Guest viewing is limited

When is it time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more @put2pasture! That is exactly how I felt. I was no longer living my life. My world was getting smaller and smaller because I was in pain all the time. This has been the best decision I have ever made! I am 3 weeks post op and the pain is GONE! I am mindful everyday of how I am progressing; baby steps towards a pain free life. I am so grateful. Best of luck to all of you trying to make this decision.
 
@frieds good luck with the decision. I'm 39 and just a couple weeks post-op. I had the same "when is it time" question. I just got to the point that I felt comfortable with the fact that the new hip would feel much better (it does) and the risks are relatively low. I also realized that I could probably wait another five years, become more arthritic and fall out of shape (I'm a swimmer). I'll probably need a revision, but waiting five years would just make me older when I get the revision. Just a matter of scheduling. I can only speak from my own limited experience, but I think being younger and in good shape probably speeds the recovery. It's been surprisingly easy. Again, good luck with the decision!
 
I have to agree with several comments above - when you decide that your quality of life has been diminished to such an extent that you feel you need to take the plunge, then do it! :)

You will always find a doc who says "you're too young" etc ... this was the standard reply from my rheumatologist.
However, when I met the OS and he saw my x-rays, he almmost immediately said "it's time", which was completely in line with how I felt too. 43 days and counting! :dancy:
 
Oh I'll add a couple things to my post. Here's what I saw that gave me warning signs.

The bad hip started giving out unexpectedly.

Also it started feeling unstable. It's difficult to explain but even though I was walking on pavement my left leg felt like it could slip out at any time. Like I was putting my foot down on ice.

Then of course the really bad days (always at work) where I just wanted to go home. I can't do that though I am a teacher so I was stuck and had to deal.

This is a good thread. I needed the reminder because I feel pretty good at the moment with the cortisone shot.
 
Many say wait because will wear out.
It's a well worn myth but still a myth. Surgeons are these days confidently speaking of the 'forever' hip which means that for people like you, having a hip replacement in this stage of our technology, it is predicted that hips will long outlast you! Besides which, if IF it lasts 30-40 years, you will be in your 90s before you need to worry about this!
OS really talked about this is elective. Not life and death. And that I'm young.
Almost 50 is actually becoming the key age to have joint replacements. Lots in their 30s and even 20s are having them.
But then says arthritis never goes away can only been treated and won't get better.
No it doesn't go away but it's not static either. It is a progressive, destructive condition which is robbing you of your quality of life. You will never get these prime years of your life back again so even if they 'only' last 20-30 years, you still have a life to live NOW!

I was also told it is quite severe my condition at 50
Ya think? I've seen patients with advanced arthritis in their 30s. I think some professionals say that in the mistaken belief it makes the truth easier for the patient to live with.
The osteopath I trust said that if it revealed that it was the dysplasia from birth then yes, an operation would be imminently needed like you. But it is not hip displasia from birth but bilateral protrusion acetabulae.
Well, sorry, but she's wrong. Acetabulae protrusio arises from an undiagnosed dysplasic hip and that's either a congenital (born with) condition or a condition that develops in infancy called Perthes Disease which causes the hips to start deforming whilst the infant is growing which can go on until they are adults.
what is the consequence of waiting?
The real consequence of waiting is two-fold
1. the condition will inevitably get worse. This might be over a period of time or it might be quickly. Read Jaycey's post about how her femoral head caved in. This can happen and it's not nice. Trust me, I've seen a few in my time! At that point the patient is begging to get it done.
2. you lose a lot of your life NOW. Quality of life. Life is precious. If you lose it you will never get it back again and all that time spent with kids and grandkids, playing with them, watching them grow, being able to take them places and share in their fun - all gone! But you will have the satisfaction in your twilight years of thinking "I coped and put it off"!

If you want a tool to help you make this decision, here is a form which you can fill in and add up the numbers to see where you are. The numbers are only meaningful to you, so don't post them here. Just know that the more you score in columns 3 and 4, the more you need this surgery.
 

Attachments

Josephine, I think we have to set you onto my GPs, they are now telling patients the new joints only last 5 years!!!
If that was true, nobody would bother and we've all got big trouble!!!
In reality, I suspect it's just a delaying tactic until the new NHS settles in.
 
@AndisMom...Oh my I can't even imagine trying to navigate through an airport with this pain...I feel for you..I know...I think maybe we will be getting our life back with this surgery. I had those shots to and yes they did work for awhile. It was awesome walking and feeling normal, then slowly the pain returned with all the other pains especially in my knee.ouch....and my limp is really hard to hide..I hope your decision for 3/24 is the best decision of you life!!! I think it will be...you will soon be running to catch a plain and you can kiss that wheel chair good bye lol.:heehee:..best of luck to you!!!!:SUNsmile:
 
@chaseyboy thank you for the well wishes...it has been so hard with the knee and now the hip trying to at least pretend to look as though I am not too old for my job...just impossible now with the walking cane. If the hip fix doesn't do the trick, I will have to change my work so I don't have to do all the travel and business meetings. A desk job might be more doable at this stage. ;)

...anyway best of luck to you also!
Pam (Andis mom)
 
@frieds
Hi sorry that I have been away for for a while. ..when is the time right? ¿???
Well if you have, like you say had major deterioration over the last year........... Then go for it!!
It's no good second guessing yourself all the time...
I am now 8 weeks post op and things are going really well... I have been back at work for 2 weeks (could have gone back earlier) my mobility is really great... Today I went to London for the day with my family, and I must have walked over 4 miles, with very little discomfort.., no crutch of cane needed..... I even nearly missed the train and broke in to a gentle jog..
What I am trying to say, is that having my hip replacement, has been, for me a life changing decision, and when my right hip gets to the point, I won't hesitate in having that one done....
 
@frieds
Hi sorry that I have been away for for a while. ..when is the time right? ¿???

So good to hear from you! Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul. I'm pretty sure I found my guy (OS) now just need to pick up the phone and schedule May/June. Nervous but I do want to travel and walk and do the world again!!! Do glad you're well!!!! Makes me happy!

And thanks to all for your continued support and confidence. It truly does help is "newbies" - who've only been dealing with this prospect for a little over a year now!
 
I hear you all.. The pain is getting worse everyday. Never thought I would say this but the fear of the whole thing is getting overridden by the need to get my life completely back. SO much great stuff coming up in my life .. And don't want to be missing out because of pain. Now I only wish I could do it sooner but being a teacher I need to try to get thru to may.. I hope I can!!!
 
Well if I had any hesitation before, the pain I have had this weekend has convinced me that it's TIME! I have no idea how I am gonna get on 2 planes tomorrow, drag luggage and check into a hotel when I can barely make it to the bathroom. :groan:
 
Just adding my 2 cents worth. .i think when quality of life is affected then you start to think that surgery is worth it. When you start planing your activities around how little you can move due to pain or all you think about is your hip then it may be time to consider it.

Even with all my complications, I think I'm better off having had the surgery. I'm off the antibiotics and pain has exploded in my joint and it reminds me of how I used to be. I love my new hip.

It's a lot to consider but why worry about it wearing out before you have even got it. My husband reminded me that we just don't know what the future holds so why spend years of it pain when there is a solution?

Get all the opinions you need, ready everything about the subject you can on here, and ask as many questions as you like. I think knowledges makes you powerful.

Best of luck and I'll look out for you around the threads!!!!!
 
The common theme in this thread is not pain but quality of life. No one seems to be saying I am getting this done because I hurt, but because my quality of life is affected. Important distinction IMHO.
 
The common theme in this thread is not pain but quality of life.

I think that is not really true because quality life would not be impacted if there were no pain. Pain is at the heart of the issue. I could not walk before my surgery because of pain. It's really pretty simple. One surgeon in my area uses the trick of injected novocaine into the joint to demonstrate how the patient will feel after the hip replacement. All he did was remove the pain.
 
Alan, mostly thats true of course but range of motion is certainly limiting in itself and not necessarily painful. Most of what I was referring to was that you don't hear many people saying, I am getting it done because the pain was too great to manage, they are saying they are tired of the loss of quality in their lives. To me that is significant.

I do understand what your saying.
 
I'm 64 and have been in pain for about 6 months OS found back problems and sent me to Neurosurgeon who performed back surgery which helped my sciatic nerve problem however still am not able to even go to the store without hip pain in the groin as well as in the behind hip joint. I'm going back to OS on 2/26 after 2 and a half weeks after injections in the hip. Still wondering if total hip replacement is what will be required to get my life back. OS told my the joint was arthritic but he wanted to try shots first. Made me wonder if it is bad enough to be replaced or should I try more PT.
 
I am 6 weeks out today and like most are 'on the fence' about going through with it. At my last meeting with my OS prior to the Holidays, we discussed how I felt after my bilateral injections in early October. I told him I had no issues and felt like a 'rock star' (only an expression as I can't sing nor play guitar) for about 10 days. He replied "that's what it will feel like with new hips". I think of this when I feel like maybe I will just wait.
I like most want my life back. We all have stories of how this impacts us, but the only real solition is THR. Can we cope? Well we all seem to. I thought myself to be too young,it was my OS that suggested that we take care of my hips and start replacing them. And for that I thank him. Hopefully I still will in 6 weeks. :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom