggest impatience on my part). Most of my PT has targeted 'no-pain' strength exercises focused on glut med and glut min to fix my walking gait and add strength for recovery to add other sports...
  4. BoryMcDune

    THR BoryMcDune in recovery

    Today is my 3 month anniversary since LTHR. Like Game of Thrones, "winter is here" with our first snowfall .. but this one won't last. General health = no swelling for past month, no need for ice or painkillers, general stiffness when sitting or immobile for a period, some lingering pain. My...
  5. BoryMcDune

    THR Left 2013 - Now the right

    Hey @dougie0216 - day 49 for me. Looks like we are walking ~ the same distances as I just did a ~ 5 km walk through the local ravine / forest today followed by stretching and some PT exercises .. then ice. My golden retriever is 12 ... I guess my speed is recovered as I am mostly in front of...
  6. BoryMcDune

    THR my new hips

    LOL ... yes I am losing my paisley blue cane all the time too now that I have past 6 weeks post-surgery. I also have tall wooden walking stick (more like a Gandalf cane for Tolkien fans) which I have used around the home - its big enough that I can't lose it but a little too obvious for simple...
  7. BoryMcDune

    THR BoryMcDune in recovery

    37 days post surgery and had my ~ 6 week doctor visit. I got one of those looks when I told the PT I was doing ~ 8 km walking a day (usually 2 km at a time). When I described how I monitor things she was a little more satisfied. This is where I say forearm crutches are the best ... you have...
  8. BoryMcDune

    THR my new hips

    @Gone again Glad to here things are progressing and you are now outside doing a few things. I was green lighted to drive again today as well. I have had a few slips (e.g., crutch hits a wet patch in the kitchen) that didn't result in a fall but sure caught me by surprise and left me with the...
  9. BoryMcDune

    THR There is light at the end of the tunnel

    @FL_Climber wow - hope the recovery following surgery stays on the positive side from now on. I am (was) active like you pre-surgery .. running 50+km / wk, hockey 3-6 times a week, bike to work all the time all year long, hiking, mountaineering. When I released I had to grit my teeth every...
  10. BoryMcDune

    THR Left 2013 - Now the right

    @dougie0216 Certainly so many things to say, one thing for sure ... you have a team of hippies thinking of you and your family. Although your son says "he needs peace and quiet, not relatives" you strike me as exactly the kind of person he needs right now. Safe travels and prayers.
  11. BoryMcDune

    Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

    Hi @sequin98 ... I am just a little north in Edmonton so share the Canada and Alberta experience. It took me 20 months from the day I phoned my sports medicine doc to tell him "it's time" to the day of hip surgery. The sports med doc was booked for 3 months - when I saw him he passed me on and 3...
  12. BoryMcDune

    THR BoryMcDune in recovery

    labanan, Josephine, dougie0216, forbesy, 313Lola, Gone again, Mojo333 thanks for all the great advice and comments. I have been a little busier this week trying a few hours in my office each day but also making sure I don't miss out on the rehab, even if it is only walking, which is so important...
  13. BoryMcDune

    THR Left 2013 - Now the right

    @dougie0216 - like you I am patiently waiting for the day I can get back on my bike(s) - mountain, road, cyclecross. Your recovery and activities are a bit of an inspiration. I am at day 27 since posterior LTHR and am walking ~2-3 km at a time ~ 4 times a day with my forearm crutches (mostly...
  14. BoryMcDune

    THR my new hips

    @Gone again - Good to hear you can finally use the crutches. I have surprised myself how happy I am each time I can do something new post-op that I previously couldn't. Celebrate the small wins and don't push for the big ones, they will come.
  15. BoryMcDune

    THR my new hips

    @Gone again - I sure hope you get some strength and stability soon to get more mobility that gets you outside. After a long winter that kept you inside, summer is the reward ... birds, flowers and blue sky.
Back
Top Bottom