BoryMcDune
junior member
Today is my 3 month anniversary since LTHR. Like Game of Thrones, "winter is here" with our first snowfall .. but this one won't last.
General health = no swelling for past month, no need for ice or painkillers, general stiffness when sitting or immobile for a period, some lingering pain. My walking gait has returned to normal and I am again walking faster than 95% of the population with no pain (at least for the first 3 km or so). Managing PT within reason (mostly at home) with a focus on strengthening muscle groups most affected by surgery (e.g., glut med, glut min) and increasing range of motion. PT with bands, training balls, glut bridge variations along with squats has been getting easier all the time. I get an aerobic workout at the gym ~ 3-4 times a week now, using various ellipticals or bikes within reason - no hard till you drop one hour sessions but yes like many other posters here, sometimes overdoing it. Observation .. not all ellipticals are the same (no kidding) and some are harder on a recovering hip injury than others. Took my road bike out last weekend thinking I might be ready to do my 12 km * twice daily commute for work since the bike-elliptical experience was usually quite positive but was hurting after a ~ 10 km ride ... though I recovered quickly from pain the next day. The pain might be due to the fact I went out and did a 25-27 km/h ride for the first of the season. I miss the long bike rides on rural roads watching fields of canola and barley grow through the summer and then getting harvested in the fall.
Main lingering pain = adductor pain (felt during movements like lifting the leg for stairs sometimes, lifting leg to put socks on, lift and swing the leg into the car). I have lived with almost constant adductor (groin) strains for most of my life owing to a "rather aggressive style of playing hockey and not listening to my body telling me it was time to stop" (this last sentence woudl make my wife laugh) so this isn't new to me. This pain mostly went away when I gave the sport up 4 years ago because my hip wouldn't take hockey anymore. However, it is the one pain that is resisting either rest or PT so far. Given that I am only 3 months out I don't expect any sympathy from other hipsters here but am wondering if anyone else has had lingering adducter pain after most other muscular pain symptoms return to normal. Strength and perhaps range of motion are other matters which I still need to work on within reason.
General health = no swelling for past month, no need for ice or painkillers, general stiffness when sitting or immobile for a period, some lingering pain. My walking gait has returned to normal and I am again walking faster than 95% of the population with no pain (at least for the first 3 km or so). Managing PT within reason (mostly at home) with a focus on strengthening muscle groups most affected by surgery (e.g., glut med, glut min) and increasing range of motion. PT with bands, training balls, glut bridge variations along with squats has been getting easier all the time. I get an aerobic workout at the gym ~ 3-4 times a week now, using various ellipticals or bikes within reason - no hard till you drop one hour sessions but yes like many other posters here, sometimes overdoing it. Observation .. not all ellipticals are the same (no kidding) and some are harder on a recovering hip injury than others. Took my road bike out last weekend thinking I might be ready to do my 12 km * twice daily commute for work since the bike-elliptical experience was usually quite positive but was hurting after a ~ 10 km ride ... though I recovered quickly from pain the next day. The pain might be due to the fact I went out and did a 25-27 km/h ride for the first of the season. I miss the long bike rides on rural roads watching fields of canola and barley grow through the summer and then getting harvested in the fall.
Main lingering pain = adductor pain (felt during movements like lifting the leg for stairs sometimes, lifting leg to put socks on, lift and swing the leg into the car). I have lived with almost constant adductor (groin) strains for most of my life owing to a "rather aggressive style of playing hockey and not listening to my body telling me it was time to stop" (this last sentence woudl make my wife laugh) so this isn't new to me. This pain mostly went away when I gave the sport up 4 years ago because my hip wouldn't take hockey anymore. However, it is the one pain that is resisting either rest or PT so far. Given that I am only 3 months out I don't expect any sympathy from other hipsters here but am wondering if anyone else has had lingering adducter pain after most other muscular pain symptoms return to normal. Strength and perhaps range of motion are other matters which I still need to work on within reason.
Canada