Guest viewing is limited

Another "is it time" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, I'll check it. My wife keeps a super healthy diet, so this will give me a good opportunity to shift focus to the calories-in. She's a stay at home mom who will get to play stay at home nurse/cook/PT in about 6 weeks! Lucky girl.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Big Dave,

Just had anterior after two years of rapid hip deterioration. My hip was bone on bone and in much the same squashed shape (marshmallow described by surgeon) as yours. While I could still do the elliptical at the gym and lift weights I had limits. I also could not go places like the beach, mall, golf, hike, etc without worry or pain. My hip was imploding. I have a very stressful demanding job too that requires lots of driving. I made the decision to move forward since in the long run, my quality of life and the quality of life of those around me would be positively impacted. My husband and daughter run races, I watch and lately had hobbled around to take their pictures. In a nutshell, I wanted to start living life without that constant nagging worry regarding limitations or sadness or regret over what I could or could not do.

I am now post five days and while it's still quite new and painful I have hope that I'm on the uptick side. It was scary making the decision to go under the saw ;) but the final weekend prior to hip surgery I went on a tour of homes in my town and walked in pain about a mile and a half. My daughter and husband worried about me the whole time. It was the final straw for me and the realization that I was making a great decision. I reminded my family that if I complained about pain to just say house tour! Nothing I'm even dealing with post op today even comes close to that nagging pain that I knew without surgery would not go away!

Best to you in your decision! I'm updating my recovery topic as much as possible so others will have someone else's site to look at. I plan on returning to work in three weeks on site, two weeks remote if I'm off the meds. That gets me back in the swing of things January 2nd! Happy new year to me! I also met my deductible this year and have family here, for the moat part, to help so the end of the year was a great plan for me. Hard to get two teens to help but they are trying! My husband has been great! He's going golfing today! He needs a break! Beat Dave! Thanks for letting me bend your ear too!
 
@dkirk0530 - thanks for the kind thoughts. Sounds like you're doing great so soon after the procedure. I've had similar experiences with walking (I recently walked in a Christmas parade with my cub scout and thought I might give him a chance to achieve his first aid badge). Congratulations on your recovery and keep us posted!
 
Thanks! You too. T-minus 4.5 weeks and counting.
 
@zumzumpammy Hi. I noticed you are from San Diego. I am with Kaiser and I am having my surgery at Sharp Coronado in March. If you don't mind me asking, where did you have yours done? I am also still quite active. I spin, do body-pump, and the elliptical without difficulty, yet I find when I walk too far or do a lot of stop and go walking, like shopping, my hips will start to hurt.
 
@Poppet - I hope so. Maybe it's because I finally confirmed that my hip is shot, but it's really been painful lately. I played some soccer today with my 8-year old and it was brutal. I think I've answered my initial "is it time" question!
 
Yes, I think you have Dave. But just think, have your surgery, recover and you will be back playing with your son..
 
@BigDave Your story sounds a lot like mine. I am having trouble making a decision for surgery, but I think it is probably time. The bad thing is that I find myself wishing I would have more pain so I would feel more sure about going ahead with my surgery. How weird is that?
 
Loving that interaction @Dmcfad2 and @fulafoto....it's nice to know that you can still make light of it.....made me chuckle!! Here's to more...or less pain...!!! I know which I prefer!!! Good luck to all of those with surgery coming up. Cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@fulafoto Don't know how I would have coped without it Bill..an amazing place with amazing people xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Had my pre-op visit today and joint replacement class - it's getting real! I was impressed with the hospital, a small 11 bed specialty hospital connected to the larger general hospital. Private room, reasonable food, newish tv. Shouldn't be too bad for a short stay. I'm resigned to becoming an absolute expert on the Winter Olympics.
 
Big Dave. It will never get better by itself. Bone on bone can get so painfull that all your activities will cease. It can get to where you sit in the corner and hope there is no activity that you have to do. Get it done and live again. I had them both replaced 2013 and I can do everything again. Pain free is a better life.
 
@BigDave. Hospital sounds swish!! Glad all went well at pre op...The waiting is the worst bit!! Take care . Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Pre-op seemed to go well (EKG, blood draw, chest X-rays, urinalysis, paperwork, etc), but I'll probably know more next week. It was nice to see the facility and talk to some nurses who see THR patients all day.

@Hoppy Nanny, I will definitely use the term "swish" today. I hope it means "nice," like, "swish car, dude," but if it means "sounds like a dump," nobody in Oklahoma will know. I like the international nature of this board!
 
BigDave, you seem worried about work and keeping busy. I have a small business I run from home - the work includes packing and shipping (clothes for premature babies) and working at my computer, I didn't ship the day of surgery or two days in the hospital - next day I sat in a chair while my daughter and niece went around the house and garage finding things where I told them and printed shipping labels. Two days later I was doing labels and packing myself with husband's help getting the items. By two weeks I was doing it all myself. Now, mind you, I only spent a couple of hours a day, took at least two naps a day and ignored any work that did not HAVE to be done. I think you will be able to do enough work to keep from going stir-crazy but remember even at your age I takes a big toll on your endurance and let it come back slowly. You are young, you have plenty of time. Pain meds as you need them may make you sleepier but sleep is GOOD for healing. I am almost six weeks now - pretty much back to normal but much less pain than before. Still a little less endurance and only starting to get back on my exercise bike - can't wait for snow and cold to go away so I can ride outside - it was the one thing that did not hurt my hip and I did it every day in summer and fall!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom