Recent content by BigDave

  1. BigDave

    Hip replacement at 40 years old... what's wrong with me

    I had my left hip done in February (at 39) and I'm constantly impressed with the results. Activities that would have been unbearable last year (e.g., a 2 hour flight) are now really easy. Since the surgery, I've already gone hiking, fly fishing, competed in a masters swim meet, tried...
  2. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    A quick update - I'm now 5 weeks post-op, doing PT 3 times/week and home exercise on the off days (mostly just nice long walks and stationary bike). I did, however, get back in the pool today for a swim. I'm darn sure not in race shape, but I managed moderate freestyle/butterfly sets for about...
  3. BigDave

    Hippies scars - post your badges of honor here: NO CHIT-CHAT HERE PLEASE

    Four weeks post-op today. Just a little 4" reminder of my February fun.
  4. BigDave

    When is it time?

    @frieds good luck with the decision. I'm 39 and just a couple weeks post-op. I had the same "when is it time" question. I just got to the point that I felt comfortable with the fact that the new hip would feel much better (it does) and the risks are relatively low. I also realized that I...
  5. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    So, I'm two weeks out today and things are still going pretty well. The sleeping arrangements aren't perfect, but I'm definitely getting caught up on XBOX and old movies (Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is still classic). I'm up to about 1.5 miles on my morning walk and I've been...
  6. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    A quick update and a couple questions. I'm now 10 days post- op and the recovery seems to be going well. I've been walking down to the neighborhood park or deli with just a little help from the cane. I'm still a little sore, but I'm managing with a couple Motrin a couple times/day. My...
  7. BigDave

    THR I made it!

    Man, I'm right there with you. It's definitely frustrating. I can tell my body (and attitude) go downhill by the end of the day. I just keep falling back on the opening line from one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs (Uncle John's Band): "Well, the first days are the hardest days, don't you...
  8. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    Recovery is going well, it was great to get home last night (I didn't sleep much at the hospital). Here's a pic of the hardware: I was surprised that the incision is only about 5 inches long, I had expected a much bigger tattoo. Back to Sochi!
  9. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    Thanks guys - I appreciate the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to taking first steps tomorrow.
  10. BigDave

    THR Broke on through to the recovery side

    Well, it's over. Almost no recollection of the actual procedure. Apart from the dry mouth, I'm in great shape. Almost no pain, just a little groggy. I wouldn't want to go through this every Wednesday, but the "bark" was much worse than the "bite."
  11. BigDave

    THR I made it!

    Congrats!
  12. BigDave

    Another "is it time" Thread

    Well, today's the day. I actually slept more than I expected last night. Lots of hand wringing and "this is crazy" thoughts before bed, but I'm pretty solid this morning. Looking forward to the recovery side of the forum - and a cup of coffee. I'll be a "Biomet Man" by noon.
  13. BigDave

    I've had enough of this so I'm getting it done!

    Hey @iang28 - I'm 39, also a former soccer player and still ride my mountain bike on weekends (not 40 miles/week). I probably blew my hip out playing indoor about 10 years ago. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped those last couple of seasons of beer-league soccer! Anyway, I'm...
  14. BigDave

    Another "is it time" Thread

    Pre-op seemed to go well (EKG, blood draw, chest X-rays, urinalysis, paperwork, etc), but I'll probably know more next week. It was nice to see the facility and talk to some nurses who see THR patients all day. @Hoppy Nanny, I will definitely use the term "swish" today. I hope it means...
Back
Top Bottom